Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavens Basement + Darkwater Live In Wick

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWicker View Post
    Hey,

I'm promoting this gig and just stumbled upon this thread

If you can suggest a local atmospheric venue that would be suitable I'd love to hear where it is, as I can't find one.

I can't use clubs as they have a policy against selling tickets.
    I won't use local bars as I have my own one and its not big enough for this sort of thing. And please dont suggest the Waterfront.

I dont know if any of you were at the Sergeant gig but the sound quality was cracking. It wasnt full but it was a sellout. The council only allow 600 in the hall which is shocking and I'm workin on that.

Anyone whos into this kinda music would have a good night at this gig and a tenner is no bad for 2 decent bands & the kinda lightshow etc that will be provided.

And, there will be a bar at the Heavens Basement gig (like all of the shows) - in the hall - and will probably be better stocked than most bars in Wick.

If u wanna wager pepsi I'll take a £1 off u for every punter over the 30 mark in the hall and knock it off the fee for ur next stairs gig. U'll be payin me to play

Maybe I shouldna bother and Wickers can go back to gurnin theres nothin till go to.
    Its good that someone up here is at least trying to bring quality up here.For too long now The waterfront has sat back and pumped out Discos but yet the Policy when he built the place was Top quality live entertainment!
    I think anyone who is at least prepared to try and give Wick some good quality music is alright in my book.
    Well done I hope it works out,if Im not working I'll be there.

Default Daft question

Where can we buy tickets for the gig? Not sure if it's the Assembly Rooms to try first.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Default tickets

Hey

Tickets will be on sale hopefully on Friday. The promoter down south is still getting the posters printed

They'll be available from Blackstairs Lounge & online at www.ticketweb.co.uk

Ignore the myspace site price, tics will be £8 each.

Theres an ad in tomorrows Kerrang aswell

Cheers

Default Heaven's Basement

Tickets are now available online, think I'll just get mine at the BS lounge

Quote Winners of Classic Rock Magazines BEST NEW ACT. Nominated in the UK RAWK Awards 2009 for - BAND OF THE YEAR - AXE MAN OF THE YEAR - FRONT MAN OF THE YEAR - EP OF THE YEAR - TOUR OF THE YEAR. UK & European tour slots for Nickelback, Bon Jovi & Def Leppard.

Healthy Minds Collapse (www.myspace.com/healthymindscollapse) are gonna be playing in the Blackstairs Lounge after the Heavens Basement gig.

The ad for the gig was in Kerrang! this week, should be a good night

Just realised that Heaven's Basement are the reincarnation of Roadstar.

If their new stuff is anything like 'Grand Hotel', then I suspect I will surely attend. Probably.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Just realised that Heaven's Basement are the reincarnation of Roadstar.

If their new stuff is anything like 'Grand Hotel', then I suspect I will surely attend. Probably.
    G'wan MA, attend .............

Aye, Heavens Basement = Roadstar ....... I've got "Grand Hotel" by Roadstar as well - good album.

There will be some of us who need no convincing to go, but for those who are uncertain, have a deek at Heavens Basement on myspace -
    http://www.myspace.com/heavensbasementofficial

also, there are a couple of different songs on lastfm -
    http://www.last.fm/music/Heaven%27s+Basement
    - i particularly like "I'll never write a love song" - can see it being excellent live (if they play it).

I'm yet to see anything on the internet but positive reaction to their live performances.
    Lets encourage all the "undecideds" out there to go along - only £8 - and we'll all have a great night!
    Last edited by orcadian1964; 22-Mar-09 at 14:07. Reason: typo

Default Gig Update

Hey all

Healthy Minds Collapse are now on the bill for the Heavens Basement gig.

They will be onstage at 8.

They will be also be playing a 45 minute set in the Blackstairs after the show. Saw them in Edinburgh last week and they are awesome.

www.myspace.com/healthymindscollapse

So who is going to the gig 2nite????? I'm really looking forward to great night of rockin tunes great value for money well done to music wicker

Quote Originally Posted by BonsBalls View Post
    So who is going to the gig 2nite????? I'm really looking forward to great night of rockin tunes great value for money well done to music wicker
    Ditto to that, bonsballs ......
    I'll be there. Got a couple of mates travelling over from Orkney for it as well .........

Quote Originally Posted by orcadian1964 View Post
    Ditto to that, bonsballs ......
    I'll be there. Got a couple of mates travelling over from Orkney for it as well .........

cool pity there was not more local ppl as enthusiastic as ur mates orcadian1964 supporting this event
    Last edited by BonsBalls; 10-Apr-09 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by BonsBalls View Post
    I'll be there for sure. Got a few coming through from Thurso for it. Looking forward to it.

Who are they? I've never heard of them but if they get the Metalattakk seal of approval then they must be no bad. Their image is a bit offputting but i dont suppose that's relevant.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    Who are they?
    http://www.heavensbasement.com/

It's surely worth going to support decent rock music visiting the county. Come on chaps!

Quite right. I may have sounded somewhat pessimistic but i am hungover. I'll have a look at their site.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Well said THEBOSS the more ppl who go 2nite better the chance of this becoming regular thing in the big W

So then, how was the gig?, good turnout?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    So then, how was the gig?, good turnout?
    I'm dying to know too, really miffed I couldn't go!

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    I'm dying to know too, really miffed I couldn't go!

First band, Healthy Minds Collapse were excellent, I really liked them.

Second band, Darkwater I think it was, were dire! I wasn't the only person think this...

And Heaven's Basement were very good!

However, the Assembly Rooms is FAAAR too big a place to hold a gig like that and I personnally think there's a bigger scene for it in Thurso - The place felt dead. But like we're man said, he's got a bar of his own and wouldn't use another.

I'm afraid to say the night in the Assembly rooms seems like it didn't turn out to be a successful venture.

As said above, the first band, "Healthy Minds Collapse" were really good. Fantastic harmonies between the singer and the drummer and some really catchy guitar driven songs. Would like to see them again and would have them up to Thurso no bother.

Darkwater, in my opinion, were awful. Was not impressed in the slightest. I'll comment no further on them. They just weren't my cup of tea.

Heavens Basement were a really good band. They had all the swagger of a typical 80's hair metal band and it was matched perfectly by huge harmonies, tight playing, big songs, classic guitar solos and the type of stage mannerisms that wouldn't look out of place at a Motley Crue gig. Again, they weren't really my cup of tea, but unlike Darkwater, I could appreciate that they were a good band who quite obviously put alot of work into their sound.

The turnout was unfortunately dire. I can't say for sure how many was in but the room, but in the main, it looked empty. Like Ramsay says, they would've pulled a bigger crowd in Thurso. Thurso seems to be more appreciative of heavy rock, where as Wick seems to be more of an indie kind of town.

The efforts of the promoter were unfortunately not supported which is a damn shame as it was obvious alot of work had been put in to put the gig together. I sincerely hope that it doesn't put him off bringing other bands to Caithness but I wouldn't blame him if it did. His efforts went un-rewarded and the general concencus seems to be that music fans in Caithness can't be bothered to go out and see live music when they haven't heard of the act. I just wish more folk would take a chance and go along to support any effort made to bring live music to Caithness. Unfortunately, as many of us are aware, this can be like hitting your head against a brick wall.

I realise there was a DJ in the Waterfront that night and the Country Music Festival was on, but there can't be that huge a crossover that all the rock fans in Caithness were at these other events.

I'd just like to say though. I had a grand night! Cheers Mr Gig promoter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast