Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: today at Dunnett

Default today at Dunnett

looking for something other than the sea & sky photos that I ususally take at Dunnett so found these - can I have some honest critique please - I'm not sure about them!

think this one just needs cropping at the bottom

Interesting details Dragonfly. In all cases I'd have moved your field of view up to get more sky and less foreground. No.1 strikes me as the one with the most potential. Maybe a lower angle with some backing dunes and sky. I do like the line of objects leading you into the shot. Also possble as a black & white conversion.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

thanks Deemac, I've been thinking about what was wrong with the creel pic and what I should have done was place it haphazardly on the rocks but as I had dragged it there while the dog was trying to get inside it I just gave up and dumped it down inbetween them.

I'm sure that if North Light comes across it tomorrow he will make a much better job of it

here's another version of No1, a bit more of the dunes are showing
    Attachment 3222

4. Default

Agree with Deemac that the line of objects in No1 is good and would be so much better if it led your eye to the top of the dunes instead stopping at the bottom of them.
    No3 would have benefitted from maybe seeing the tops of the grasses either side of the steps,well thats what i would have tried to do but its only an opinion and you should be applauded for trying to do something different.
    I like the creel shot with it being in the background,nice colour and detail.

Default Dragonfly.......

I suggest you try cropping the top off the first photograph to lose the last two stabs.

I agree too much foreground for me and I like to see whole objects so would have gone up to get some sky too. I did like the spine of grass idea in the first one tho.

dragonfly,
    The fence in number 1 has lots of interest, but you need to close in much tighter on the interesting part in the top of the picture.
    The creel which is the point of interest in the second would be more effective in the foreground rather than the background, the foreground is not interesting and is out of focus, for me the third photo has the same problem.

The "Small" landscape to me are the most difficult to do, and an area I am trying to improve on this year, have a look at this website, his work is beautiful.
    http://www.into-the-light.com/

Keep taking the photos.

NL

I can see why you like that site NL!

Default Dunnet Bay in B&W

I had the same thoughts when visiting Dunnet Bay on a dull day last week and converted a few to B&W. Better than colour?

Cor they look chilly eddiston!

thanks for all the feedback folks, I knew that they werern't right but couldn't see where, but now I can think I'm tryig too much too soon as still haven't mastered what all the dials are for.

Having said that I've bought "Dslr for Dummies" and I'll be taking it off with me to Edinburgh tomorrow, it will give me something to read and take my mind off Brodie's operation

Nice set Eddison. Like No.1 & 3 best.

Default Just........

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    thanks for all the feedback folks, I knew that they werern't right but couldn't see where, but now I can think I'm tryig too much too soon as still haven't mastered what all the dials are for.

Having said that I've bought "Dslr for Dummies" and I'll be taking it off with me to Edinburgh tomorrow, it will give me something to read and take my mind off Brodie's operation
    Take pictures. Study them and take it from there. Mind, a lot of this analysis stuff is personal opinion, if you like the picture, then that is the main thing.

Cameras, like so much of todays hardware, tend to come to loaded with features that look impressive but when it comes down to it, aren't always that useful. Don't try to learn everything all at once as getting better as you go is part of the fun .

Very true sprint95m! I just enjoy takin the pics and it is nice to get some feedback on here. I am pickin up stuff as I go along from some very helpful folk and I enjoy seeing everyone's photographs on here!

back again today as its ok for Brodie to have off lead walks again now his stitches are out - pics of him in pets corner

trying this one again but from another angle - much happier with it

Dragonfly, your dunnet beach sets just get better and better - well done

Like the one of the dunes with the stream certainly pulls the eye in.

thanks both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast