Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: guitar tidy up

Default guitar tidy up

i have an older yamaha acoustic bought 2nd hand about 25 years ago that really sounds lovely but, could definately do with some work. Bit buzzy on the low end sometimes and the machineheads seem loose as it slips out of tune easy. Anybody diagnose and suggest what i could do to tidy up a bit? My OH wants to put electrics in it but, i'm not so keen as im feared it might affect the full and aged sound it has to it. What ya think?

Would suggest you replace the machine heads and as to the buzzing this is probably the top nut ,which if you feel confident in doing you can remove it and insert a shim below it to raise it slightly or do the same as the machine heads and replace with a new one.

If your not sure how to replace then i would suggest you put it to a guitar luthier. There is a guy at the top of newton hill in wick who repairs guitars his name is Willie Mackay not sure of his address or number but someone on here will.

As to the electric's you can get pick-up's that fit in the sound hole so no need to carve up the guitar, Will they affect the tone,sound of the guitar yes to a greater or lesser degree dependant on what amp you play through. This would be the same if you used a microphone instead of pick-up's.

Quote Originally Posted by youoldduffer View Post
    Would suggest you replace the machine heads and as to the buzzing this is probably the top nut ,which if you feel confident in doing you can remove it and insert a shim below it to raise it slightly or do the same as the machine heads and replace with a new one.

If your not sure how to replace then i would suggest you put it to a guitar luthier. There is a guy at the top of newton hill in wick who repairs guitars his name is Willie Mackay not sure of his address or number but someone on here will.

As to the electric's you can get pick-up's that fit in the sound hole so no need to carve up the guitar, Will they affect the tone,sound of the guitar yes to a greater or lesser degree dependant on what amp you play through. This would be the same if you used a microphone instead of pick-up's.
    Willie is not doing guitars these days, he is studying fiddle making in Newark.
    I could take a look at it if you wish. PM me if you do.

Yeah heard that today when i was out, is he still gonna do guitars or stick to fiddle. I spoke to him last year and he said he was of to do a luthier course abroad.

Wish he was doing the guitars when i sent of my old charvel to moon guitars in glasgow who snapped the neck, never felt the same after.

Quote Originally Posted by youoldduffer View Post
    Yeah heard that today when i was out, is he still gonna do guitars or stick to fiddle. I spoke to him last year and he said he was of to do a luthier course abroad.

Wish he was doing the guitars when i sent of my old charvel to moon guitars in glasgow who snapped the neck, never felt the same after.
    He is on a three year course and is getting very interested in bass's.
    I have been known to do the occasional set up but not on a commercial level.

yeah i tinker around a bit with my own and have done a couple of friends guitars. I am planning at some point changing the trem and pick-up's on my samick love the guitar just dont like the unstable trem (licensed by floyd rose) and want a proper floydie on it.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    Bit buzzy on the low end sometimes and the machineheads seem loose as it slips out of tune easy. Anybody diagnose and suggest what i could do to tidy up a bit?
    I'd suggest loosening the truss-rod and see if that helps with the buzzy strings, before butchering the top nut.

Instructions here - http://www.expertvillage.com/video/5...r-acoustic.htm
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Buzzy bottom string seems to be temperature thing. if it's warm it's golden.. if it's cold it's buzzy as a bee. I will replace machineheads with new ones and see what happens! Thanks for advice everyone. I will be messaging you Gleber2 if I need to do something further. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by roadbowler View Post
    Buzzy bottom string seems to be temperature thing. if it's warm it's golden.. if it's cold it's buzzy as a bee. I will replace machineheads with new ones and see what happens! Thanks for advice everyone. I will be messaging you Gleber2 if I need to do something further. Cheers!
    Might not be machine heads if it is a temperature thing. Would not recommend that you touch the truss rod without experience.
    I would be glad to set the guitar up if you wish.