Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Moeller Method for snare drumming

Default The Moeller Method for snare drumming

Is anyone familiar with this drumming discipline? It seems to be a slightly black art but as far as i know it's to do with using a looser grip, allowing greater stick rebound to increase speed and power via down and up strokes. Or something.

Apparently Jim Chapin and Freddie Gruber teach it and Neil Peart and Dave Weckl are proponents of it.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I was just gonna say... what about the Buddy Rich?

He he. Buddy's style was definitely a black art.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Send Calum McIntyre a message via MySpace:

www.myspace.com/calumdrums

I have a feeling he'll know. Just don't let his seizure-inducing webpage put you into a coma.

Fantastic! Sounds like someones been listening to mr bungle. Do you know the guy?

I know Calum, aye. I've played a couple of gigs with him before, and he's a regular denizen at the Edinburgh Jazz Bar. In fact, if he's not at home he's usually down there. A mighty find drummer, he also has a tasty habit for mono, second-line drumming. He also looks tired a lot.

I've just started learning it, to be honest it feels very strange, but I can see the point in it so will stick with it.

Buy the JoJo Mayer DVD, he describes it brilliantly among other things to do with grip and technique.

Aye i looked at that one, theres another guy that teaches it too, michael michalkows, who has a dvd out too.

Im going to start off with jim chapins book/dvd thing. Moeller taught him and he taught mayer so it'll be along the same lines. Plus chapin wears a suit and tie during the whole thing-sartorial elegance and bafflingly fast hands, what a guy.

I've been doing the basic exercises on the pad and theres definitely a logic to it. Dave Weckls clips on youtube make a lot of sense. He maintains the rebound/bounce is part of the upstroke, though Chapin says it's not. Whatever, i think i'll go for the weckl dvd too.

Keep me posted how ur doing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    Aye i looked at that one, theres another guy that teaches it too, michael michalkows, who has a dvd out too.

Im going to start off with jim chapins book/dvd thing. Moeller taught him and he taught mayer so it'll be along the same lines. Plus chapin wears a suit and tie during the whole thing-sartorial elegance and bafflingly fast hands, what a guy.

I've been doing the basic exercises on the pad and theres definitely a logic to it. Dave Weckls clips on youtube make a lot of sense. He maintains the rebound/bounce is part of the upstroke, though Chapin says it's not. Whatever, i think i'll go for the weckl dvd too.

Keep me posted how ur doing with it.
    At the rate im going it'll be 10 years before you get an update! Cant keep the sticks in my hand after 3 strokes

Default The Kilpatrick method for snare drumming

Last edited by TBH; 20-Feb-09 at 10:32.

I suffer from weak wrists as i've broken both too many times. I find this video from tony royster good fun to have a bash at. His explanation to the Moeller method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U66XZjaRt0
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Thanks for sharing - truely stunning playing and technique
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    I suffer from weak wrists as i've broken both too many times. I find this video from tony royster good fun to have a bash at. His explanation to the Moeller method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U66XZjaRt0
    Nice stuff too Zeb
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Thanks for sharing - truely stunning playing and technique
    Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Nice stuff too Zeb
    SOOOOOOOOOOOO will one be seeing an improvement in technique at the weekend senor mac........???????? after seeing the videos (that I've not yet watched)

I'll be scrutinising & giving marks out of 1 just as the acoustic basher asks to be turned up/down/completely out of the mix yes

Nice to see Roysters take on it. Interesting that he seems to totally disregard the idea of the stick bouncing on the downstroke.

Chapin seems to favour an exaggerated-movement version of it but i suppose this is for beginners at it like moi who need to get it logged in the muscle memory-note his right hand index finger is not wrapped round the stick, allowing the stick to bounce up to fully vertical. Weckl prescribes this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNb-kUPwMI

OMG that is damned impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    OMG that is damned impressive
    Damned impressive and another reason for Scotland to be proud.

I got Jim Chapins book today. Im gonna put on a suit and tie and start practicing circular motion and be bop rhythms right this second!