Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Mamma Mia

Cool Mamma Mia

I watched this yesterday. Have to say, I was quite disappointed. It had a few amusing moments but I found so much of it drawn out. I could not emphasise with Meryl Streep's character and the daughter was just annyoing.

But it was quite fun.

What did the org's film critics think?
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

i loved it
    thought the acting was great and soo was the music, my 5 year old loves it aswell lol
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

I've watched it three times now since last November - on dvd.
    First time I had an inane grin on my face almost all the way through it.
    Loved the radiance of the location shots. The Greek Island cheered me up.
    I'd been no fan of Streep but she lit up the screen. The young lass who played her daughter was ideal and vivacious.

The film was made by women and starred women and possibly appealed mostly to women but I liked it too. The cast had a fabulous time making it and how it showed.

I do like Abba music so that helped. My 6y.o. Grandaughter had the grin too when she watched it so it might be a genetic trait. I bought her the c.d. soundtrack and she loves it.Mrs.T was less enamoured of the movie after the second viewing but all in all it was one of the film highlights of 2008 for yours tobogganly.

All that said I'll perhaps not watch it again this side of my dotage.
    c.2026

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Hubby and I went to see it at the cinema last year, and we both absolutely loved it! We'd been told beforehand that it was a "feel good" movie, and we were not disappointed. It exceeded our expectations, in fact!

Like Percy says, it was obvious that the cast had a fabulous time making it, and their exuberance was contagious. The music was fantastic, of course. Hubby and I have loved Abba's music since back in the day, and this movie was a brilliant way to revive it.

Talking

me and my oh have both seen it and thought that it was a good film something feelgood about it.

I did enjoy it but not as much as I was expecting to - considering all the hype surrounding it. It annoyed me that Meryl's singing wasn't that good and other actors/actresses weren't up to scratch singing-wise too. But it had a good story and was quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ett23 View Post
    I did enjoy it but not as much as I was expecting to - considering all the hype surrounding it. It annoyed me that Meryl's singing wasn't that good and other actors/actresses weren't up to scratch singing-wise too. But it had a good story and was quite funny.

i thought that there singing was good and made it better that they werent up to scratch,
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    i thought that there singing was good and made it better that they werent up to scratch,
    Absolutely right Ash - you have pointed out the essence of the film.

I have to say that it helps if you like the music, and i thought that was part of the appeal, that maybe they did not have the best singing voices, but it seemed to shine through that they enjoyed themseves making it

Quote Originally Posted by Undine View Post
    I have to say that it helps if you like the music, and i thought that was part of the appeal, that maybe they did not have the best singing voices, but it seemed to shine through that they enjoyed themseves making it
    If you have the dvd please watch the extyras. Brosnan was beside himself at landing such a gig.
    Blimey! what a six weeks that location shoot would have been eh.

Amazingly a heck of a lot of it was shot in Hertfordshire. Brilliant set designers and technology made it seem totally Greek Islandish.

Unhappy Mamma Mia

I received this in the post the other day from ...oh well I won't say who...trouble was it was supposed to be "Taken"...the contrast of styles made me laugh!...Eventually!
    Especially as we already have 2 copies of MM...Xmas eh?
    No probs on a return and proper film in the post now.

Mr Sassy and I enjoyed it, the cinematography was great, the music was good, the actors were entertaining, and we liked how the plot was woven around the songs. I saw it a second time when a friend invited some of us ladies over for a Mamma Mia sing-a-long evening. We dressed up in sarongs and shell necklaces and such, and sang karaoke along with the film. It was great fun and with enough wine we didn't sound half bad .