Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    Wild Wild West - Will Smith, Kenneth Brannagh and Salma Hayek.

My all time favourite film.
    You are kidding - Right?
    Not even Will Smith can make this worth watching

Default Burn after Reading

Burn After Reading has Brad Pitt at his best.This movie is the Cohn Brothers follow-up to No Country for Old Men but there is no resemblance in plot. It is a comedy set in Washington among the Intelligence (?) community there.

Either you will love it or promptly post a denunciation in the worst movies of all time thread.

I loved it, thousands have hated it to judge by its prompt appearance in Blockbuster outlets, followed by it's even prompter disappearance.

You have been warned. (But Brad Pitt as the sleazy manager of a downtown gymn is perfect casting.)
    Richard Sutherland

Default this is reading!

[quote=rich;517711]Burn After Reading ....

Whenever I read this film title I'm minded of that RP announcer ...Reading! This is Reading! so prevalent in the nineteen eighties - her home counties accent piercing the rafters of the old GWR station....

I also imagine countless periodicals, books and newspapers put to the torch as the clattering rolling stock gathers momentum westbound for Swindon.

Burn after Reading indeed.
    I might well look out for it once the price is sensible.
    Belt tightening the order of the day around here I'm afraid.

Here's a few of my recommendations - been watching quite a lot of films lately with the free dvd rental from tesco at the moment! Dan In Real Life was excellent in my opinion, starring Steve Carell(who I didn't recognise) and Juliette Binoche(seen here before in Chocolat). It's about a man who meets a woman and they're instantly attracted only to find out later she's dating his brother, and they're all staying with his parents for the holidays!! It's very romantic and has a nice ending, but isn't as predictable as some films.

Another that I liked was The Perfect Catch, starring Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon(didn't know him). Jimmy's character is obssessed with baseball and although he and Drew fall madly in love there's this one thing blocking their relationship - baseball. Really funny and romantic. Drew is a brilliant actress, I could watch her all day!

Catherine Zeta Jones amazed me in No Reservations. She played quite a serious role as a top chef and seemed to have a touch of OCD. Quite a deep story and she played her role really well along side co-star Aaron Eckhart(cute guy!). Very moving film and would particularly appeal to parents as there's a child involved in the plot. But all turns out very happily in the end - I hate sad endings (don't get me started on Titanic, Message in a Bottle, etc, etc...)

So there's a few recommendations from me - let me know whether you agree/disagree.....

AUSTRAILIA! a brilliant film, canny whack a good old cowboy film! long (3hrs) but i was totally gripped, brilliant film!

the number 23 is good too, watched it by chance on sky. story was really well written and i never expected the ending at all.

Watchmen is good, my pal loves the comic and thought it was amazing.

currently looking forward to "a haunting in..." and the new transformers, awesome!

cant think of any more at the moment, ill have a wee think though!

Default TAKEN - Acti9onj

Taken

Liam Neeson, 2008, Action Thriller

The seventeen year-old Kim is the pride and joy of her father, the retired agent Bryan Mills (Neeson) that left the secret service to stay near Kim in California. Kim lives with her mother and wealthy stepfather Stuart; she convinces the reluctant Bryan to sign an authorization to travel to Paris with her friend Amanda. When they arrive, they share a cab with the stranger Peter and Amanda tells to him that they are alone in Paris. When Bryan succeeds in contacting his daughter, she tells that criminals have just broke into the apartment where they are staying, they are kidnapped by an Albanese gang of human traffickers. Bryan promises in the phone to kill the kidnapper of his daughter and immediately travels to Paris to find Kim and chase the criminals.

Quote from the movie, 'I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you'

I'd rate this movie 3/5
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Took the daughter and her cousin to see Beverley Hills Chihuahua today. The kids loved it and I must admit that it was quite funny but there was also the underlying message to the adults too - don't treat dogs like babies and dress them up, think responsibly about getting a dog, it is a commitment for life and the story revolves around a dog fighting ring, needless to say the baddies never win!! Worth a look!

I watched "Underworld" and "Underworld - Evolution" last night. Not a bad couple of vampire films, the story and the effects are pretty good. Its never going to win an Oscar but I found them quite entertaining.

Plus (and this is for the lads) you get Kate Beckinsale running around in a PVC jumpsuit.

Yummy ..

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Taken

Liam Neeson, 2008, Action Thriller

The seventeen year-old Kim is the pride and joy of her father, the retired agent Bryan Mills (Neeson) that left the secret service to stay near Kim in California. Kim lives with her mother and wealthy stepfather Stuart; she convinces the reluctant Bryan to sign an authorization to travel to Paris with her friend Amanda. When they arrive, they share a cab with the stranger Peter and Amanda tells to him that they are alone in Paris. When Bryan succeeds in contacting his daughter, she tells that criminals have just broke into the apartment where they are staying, they are kidnapped by an Albanese gang of human traffickers. Bryan promises in the phone to kill the kidnapper of his daughter and immediately travels to Paris to find Kim and chase the criminals.

Quote from the movie, 'I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you'

I'd rate this movie 3/5
    I would agree with that rating as the story just seems a little too rushed and implausible at the beginning. Plus that daughter of his came across as seriously annoying before she got kidnapped. I got the extended cut on Blu Ray with the extended torture scene with the electricity .. OUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hunt View Post
    I watched "Underworld" and "Underworld - Evolution" last night. Not a bad couple of vampire films, the story and the effects are pretty good. Its never going to win an Oscar but I found them quite entertaining.

Plus (and this is for the lads) you get Kate Beckinsale running around in a PVC jumpsuit.

Yummy ..

Ya gotta see the third film "rise of the Lycans" is a good film, sadly no kate, but there is rhona mitra

Quote Originally Posted by youoldduffer View Post
    Ya gotta see the third film "rise of the Lycans" is a good film, sadly no kate, but there is rhona mitra
    Rhona Mitra you say ?? .. nice. I did see it advertised but I am going to wait for the Blu Ray release.

I was reading Wikipedia the other day and apparently there is a fourth one planned that takes off from where Evolution ends. That one ends with Kate going on about how two elders are dead and the anarchy that will surely follow. Sounds promising, I Hope they make it.

Shelley here's my recommendations:

Sci-Fi.............Bladerunner
    Horror.............The Shining
    Comedy...........An Audience with Billy Connolly
    Kids Movie........Cars
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

hmm i recommend twilight i absolutely loved that film the books were good too death race looks pretty good too as for kids film kung fu panda was great so was madagascar 2 or open season or horton hears who it was not bad.
    As for horrors stay alive was pretty good also quarantine had me jumpin the whole time or idle hands was a good one i watched recently or disturbia that was good not watched shrooms bt heard it was good and bad.

ok thats all im gona put lol.
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.

Quote Originally Posted by padfoot View Post
    hmm i recommend twilight i absolutely loved that film .
    agreed, an amazing film, and even better books.
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    agreed, an amazing film, and even better books.
    yeah defo as soon as i watched the film i bought the books they were amazing read them for over a month straight lol read them all in a week they were that good lol

Quote Originally Posted by padfoot View Post
    yeah defo as soon as i watched the film i bought the books they were amazing read them for over a month straight lol read them all in a week they were that good lol
    i hear you. Im nealy finished Eclipse, cant wait to start Breaking Dawn.
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    i hear you. Im nealy finished Eclipse, cant wait to start Breaking Dawn.
    u will enjoy it it has some very interesting twists

Dead Space is a good thing to watch! Its CGI, (Xbox game also made of it). I did not think i would enjoy it but i did! I have it on Blu-Ray and the graphics were awsome! Blood...guts of aliens. Just magic!

Anyone into japanese movies....Akira! It has taken me 3 times to watch it to even slightly understand it. But i love that movie! I think i will have to watch it a 4th time just to understand the plot now.

Final Fantasy Movies are some of my favourites! The life stream and stigma are a bit hard to follow if you have not played the games or anything before, but awsome CGI again. Fight scenes are genius.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

recently watched death race it was brill bedtime stories was good too

I am probably going to get flamed for this but I bought Ghost Rider on Blu-Ray yesterday and really enjoyed it. Everyone I know hates it but I really liked it, I just don't know why.

I feel all dirty now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast