Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Accents

Default Regional Accents

Will accents disappear with globalisation, education and the ozzie soap influence?

If so, will we lament on their passing? Are they a worthy mark of identity?

I have noticed that I have had to tone down my accent and speak the Queen's English to enable myself to be understood in Caithness but no one seems to tone down their accent for my benefit , I'm not complaining though, I like the Caithness acccent and dialect. I am just worried that we may be sleeping walking into a bland society that is bereft of diversity in parlance.

(I have been reading Melvyn Bragg's 'The Adventure of the English Language' and found it to be a great read because I share the author's dialect.)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Hasnt Bragg's dialect been a little elevated beyond Wigton. I think he only reverts when he wished t re-commune with the common man.

Eventually much of localised dialect and regional accents will disappear into the homogenous melting pot some politicians crave.

This may be the least of our concerns but by then I will have shuffled off this mortal coil, you too probably Rheghead.

It's an interesting question, I think part of the answer concerns whether or not regional words continue to be used in everyday speech. The use of regional words and terms should be encouraged as IMHO it adds to the uniqueness of a place.

I hope accents stay cos I love them, although I find my own (north Belfast) a little bit jarring. I have noticed that my own has toned down a bit in the years since I have been in Caithness. Last time I went back I was told I sounded posh! I don't.

My wife and mother-in-law are going over to Belfast in a couple of weeks for the first time. I predict four days of almost constant interpreting for them.
    Ashley Giles - the thinking man's Shane Warne.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Will accents disappear with globalisation, education and the ozzie soap influence?

If so, will we lament on their passing? Are they a worthy mark of identity?

I have noticed that I have had to tone down my accent and speak the Queen's English to enable myself to be understood in Caithness but no one seems to tone down their accent for my benefit , I'm not complaining though, I like the Caithness acccent and dialect. I am just worried that we may be sleeping walking into a bland society that is bereft of diversity in parlance.

(I have been reading Melvyn Bragg's 'The Adventure of the English Language' and found it to be a great read because I share the author's dialect.)
    I've had to tone down my accent as well. When I got my first job in Caithness my work mates thought I had hearing problems because I continually had to ask them to repeat themselves!
    Now I'm well used to the Caithnessian accents.
    It's a great diversity in the human experience, I doubt it will disappear altogether....but just in case.......

SAVE THE ACCENT!!
    You get what you give

At last a discussion to which I can bring some experience to the table. I can assure you that Scottish accents will live even to a second generation. Although you might be right about the ultimate blending of accents after several generations of globalization.

My grandfather never lost his Edinburgh accent into his 90's. Burlington is full of Scots, many who came as teenagers and in their twenties. 50, 60 years later they maintain the accent. I especially notice the accent when the speaker is under stress. One of the things I loved most about Scotland was the Caithness accent.

You are correct about local expressions. Wickerinca sometimes has to translate for me on this forum. But expressions are easily picked up and just as easily not used in a foreign environment.

Some accents are stronger and are more difficult to get rid of.Iremember when Sheena Easton,the wee lassie from Bellshill in Glasgow,started to aquire a wee bit fame.Well as fast as she was making it big in the states the accent was disappearing.My own glasgow accent is not as strong as it use to be;been up here20years but a few days back home and its as strong as ever.Ileft the heart of Glasgow when Iwas eight but I'LL ALWAS BELONG THERE.Anyone else feel the same pull?

wickerinca Guest

Oh.........I hope not. I love accents and dialects. It's part of who you are and I have had many a conversation with people who would have otherwise remained complete strangers to me, just because of my accent!!

It is funny how you use a word sometimes that is completely normal to you and other people think it strange!! I was among Canadian friends one evening and we were discussing an upcoming event. I said that it was taking place "a fortnight Friday". No idea what I was talking about apart from one older man who remembered his Grandmother saying it!!!

There are also two rather funny stories concerning the words 'nursing' and 'stones' but not sure about getting banned!!

The same goes for myself cuddlepop,find when I go back to Ayrshire that my accent automatically becomes stronger.I spent the first few months in Caithness and I couldn't understand a word my father-in-law was saying and he had the same problem with me(probably still says he does.)

The Caithness accent is braw and adds a character to the people.

Wickerinca, I have one that should make it through the banning hoops.

When you say crack with a North American accent it really sounds like you are refering to cocaine. So, when I stood up at Old Parish Church on Sunday morning and read the announcement I was handed that "the Church Fayre had been a success and good crack had been enjoyed", I am not sure who was more taken aback me (who didn't know the word in its Scottish connotation) or the congregation, because we both thought that I was talking about drugs.

wickerinca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck

When you say crack with a North American accent it really sounds like you are refering to cocaine. So, when I stood up at Old Parish Church on Sunday morning and read the announcement I was handed that "the Church Fayre had been a success and good crack had been enjoyed", I am not sure who was more taken aback me (who didn't know the word in its Scottish connotation) or the congregation, because we both thought that I was talking about drugs.
    Knowing some of the congregation I am sure that caused an awkward moment of silence

The worst part was the look of absolute horror on the author's face when he realized as soon as I started speaking what was going to happen.

wickerinca Guest

Yes....there are times when you just can't stop something

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop
    Some accents are stronger and are more difficult to get rid of.Iremember when Sheena Easton,the wee lassie from Bellshill in Glasgow,started to aquire a wee bit fame.Well as fast as she was making it big in the states the accent was disappearing.My own glasgow accent is not as strong as it use to be;been up here20years but a few days back home and its as strong as ever.Ileft the heart of Glasgow when Iwas eight but I'LL ALWAS BELONG THERE.Anyone else feel the same pull?
    I think Lulu, also from Glasgow, has lost her accent even more than Sheena Easton. She has sounded English for quite a number of years now. However, a couple of years ago, I saw her being interviewed by Michael Parkinson on TV. I thought it was good that she was able to switch back to her Glasgow accent very easily, when recounting events from her days growing up in Glasgow! Not that there's anything wrong with her adopted English accent - it's pleasant in its own right, in my opinion.

I also like Michael Parkinson's Yorkshire accent - a Barnsley one, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerinca
    Oh.........I hope not. I love accents and dialects. It's part of who you are and I have had many a conversation with people who would have otherwise remained complete strangers to me, just because of my accent!!

It is funny how you use a word sometimes that is completely normal to you and other people think it strange!! I was among Canadian friends one evening and we were discussing an upcoming event. I said that it was taking place "a fortnight Friday". No idea what I was talking about apart from one older man who remembered his Grandmother saying it!!!

There are also two rather funny stories concerning the words 'nursing' and 'stones' but not sure about getting banned!!
    Please PM me those stories, I'm sure I would enjoy reading them, wickerinca!

I miss not hearing the word "fortnight" in the US too! Also the word "twice" - people tend to say "two times" here instead.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck

Poor canuck, that must have been so embarrassing for you! But reading your story brought a smile to my face, nonetheless!

Depending on where you are I think some people loose their accent to be understood. I remember many years ago as I stood in a shop in Sydney Australia, I heard a really broad Glasgow accent, I turned round and asked the guy "have you just arrived from Scotland" "Naa son" he replied "I'll 've been ere 36 year come October". I could have sworn when he spoke that I was in Sochiehall St (spelling ???).

It just goes to show some people never loose theirs or are perhaps determined to keep it, and over emphasis it on occasions.

I myself enjoy hearing all the different accents (even though I don't like one or two) and I think it would be a very boring world if we all talked the same way.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I love accents, provided having a Brummy accent is made a Criminal Offence. Any other is fine by me.

What is a pity is that while much fuss is made over Gaelic and Welsh should be preserved local dialects are treated as nasty horrible slang and frowned upon.

A genuine dialect is just as distinctive as any language. I can almost guarantee that if you put an old Caithnessian with an old Wiganer from Lancashire (It’s yon place wi’th pier, tha’ ‘no’s) who had not been brought up hearing BBC Dialect then they would need an interpreter.

All you need to do is look at the list of Caithness words on this site and I'll bet most youngsters might have heard them but will hardly ever use them.

The shame about it is that a lot of the words and sayings tell you about the history of a place and once they are gone, that bit of local history goes with them.
    What a loss and it can never be recovered.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    Please PM me those stories, I'm sure I would enjoy reading them, wickerinca!

I miss not hearing the word "fortnight" in the US too! Also the word "twice" - people tend to say "two times" here instead.

Sporran - you must come to Toronto when Weeboyagee comes for a visit. Not only do we say "twice" in Canada, you can listen to many Scottish accents here.

Dialect is dependent on the accent for authenticity as it would be a bit naff if I tried to speak in the Caithnessian dialect(though I must confess that I do...sometimes). However, I have been doing some investigating with my own 'native' dialect and found that 'blether' is also from Cumbria as well. It must have something to do with the Norse influence.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

wickerinca Guest

Yes...I have noticed there are some of 'our' words that are the same. or at least very similar to some you can hear elsewhere..........usually in coastal areas!! One of my friends is Norwegian and e discovered that there were a few common words also........like Kirk and dochter (Daughter!!) though I think they have a 'g' in it somewhere. I did learn some Norwegian from her but had a bit of difficulty witht the tongue stuck to the roof of the mouth bit!!

Although I am going to Gaelic lessons have no fear Jaws, I will never lose my Caithness tongue. It is great to blether away in a store or suchlike with my hubby and no-one has any idea what we are saying!! I actually have the Caithness Dictionary and am renewing my acquaintance with some words from my childhood......so then no-one will have any idea!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast