Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Googling advice please

Default Googling advice please

If you google a word or an 'exact phrase' in google and it gives you a website that is a very long piece of text, how can you find your word or phrase without reading through reams and reams of irrelevant material? Google doesn't highlight the word or anything so it makes it quite time consuming to find what you want.

thanks in advance
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Once you get to the page google has sent you to do the following:

Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Find" (or press Ctrl + F) then type in the word you are looking for and click "Find Next"

cheers, you're a star!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    Once you get to the page google has sent you to do the following:

Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Find" (or press Ctrl + F) then type in the word you are looking for and click "Find Next"
    This works in both Internet Explorer and Firefox, but I think the latter's "Find" facility is better because it opens a toolbar at the bottom of your browser window instead of opening a new window, and it does incremental searches whilst highlighting the first occurrence of your search string.

If you download the Google Toolbar, then you have access to Google at all times, and you can highlight all occurrences of your Google search string by clicking on the yellow highlighter pen in the toolbar. I don't use the Google Toolbar with Firefox (which has its own builtin search tool), but I find it essential for IE6. My desktop XP machine at work has vanilla IE6, and I don't have administrator privilege on it (our fix-it pixies are neurotic about security), so I almost never use the thing.
    Last edited by DrSzin; 14-Feb-06 at 01:38.

alZir Guest

Hi guys...... I'm a newb, so I thought I'd make my maiden post on a useful subject.

I read the above methods on finding keywords. Noted that Rhegheadmentioned keyword highlighting.
    Google gives you the keywords highlighted in different colours if you go for the 'cached' link.

Caithness.Org :: Caithness Community Web Site - 3 visits - Feb 14Caithness, Scotland. If it's happening in Caithness, this is the place to find it.
    www.caithness.org/ - 39k - 15 Feb 2006 -
    Cached - Similar pages - Remove result
    Caithness.Org Forums - Powered ... - School Days
    Job Vacancies - Caithness.Org ... - Links - Weather
    More results from www.caithness.org »
    Not only a newb, but a googlehead........

z