Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: American Gangster.... any good...?

Default American Gangster.... any good...?

Up at four quid in Sainsbury's - they seem to be having a price war with TESCO around here.
    For some reason I'm a bit lukewarm towards this movie.
    I was just wiondering if it's any good.

Also: The Departed is one I've been thinking of getting for a while now but can't make me mind up. This weekend it's a toss up between that and Apocolypto. Although as we have chatterbox daughter and g/daughter around tomorrow neet it might be neither (We'd prefer the company though to be honest - dvd's anytime and nobody is six forever)

Great movie Percy. Denziel Washingtons perfect for the part. Its based on a true story. The Departeds good too. I saw Apocalypto in Inverness when it first came out. I left about half way through. I caught up with the last half on telly just a few weeks ago. It's no bad. Mel Gibson seems to have a thing about physical pain.
    Last edited by gleeber; 28-Feb-09 at 00:11. Reason: add apocalpto

Thanks gleeber. Why did you leave the cinema? was it the subject matter.

I've only done that one 'Tell Them Willy Boy Was Here'...couldn't get into it.
    We almost left soon into 'Saving Pvt.Ryan' but I persuaded my wife to tough it out.

I'll add 'American Gangster' to the list on your recommendation but only stretched to one yesterday - I've bought some blanks and will be taping off the t.v. more - budgeting is about to become a priority here.

As for Mel G. I winced a bit at the 'Passion of the Christ'and didn't see all of it. I'm not good at gore although it wouldn't, in itself put me off a film.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I'd recommend "American Gangster" as well. Hubby and I saw it at the cinema last year, and we both enjoyed it.

Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors, and is very charismatic, no matter what part he plays. Russell Crowe was excellent in the movie too.

Our daughter gave us The Green Mile dvd for xmas and finally got around to watching it last night, what a marvellous film, they could easily have given out four or five Oscars to the cast, I confess I did'nt watch the execution sequences but it could be something to do with being injured by flash burns a couple of times in my line of work.
    I only managed to watch about five minutes of Private Ryan before I hit the stop button, should try and see it all sometime.
    Favourite all time film Field of Dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Munro View Post
    ....I only managed to watch about five minutes of Private Ryan before I hit the stop button, should try and see it all sometime....
    Yes, it's a very good story. I wa sin tears early doors, as the aged Ryan visits the grave of his 'rescuer' Once those realistic battle scenes on the beach are done the violence comes in shorter, less overpowering scenes.
    For me it is the ultimate war film and manages to convey - minutely - a sense of just how dis-orientating the assault on Normandy must have been.

Those men were all heroes to me. The fact that - as in the film - they had hitherto lived ordinary lives (Hanks' character was an English teacher) yet found themselves immersed in such a brutal, bloody episode never fails to elicit my admiration. Also, one wonders how ones self might react in similar circumstances.

Of course it's fictionalised but there were tens of thousands of stories unfolding on that fateful day....this could quite easily have been one of them.

I hope you do 'bag' the rest of the film Munro for what follows becomes a very human story of brotherhood in battle.

i watch loads of films here is a few i reccomend guys

Dead Mans Shoes

Rise Of the Footsoldier

Blow

Human Traffic

Insanitarium

Super high me

All the cheech and chongs are a laugh ive overwatched them over the years though

Tortured was good

Anamorph

list could go on i have hundreds of films and loads more on my list to get will have close to 500 in a few months i am on a mission to fill my wall rack
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Quote Originally Posted by GetWithTheTimes View Post
    i watch loads of films here is a few i reccomend guys

Dead Mans Shoes
    An incredible film. Mayhem in Matlock.
    Superb 'revenge' movie. The systematic extermination of drug dealing low-life scum.
    Can't whack it.

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Thanks gleeber. Why did you leave the cinema? was it the subject matter.
    I'm not sure. I think I'm prejuduced against Mel Gibson for promoting God
    His subject matter portrays a snap of human civilisation that really happened and he explores it in an intense way. Its pure mel Gibson. Not my type of film really but it was ok.

Default American Gangster

This film was shot largely in Harlem. That accounts for the vitality of the street scenes and the persistenty pullulating (Nice word, eh!) background.
    Richard Sutherland