Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sticky Toffee Pudding

Default Sticky Toffee Pudding

I've found a new recipe which says to pour a cup of caramel sauce over the cake after 45 mins in the oven, then finish baking it. Has anyone ever tried this? I've only ever poured caramel sauce and cream over slices, but am intrigued.

I've always made the sauce seperate and poured over before serving, but would be interested to try your recipe.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Would love any recipe for sticky toffee pudding, I have never made it.

i would love recipe to for sticky toffee puddind to please.

Default Sticky Toffee Pudding #2

I'm going to try this recipe next weekend, but already know I'll make some adjustments i.e. use a 9 inch springform pan instead of a "bundt pan" Also I'll substitute light brown sugar in the batter. If anyone bakes it before then, comments are welcome!

Sticky Toffee Pudding #2

For sauce
    • 4 cups whipping cream
    • 2 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
    For cake
    • 2 1/2 cups flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1 1/4 cups chopped pitted dates
    • 2 teaspoons baking soda

• 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 2/3 cup sugar
    • 4 large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Make sauce:
    Bring cream, brown sugar and butter to boil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer sauce until reduced to 3 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Set aside. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, before using.)
    Make cake:
    Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Butter 12-cup Bundt pan. Whisk flour and baking powder in medium bowl to blend; set aside. Combine 1 1/2 cups water, dates and baking soda in another heavy saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat; cool completely.
    Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in vanilla and half of flour mixture, then date mixture. Blend in remaining flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake until cake rises and is golden on top, about 45 minutes. Pour 3/4 cup caramel sauce over cake; continue baking until tester inserted near center of cake comes out with no crumbs (only caramel sauce) attached, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert cake onto platter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Wrap cake airtight and store at room temperature. Cover remaining caramel sauce and refrigerate. Rewarm sauce over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, before using.)
    Cut cake into slices; drizzle caramel sauce over each slice.
    Last edited by sassylass; 08-Mar-09 at 19:34.

Default Sticky Toffee Pudding #1

This is my usual recipe, it's from the Beginish Restaurant in Dingle Ireland. The coffee flavour is a nice addition.

Sticky Toffee Pudding #1

• 1 1/4 cups dates, finely chopped
    • 1 cup boiling water
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
    • 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda

• Powdered sugar
    • Whipped cream
    • Caramel Sauce
    Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter parchment. Place chopped dates in small bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water over dates and let cool, about 1 hour.
    Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl to blend. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of flour and beat to blend. Add remaining 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Add remaining flour and beat until blended. Combine instant coffee and baking soda in small bowl. Pour into date mixture, stirring to dissolve coffee granules. Add date mixture to batter and beat to blend. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
    Cool pudding until just warm. Unmold; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream and Caramel Sauce.

Recipe 1 is better than recipe 2, in my opinion. I recommend pouring 1 cup caramel sauce over the cake after 45 minutes, then finish baking. If you follow the caramel sauce recipe from recipe #2, you'll have plenty left to pour over slices.