Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Where to begin?

Question Where to begin?

Confession time - tho' I've rented and borrowed lots of DVDs, and buy them as presents for other people, I myself possess the grand total of 4.

All given to me I might add!

I'd like to start buying them for myself, but just don't know where to start....what with all the old favourites and new ones coming out.

I have literally thousands of books and loads of CDs gathered over the years (not to mention my Eeyore, cats and elephants collections!) so thinking of building up a collection of anything from scratch feels really daunting.

I have very little money to spare, tho' I could always sell some of the books that are gathering dust, and maybe allocate at least some of the proceeds to DVD buying.

But where do I begin?

Help, please!

Maybe ask for recommendations of movies that are at least four or five years old - they're cheaper.
    Amazon is my first stop but e.bay can be good.
    Others mentioned here are probably just as good.
    Do you like romantic comedies/historical stuff/period dramas/war/what?
    List five of your favourite movies and give us an idea Angela.

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post

Do you like romantic comedies/historical stuff/period dramas/war/what?
    List five of your favourite movies and give us an idea Angela.

Ummmm. Well that does make me focus a bit, thanks percy.

Films from My Yoof -the 60s/70s - like The Graduate, Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy.

'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' and others of that ilk.

French films. Comedies, especially French ones like 'Taxi'.

I love (almost all) thrillers. I'm trying to get hold of a copy of 'Z' -which combines being a thriller, a French film and dating back to about 1970 when I saw it at the cinema.

Boxed sets are a good way to get a few films for a reasonable price.
    Last Christmas my daughter bought me a boxful of about twelve Hitchcock movies - probably under £15 as she's not flushed. Many a 'thriller' in there.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 01-Mar-09 at 15:44.

Smile

Angela I get my DVDs from HMV,Sendit, Play.com and Amazon.Sometimes from Ebay but needs to be from a reputable seller.

With them all (apart from Amazon), if you shop through Quidco, you can get discounts.
    Also when watching previews before the main film I jot down the names of films which I like the look of.

Amazon is really good for reviews. HMV, Sendit and Play.com also have some reviews.

I would never pay full price for DVDs and buy loads when there are sales and special offers.

I then sell them on Amazon.
    Last edited by Liz; 02-Mar-09 at 13:59.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

All of us with big collections should donate one to Angela to get her started.
    Ones we think are turkeys but she might like.
    I have a few candidates here - which gives me an idea for a whole new thread

Liz, many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Percy, I'm bracing myself for that turkey you're about to hurl in my direction.....

(All donations gratefully received ....)
    Last edited by Angela; 03-Mar-09 at 18:37.

ebay now sell all dvds with free postage
    "You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humansuseful domestic animals."- George Mikes