Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Space station and Caithness

Default Space station and Caithness

I read in various national newspapers today that radio amateurs from Caithness communicated with the space station and an astronaut of Scottish ascendence. Congratulations to them, should they be on www.caithness.org Its nice to read about Caithness on a national level.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

it was in the local paper first page this week

I did say: it's nice to read about Caithness on a NATIONAL level.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

no difference on org or several papers

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_
    I read in various national newspapers today that radio amateurs from Caithness communicated with the space station and an astronaut of Scottish ascendence. Congratulations to them, should they be on www.caithness.org Its nice to read about Caithness on a national level.
    took a tear to ma eye so it did

Default Thanks

Many thanks for the comments on the Story of the members of the Caithness Amateur Radio Society contacting the Space Station
    If anybody is Interested in Amateur Radio or Radio in general please come to the Nethercliffe Hotel in WICK where we meet on the FIRST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH at 7:30 pm. NO qualifications etc are necessary other than an interest in radio.If you so wish training is available to enable you to take an exam in order to gain a amateur radio licence to enable you to operate real radios on various modes of operation be it the old morse code or modern digital computer or voice and who knows you may be the next to speak to the space station or something different
    Ta very much DRM

Thanks DRM for your comments maybe its not too well known but anyone with a scanner could hear the the International Space Station when it is over head by programming in 145.800 fm
    A good link regarding the old space suit the astronauts threw out (SUITSAT)is http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl/main.html
    it gives recordings and data It was heard I believe in Murkle and Sarclet Dare i say it not locations normally associated with space communications (with due respect to the people who live there!!)
    Thanks for your efforts to put Caithness on the map
    Peter