Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Favorite Genre

Default Favorite Genre

Mine is westerns old and new. Everything from Gary Cooper and Randolph Scott to John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. My favorite being High Noon with gary cooper.

Next has to be Sci-fi, with Aliens in Number one spot.

Whats everyone else's Favorite Genre of movie?.

Percy is yours summit with Vikings init lol

My top 5 westerns

1. High Noon - Gary Cooper, Thomas Mitchell, Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado, Grace Kelly.
    2. The Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris.
    3. The Searchers - John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Vera Miles, Ward Bond, Natalie Wood.
    4. The good, The Bad and The Ugly - Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.
    5. Once Upon a Time in the West - Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson and Jason Robards
    Last edited by youoldduffer; 08-Mar-09 at 15:21.

If we're talking genre's - and the Vikings was pretty much a western with horns and boats...a 'northern' maybe ;-)

I like Westerns too...my top five (Westerns) today would be...

Shane
    Unforgiven
    The Missing
    Dances with Wolves
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Open Range and the recent re-make of 3.10 to Yuma are also pretty good.

I like a good cowboy too but I could just as easily enjoy a musical. My favourite genre would be action thrillers like Die Hard, The Seige, Patriot Games etc.

Post Not sure what this says about me........

I'm not sure what this says about me,

Big butch bloke and all.....

But I quite like - sensitive, not quite romantic, movies e.g. 'As good as it gets'

I'm not sure what the Genre would be, but I like movies that have something to say about people, relationships etc.

Another example would be 'lost in translation'

My next best choice is more by certain directors than than Genre e.g. The Cohen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino.

I have to admit that I don't do 'Art' films, but i do think that often the foreign original is better than the Hollywood remake e.g. The Vanishing, The Ring etc.

But I think I'm waffling.....

One final thought, Westerns I woudl have to say that i prefer the modern style e.g Unforgiven and Pale Rider, rather than the traditional, Cavalry rescue, or good triumphs over bad traditional movies - sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I like a good cowboy too but I could just as easily enjoy a musical. My favourite genre would be action thrillers like Die Hard, The Seige, Patriot Games etc.

Have you had a chance to see The Punisher Warzone I was not impressed with the Dolph Lungren version, I thought the 2004 version was better. This version was well watchable just what I remember from the comic book's. Not much of a story but the action makes up for it.
    Last edited by youoldduffer; 12-Mar-09 at 12:55.

oh i'm into HORROR'S,SC-FI,THILLERS,ACTION.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.ROY'S DEATH BLADE RUNNER 1982

Hmmm Sci-Fi, Comedy, horror, action....em...cant think now lol. Not really into cowboy/western, classics etc etc..
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!