Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Great Debaters.......any good?

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Question The Great Debaters.......any good?

Although I'm a Denzel Washington fan, I have yet to see this movie. I'm thinking of renting it this week, and wondered if any of my fellow Orgers have seen it yet. If so, how would you rate it?

Not even heard of it Sporran- has it been released over here yet?
    The U.S. is usually a few months ahead of us....even with some
    'British' Films like Slumdog Millionaire.

I'm assuming it has been released over in the UK, Percy. It came to American cinemas in December 2007, and was released on DVD in May 2008.

I did finally get around to renting "The Great Debaters", and it is a good film. Hubby and I both enjoyed it, but it may not be everybody's cup of tea. It's a drama based on the true story of Melvin B Tolson, a professor at the all-black Wiley College in Texas. In 1935, he inspired students to form the school's first debate team, and placed them on an equal footing with whites. This in a time of racial segregation, and when lynch mobs were still pervasive in the American South.

Denzel Washington plays Melvin B Tolson, and although he was quite believable in the role, it wasn't his greatest performance, in my opinion. I was more impressed with him in "American Gangster", which was also released in 2007.