Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bilingual English/Gaelic signs on trunk roads being reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Richman, you are asking this man to find you a lassie

She's an absolute doll, he is one lucky man.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    She's an absolute doll, he is one lucky man.
    does she speak the galeic ?

Tha thu cearr a bhodaich.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Gaelic is a pointless language where people speak with loads of phlegm!!!
    Its all och,ach and the like,dont dig it myself its hard enough trying to understand tea in a bowlies!!!!

Exclamation

in golspie every street is named in the gaelic as well ,as for me it takes me all my time to speak sense tony

Talking

I can speak a few words of gaelic - mostly at 3 year old level, would not be able to type it as the spelling would be all wrong - unless you wanted it phonetically. Can sing loads of songs though - really struggle to sing 'the wheels on the bus' in english, no probs in gaelic.

Off to find some Sular and Banja for the little one. (strawberries and milk)!

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by richman View Post
    gettin back to my question , does any one know how many galeic speaker 's there are in the county?
    Not picking you up richman, moreover a polite correction of the English spelling of Gaelic - "Gàidhlig" in it's own language. Try the last census. There are several folks in the county who speak Gaelic - some born and bred learners (all levels and up to fluent). Some moved to the county various lengths of time ago who live and work here. Some who don't actively use their first language because they have no need to but it is still their first language all the same. Unless you are in their company where reference to the language arises, you may never know that they are Gaelic speakers - but they are in our midst all the same, reading the papers, watching the news and listening to councillors and public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tighsonas4
    in golspie every street is named in the gaelic as well
    The street names in Gaelic were introduced I believe as part of the preparation for when Golspie and Brora hosted the Royal National Mod in 1995. Fort William, Blairgowrie and other places since have introduced this as a way of welcoming the visitors. I don't know if they did the same in Falkirk last year. I am the convenor of the local committee for the Mod in Caithness 2010 and we (for fairly obvious reasons) haven't touched the idea with a barge pole!

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4
    Gaelic is a pointless language where people speak with loads of phlegm!!!
    Its all och,ach and the like,dont dig it myself its hard enough trying to understand tea in a bowlies!!!!
    If I ever meet you I'll remember to bring the papertowels! What about the tea in a bowlies that speak Gaelic - you've no chance heh-heh!

WBG

Caithness owes its history to the Nordic regions, NOT the Gael.
    I admit, there are some Gaelic influenced place names in Caithness, but vast majority are Viking. Even the name Caithness "Ness of the Catt people", has nothing to do with the Gael.
    I cant see a bigger waste of money than introducing this in Caithness, and I hope it never happens.
    The rest of Scotland, yep, im all for that, but NOT Caithness, Orkney, or Shetland. We have roots that come from Scandanavia, and I for one am VERY proud of this heritage.

Smile Good!

I'm so pleased to see the Transport minister quoshing the hopes of the extremists of the Highland Council Gaelic committee.

Hopefully by the time they've done their survey and decided it's not safe, they'll also have worked out that we've got better things to spend our money on than Gaelic signage, on the roads or anywhere else.

btw, WBG, best wishes for your preparations for the Mod 2010 - how's it going?

Just for the record I have nothing against Gaels or Gaelic speakers. I just find it pointless and a waste of resources-BBC Alba Anyone?
    Each to their own but dont see why a Minority language should be forced onto signs that the majority cant read!

It is wrong to say that Caithness has no Gaelic tradition. Whilst it's use in the county died out many years ago, as late as 1901 up to 10% of our people spoke it, with the greatest use in Latheron parish.

To deny that history is akin to saying there were no brochs in the county.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    NOT Caithness, Orkney, or Shetland. We have roots that come from Scandanavia, .
    There were Gaelic Kings ruling Scotland and even Caithness from the 574 AD, the Viking's came to Caithness 300 years later, I too am proud of my Caithness roots, but to deny that there never was any Gaelic influence is wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottis...s_gaels2.shtml
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I wouldnt want to deny caithness it's Gaelic history. This is not about history though. It's about deep cultural inheritance. This issue has gone deeper than most non Cathnessians can understand. Ive worked with Gaels and lived in Gaelic communities and although I have an affinity with them as a fellow human being, I am not a Gael. I'm from Caithness. Our cultural background is Norse. Even our lanscape is different. It changes the moment you cross the Ord in the east or pass the Split Stone in the west. To deny Caithness it's natural heritage by branding us with Gaelic names is short-sighted and portrays a political system akin to bullying if the Highland Council insists on these measures.
    I think it's nonsense to fight these measures on the grounds of safety although it gives us a breathing space.
    Caithness needs to stand it's ground against the politically romantic movement now sweeping the corridors of Highland Council buildings in Inverness.
    I think Highland Council and it's Gael co-ordintators have grossly overestimated their own enthusiasm for the Gaelic Language and now need to be told firmly but freindly that we are not Gaels in Caithness and probably never have been.

Well said Gleeber!!
    Im delighted to find another that feels just like myself about this issue.

Golach,
    This is about Gaelic road signs, IE- place names. I think you will find that the majority of place names in Caithness DO have Norse origins!!
    I did say that Caithness shares some Gaelic roots, but we are predominantly of Norse origins.
    I am not against Gaelic, indeed my son has a gaelic name.
    These are my beliefs, and everyone is entitled to their free beliefs.

If you would care to search some Orkney/Shetland forums, you will find the same sort of feelings as mine. My family history is split, between Caithness and Shetland origins, which Im in no doubt sways my thoughts even further.

I do know my Caithness history, in fact it is one of my main interests!
    Last edited by Even Chance; 10-Mar-09 at 11:21.

Yes, but Gaelic was historically the majority language of Caithness even though our culture derives largely from non-Gaelic influences, the argument against Gaelic road signs should not be (as some would have it) that we have no tradition in the Gaelic language.

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    Not picking you up richman, moreover a polite correction of the English spelling of Gaelic - "Gàidhlig" in it's own language. Try the last census. There are several folks in the county who speak Gaelic - some born and bred learners (all levels and up to fluent). Some moved to the county various lengths of time ago who live and work here. Some who don't actively use their first language because they have no need to but it is still their first language all the same. Unless you are in their company where reference to the language arises, you may never know that they are Gaelic speakers - but they are in our midst all the same, reading the papers, watching the news and listening to councillors and public opinion.

WBG
    och i ken fine how til spell the gaelic , i choost canna type straight lol !!!

i 'll try e cenusus but hev ye a rough guess how many ??? more than 100 ???

i dinna ken why sum o ye 's is sayin there 's no gaelic in caithness , i mind ma grannie sayin there wis folk in reay an melvich speakin it when she wis a lassie . but i 'm no wantin galeic road signs cos i dinna speak it and their confusin til me , so at tourist 's will be thinkin we 're pure dead mental puttin up signs we dinna understand werselve 's !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pinotnoir View Post
    Yes, but Gaelic was historically the majority language of Caithness even though our culture derives largely from non-Gaelic influences, the argument against Gaelic road signs should not be (as some would have it) that we have no tradition in the Gaelic language.

I do agree with you there pinotnoir.
    Its the place names that bother me.
    Example- the Name "Inbhir Uig" referring to Wick is just plain wrong, and to be frank, is insulting.
    Wick, as we probably all know, comes from the Norse "Vik", being pronounced exactly as we say "Wick" Meaning- "Bay"
    The proper pronunciation for "Viking", also being more like "wyking"

Certainly use the Gaelic names on the signs if the modern day names are actually derived from Gaelic, I have no problem with that, and would actively encourage it.
    I would also encourage the Council to place the Norse names onto their respective modern day signs, as I would consider this to be just as historically important to Caithness. This would also let more holiday-makers know that it is not just Orkney/Shetland that are proud of their Viking roots.
    This could also be used to make Caithness a holiday destination, instead of simply a tourist route to the isles. We should therefore actively encourage "cashing in" on our unique heritage, just as Orkney and Shetland have done. It has certainly worked for them!!

Looks as if our wonderful government, has at last made a common sense decision

http://news.scotsman.com/topstories/...uts.5054119.jp

Just a thought, does our government think that Scottish drivers are more stupid than say the Welsh, or Irish drivers, their road signs are in dual languages, and have been for years.
    Last edited by golach; 12-Mar-09 at 16:11. Reason: rockchick thought I was having a go at the Canucks
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Default gaelic

It's quite obvious that Potato head has a chip on his shoulder.
    Richard Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Looks as if our wonderful government, has at last made a common sense decision

http://news.scotsman.com/topstories/...uts.5054119.jp

Just a thought, does our government think that Scottish drivers are more stupid than say the Welsh, or the Canadian drivers, their road signs are in dual languages, and have been for years.
    *Ahem*

I'm Welsh. Are you trying to say I am stupid ?? ..

The dual language signs have never been an issue in any way here, To be honest I have been up to Edinburgh for Scotland v Wales games and never understood why a country like Scotland that values it heritage and uniqueness so much largely ignores a major selling point like the Gaelic language.

Everything is dual language here, road markings, road signs and the Police, Fire and Ambulance vehicles too. I have never heard of it really being an issue, we have a lot of non welsh neighbours and they have never complained to my knowledge. I have seen a couple of English bikers a bit shaken after seeing "ARAF" on the road and concentrating on it as its unfamiliar, they must have missed the big "SLOW" painted right next to it though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast