Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Veg Chilli recipe please

Question Veg Chilli recipe please

I have discovered a liking for mexican style food recently. Does anyone have a good vegetarian chilli recipe as I would appreciate it. I looked at one in a Linda McCartney book and amended it and it tasted fab IMHO. But would like to try something a bit spicier.

Thanks in advance
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Boil up 2 cups of lentils, puw lentils or aduki beans. Saute onions, garlic and some peppers. Add to this a tablespoon of both chilli powder and ground cumin and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper, then saute for a further few seconds. Remove from heat and add a tin of tomatoes and a cup of water. Then add some frozen or fresh corn, a tin of kidney beans and the lentils or aduki beans and simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and thicken, if required with tomato puree. Serve on a bed of brown, wild organic rice or a baked potato and some garlic bread.
    Last edited by Shabbychic; 11-Apr-09 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    I have discovered a liking for mexican style food recently. Does anyone have a good vegetarian chilli recipe as I would appreciate it. I looked at one in a Linda McCartney book and amended it and it tasted fab IMHO. But would like to try something a bit spicier.

Thanks in advance
    You could use any chilli recipe and just substitute the beef mince for Quorn mince!

Yes the Quorn mince makes and excellent chilli or spag bol!!

Quorn seems to be quite popular these days, and could I suppose be deemed as healthier than red meat, but it is not suitable for everyone.

If for instance you are a vegan or don't eat eggs, then Quorn is not for you as it uses egg white as a binder. It also contains milk.

Quorn is also marketed in a way that makes many believe it is made from a mushroom type fungus. This is not totally true. Although it is sort of fungus based, it is nothing like mushrooms. It is in fact a highly processed, vat-grown mould, and as such should be used with caution by people who are allergic to moulds, like Penecillin.

The other problem with Quorn is the controversy over it's RNA (Ribonucleic Acid) content, which can increase the risk of gout and kidney stones. At the moment they reduce the RNA content to 2%, but have recently applied to have this increased to 6%.

So for those who have used it before, enjoy it and have had no adverse reactions, I don't see a problem. If however someone is about to use it for the first time, do some research first, (not on the Quorn site of course), and make sure it is suitable for you.
    Last edited by Shabbychic; 12-Apr-09 at 12:02.