Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavens Basement + Darkwater Live In Wick

Default Heavens Basement + Darkwater Live In Wick

These two bands will be playing Wick Assembly Rooms on 10th April, tickets are £10.

http://www.myspace.com/heavensbasementofficial

They used to be called Hurricane Party

http://www.myspace.com/darkwaterglasgow

Manky weegies with a pretty cool electro/pop/rock sound

I saw Heaven's Basement back in December, they were really good and I would recommend their gig!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Please let me know if they manage to fill more than half the size of the venue.

Heavens basement sound quite good, Reminiscent of GUN. Now they were a good band, the new singer in Gun is pants though!!!!
    Darkwater are quite unique, will take me a few listens to dig their groove.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Heavens basement sound quite good, Reminiscent of GUN. Now they were a good band, the new singer in Gun is pants though!!!!
    Darkwater are quite unique, will take me a few listens to dig their groove.
    The new singer in Gun is Toby Jepson who used to the the singer for 'Little Angels', he was a capable, if uninteresting singer 20yrs ago, but in Gun he plain sucks, it's a shame they couldn't get Mark Rankin back in the band, but he's too busy making big money working for a record label in London though, i still slap myself for not going to see Gun when they played in Thurso a few months before the release of 'Gallus', i was a fan of the debut at the time, but if i recall it was a Thursday night and i just took a lazy turn as i had to get up for work early on the Friday...what a div!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Please let me know if they manage to fill more than half the size of the venue.
    Half the venue?, that's being pretty optimistic Pepsi, i think they'll be lucky to sell 30 tickets, £10 for a friday night gig in a run down community hall with bad acoustics and no bar for two bands that most people have never heard of?....some div really never did their homework on this one.

Gentlemen, while I completely understand your cynicism, I think you can only admire the attempts that are being made to bring live acts to Wick.
    Fair enough, Heaven's Basement is no major name, but they most certainly are worth a listen.
    I would encourage anyone who appreciates decent rock music to part with a tenner and go along ........

i'll be going and i will take wife and 2 boys with me, thats four tickets gizmo, was also speaking to bons balls tonight and he said he was going.

Quote Originally Posted by orcadian1964 View Post
    Gentlemen, while I completely understand your cynicism, I think you can only admire the attempts that are being made to bring live acts to Wick.
    Fair enough, Heaven's Basement is no major name, but they most certainly are worth a listen.
    I would encourage anyone who appreciates decent rock music to part with a tenner and go along ........
    I do admire the attempts. However, why they chose to put this on in the Assembly Rooms and not a smaller, more atmospheric venue - one with a bar, perhaps (people who like live music like a drink, too) - and charge a sensible price? I tell you now there's no big or small promoter in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee or Inverness that would dream of charging that amount for these type of bands. £4 or £5 tops.

In fact I take it back, I'd be surprised if any more than 20 paying customers were in attendance. Only time will tell I guess. Do me let me know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I do admire the attempts. However, why they chose to put this on in the Assembly Rooms and not a smaller, more atmospheric venue - one with a bar, perhaps (people who like live music like a drink, too) - and charge a sensible price? I tell you now there's no big or small promoter in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee or Inverness that would dream of charging that amount for these type of bands. £4 or £5 tops.

In fact I take it back, I'd be surprised if any more than 20 paying customers were in attendance. Only time will tell I guess. Do me let me know how it goes...
    TPC - i can't speak for this gig since i'm not overly sure who is organising it, but certainly for the Sergeant gig the fine people from the Blackstairs had a makeshift bar on the premises to allow those people who wished to indulge in an alcoholic beverage or two to do so. I do however agree with the point about the venue as even at Sergeant where there were a large number of folk, the place didn't seem very full.

i do see your point about the cash at but then again, only time will tell whether it is deemed to be too expensive by punters up here
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

I will defo be going downloaded EP and Heavens Basement Rock sick of hearing bout local people complaining about lack of live music then when a band plays they canna be bothered going and complaining about price of a ticket ..This same people that probably pay 7 quid weekly for a S**t night in Skins or Waterfront

Quote Originally Posted by BonsBalls View Post
    I will defo be going downloaded EP and Heavens Basement Rock sick of hearing bout local people complaining about lack of live music then when a band plays they canna be bothered going and complaining about price of a ticket ..This same people that probably pay 7 quid weekly for a S**t night in Skins or Waterfront
    You are looking at this from a purely personal point of view, Heavens Basement happen to be the style of music you like, but how many other people do you know that are into that style?, enough to fill the assembly rooms?....i don't think so, and your assesment of the quaility of night out provided to those who pay £7 for Skins or The Waterfront is again...purely looked at from your own personal taste, it might not be your thing, but there are plenty of young folk who love it, remember...i know you, and if it had been some indie band that you didn't like or had never heard of that was charging £10 for a gig in The Assembly Rooms you would be saying..'What a rip off', so you can't expect others to be as enthusiastic as you are, and to be perfectly honest, there are not that many people in Wick that are actually that interested in live music, when i worked in The Yard/Zeros i used to book the bands, and booked bands from all different genre's, yet very few people ever turned up for the Friday night gigs...and they were free.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    remember...i know you,
    LOL remember those of us that can say I KNOW YOU TOO humper and you used to have an opinion on every band that used to try and make it. but I will be there and hope you do the doom dance to them LOL

The new singer in Gun is Toby Jepson who used to the the singer for 'Little Angels', he was a capable, if uninteresting singer 20yrs ago, but in Gun he plain sucks, it's a shame they couldn't get Mark Rankin back in the band, but he's too busy making big money working for a record label in London though, i still slap myself for not going to see Gun when they played in Thurso a few months before the release of 'Gallus', i was a fan of the debut at the time, but if i recall it was a Thursday night and i just took a lazy turn as i had to get up for work early on the Friday...what a div!
    I was working in Flicks when Gun came up here. This little guy tried to get in while they were sound checking I told him to Sling his hook and shut the door.Then the manager asked if I had seen their drummer, I then realised I had kicked the drummer out of the building!!! He wasnt a happy camper I can assure you!!!!.
    I remember them doing "Word up as there soundcheck song before they released it. They had on hell of a sound.

Must be cross wires as GUN only played Thurso before Gallus came out

Quote Originally Posted by youoldduffer View Post
    LOL remember those of us that can say I KNOW YOU TOO humper and you used to have an opinion on every band that used to try and make it. but I will be there and hope you do the doom dance to them LOL
    Duffer....i STILL have an opinion on every band that tries to make it

Quote Originally Posted by BonsBalls View Post
    Must be cross wires as GUN only played Thurso before Gallus came out
    'Word Up' was part of GUN's soundcheck/setlist a long time before they recorded it for 'Swagger'

'Word Up' was part of GUN's soundcheck/setlist a long time before they recorded it for 'Swagger'
    Definitely correct, I was there!!!.It wasnt long after that,that they were on TOTP.I think they did "Steal your fire" but i could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Definitely correct, I was there!!!.It wasnt long after that,that they were on TOTP.I think they did "Steal your fire" but i could be wrong.
    Yeah they played Thurso a couple of months before Gallus was released and 'Steal Your Fire' was released shortly after the Thurso gig, as soon as i'd heard 'Steal Your Fire' i was gutted that i didn't go to the gig.

Default Heavens Basement + Darkwater Live In Wick

Hey,

I'm promoting this gig and just stumbled upon this thread

If you can suggest a local atmospheric venue that would be suitable I'd love to hear where it is, as I can't find one.

I can't use clubs as they have a policy against selling tickets.
    I won't use local bars as I have my own one and its not big enough for this sort of thing. And please dont suggest the Waterfront.

I dont know if any of you were at the Sergeant gig but the sound quality was cracking. It wasnt full but it was a sellout. The council only allow 600 in the hall which is shocking and I'm workin on that.

Anyone whos into this kinda music would have a good night at this gig and a tenner is no bad for 2 decent bands & the kinda lightshow etc that will be provided.

And, there will be a bar at the Heavens Basement gig (like all of the shows) - in the hall - and will probably be better stocked than most bars in Wick.

If u wanna wager pepsi I'll take a £1 off u for every punter over the 30 mark in the hall and knock it off the fee for ur next stairs gig. U'll be payin me to play

Maybe I shouldna bother and Wickers can go back to gurnin theres nothin till go to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast