Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we place too much value on appearance?

Red face Do we place too much value on appearance?

This was a debate I saw on the BBC this morning. How do Orgers feel? Personally I think we do on the whole. I'm under no illusion about the way I look which is why I hide away behind a computer, although the older I get the more comfortable I am with myself. Sure, I would like the perfect figure, and moreover, perfect teeth, but I have neither. That said, I am me. To change anything would mean not being me anymore. Hollywood is full of fake, plastic people who have had so much surgery they must look in the mirror and see someone they don't actually recognise. Their pictures appear in magazines and this is the pressure we're all under whether we like it or not. What do you think?
    cape locum et fac vestigium

Thumbs up Approval

I agree with you 100%. Well said!

Correct. My way of thinking is, if they dont like me as I am ,Tough!

router Guest

Dont put yourself down, we are us wether we want to be or not. People are too quick to judge people by the way they look, and to be honest we all do it, but when you truely know someone you may see something different.

People with nice smailes and figures are more than not lacking in personality, the "i love me ,you love me too" tend to be arrogant and obnoxious

so good old plain folk who look real will do me.Not meaning everyone is plain, but lets be honest we not all picture perfect

Talking

it should be take me as i am or dont take me full stop we are what we are beauty is within.

Im just quite happy sitting behind a computer right now. As soon as i step outside i get completely paranoid. Am i thin enough? Is my hair ok? (usually not lol) Are my clothes ok? bla bla bla...ya get what i mean.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I think that anyone who is genuine, sincere, and passionate about what they love, will always be attractive to people, whether they are physically attractive or not. Surgical procedures should not be required for anyone other than burn victims, and cleft palates.
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Im just quite happy sitting behind a computer right now. As soon as i step outside i get completely paranoid. Am i thin enough? Is my hair ok? (usually not lol) Are my clothes ok? bla bla bla...ya get what i mean.
    You are the opposite of me as I would love to be more curvy.......and my hair flows as it grows.....

In answer to the question on how we look...........we should never judge a book by it's cover or people. Looks can be so deceiving in many different ways.

I don't give a damn how people look and I don't care how they see me. If I did I wouldn't have posted any pics of myself on here. What you see is what you get, bald heid and glasses, the whole works.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    I think that anyone who is genuine, sincere, and passionate about what they love, will always be attractive to people, whether they are physically attractive or not. Surgical procedures should not be required for anyone other than burn victims, and cleft palates.
    Very well said rockchick!

I would like to believe all the above but I think it is an aspiration rather than reality.
    Everyone no matter who they are have said "look at the state of him/her" so making a judgement prior any other comunication. That judgement has coloured your opinion before you start to know them.
    I saw a monster of a guy the other day, tatoos, shaved head, leather and denim, made vinnie jones look like Brad Pitt. Thought I would say hello... yeah right...
    Then he opened his mouth and he spoke like Stephen Fry, so I said hello... we ended up haveing coffee and a snack while he explained his HIV status...

So made a judgement, made another, then another...

Angel

I am what i am, i'll be comfy for work and general day to day, but i'll make an effort when i go out (maybe once a year!) - i can't be arsed with all that make-up crud lol
    i've never been one for reading magazines or following the crowd in fashion - you think it shows?

i am the way i am people can lek it or lump it, you dont need the latest fashions,hair cut to make you a better person its whats on the inside that counts. loads of people waste so much time making sure their hair/makeup is ok and the clothes they wear are totally crease free, life is to short for this.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Nowt wrong with dressing for the circumstances.

Don't think the kinky boots would go to well with the boiler suit anyways Tuggs lol
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

If you are comfortable with yourself others will pick up on it, no amount of cosmetics,clothes etc.,can alter the person, just give a false image. Wearing a smile is more important than any thing else and sharing it with others can be one of life's greatest pleasures.
    "I am what I am, I have no one else to be."

Society will always judge from Facial and Personal appearance how we look be it fat or thin tall or small

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder mind you Power helps some how many powerfull men / women that are down right awful end up with younger models on there arms sometimes all be it for a very brief time

Personality for me in the end always shines through It is what is in the inside that matters and no amount of plastic surgery can change that
    Its nice to be nice

It's easy to say "I'm comfortable in my own skin" but honestly, if I had been born my grandfather's nose I would have considered plastic surgery. Fortunately, the nose I inherited is acceptable.

Everyone is beautiful, in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Everyone is beautiful, in their own way.
    If that's true, then surely it's also fair to say that everyone is ugly, in their own way?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    If that's true, then surely it's also fair to say that everyone is ugly, in their own way?
    Therefore, there is no difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast