Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thurso Gala - The Big Gig

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I'd love to try and do it, but, well, you know...

Yeah, there would be the element of "THIS time it's gonna work!"

But it probably wouldnt.

I think it's good that the country music festival is doing well, but the notion that the only commercial music event that the county can support is a country and western festival says a lot about the musical, and general i suppose, demographic of the county.

Could people up here just not be that interested in music at all? The majority of "yoof" seem to have a good enough time going out to a nightclub and hearing the same music they're familiar with because they're bombarded by it all week on telly and e wireless, rather than see live music created in front of them.

Is it just a dead horse?
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I know I sound like a stuck record, but bands just don't want to come to Caithness. And the reasons are plentiful.

Whether it's the lack of venues and facilities, whether it's the lack of support, whether it's the low level of fees, or whether it's because previous bands have told them not to bother (bad word travels fast, oh yes), they would much rather venture to Resolis, Inverness, Nairn, Drumnadrochit, Portree, Ullapool etc., etc., before even contemplating the thought of setting one foot in the county.

Meanwhile... over in Orkney... the top roots bands from the UK, Ireland, Scandanavia, Europe, Cape Breton, America, Canada, etc., descend upon the island for what is one of the biggest roots music festivals around. Caithness is no longer an in-joke as a mere stopping-off point on the way to the ferry: it's a cliche.

I meet several bands a week - most of my close friends are professional musicians - yet every time I try to sell Caithness to them (and yes, Metalattakk, I do my very best to try to), their eyes just glaze over at the mention. Has the county's reputation really become so bad?

Granted, Isla (Newmarket, Y-Not), Kirsty (Blackstairs) and the lads at the Dunnet Head Lighthouse all do their level best to attract good, quality live entertainment. However, it's going to take someone with a lot of clout, vision, patience, and the support of the community to not only attract quality to Caithness, but also to help nurture and encourage the talent that already is there. When I was living in Thurso, my friends and I would go to see ANY band - good, bad, or ugly - purely because we were starved of live entertainment. In some ways it reminds me of an architect's model: lots of people doing similar things but in isolation (i.e. not coming together).

Has anything changed?

Talking

revs engine........plane takes off............oh no ELECTRICAL STORM

CRASH AND BURN BABY!!!!

BANG!!!

multi venue weekend would be great, and easy i believe, well not easy but definately an idea that can be done with some dedication.

In that case, it would just be a few more gigs going on around town than normal. And with venues competing for the audience, not everyone would get to see what was on offer. Ridiculous idea, in my opinion.

well come up with a better idea then.

or shall we just let it die.

or leave it dead should i say.

Maybe there arent any ideas worth pursuing. Better to let the body decay and go back to the soil from whence it came.

I dont feel deprived of live music as a listener, it's the lack of opportunities to play music that's frustrating for me.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

If the people of Thurso feel they deserve valuable entertainment then we should probably wait until they shout loud enough. The only people sharing concerns - caring? - are the musicians themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    The only people sharing concerns - caring? - are the musicians themselves.
    You are correct sir. Perhaps a regular meeting and jam session for musicians is in order-no audiences of course, just musicians that want to play are allowed to attend. It could be held in a cave like the annoying brats in Dead Poets Society.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    You are correct sir. Perhaps a regular meeting and jam session for musicians is in order-no audiences of course, just musicians that want to play are allowed to attend. It could be held in a cave like the annoying brats in Dead Poets Society.
    Or under a well in Sinclair Castle?

I do genuinely feel sorry for musicians oop north who can't find their audience, or the neccessary support they require (musicians need to feed off audiences, too). Geography, it seems, always has the last laugh.

Buddy, I suggest you read my new, imaginary book. It's called:
    How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Funk.

Ha. Sounds like a compelling read. Surpassed only by Im With The Pipe Band-My Story by Strider.

Playing to a load of blank faces, or even just a few blank faces isnt the most fun to be had. Unless ur in Faith No More. They seemed to positively thrive on getting a hostile audience.

I would give my big toe for faith no more to reform and do a gig in the newmarket or some other tiny place. My house perhaps. I dont know why my toe would be important but it's my imaginary story.

Default There is places to play,so go for it?

[I dont feel deprived of live music as a listener, it's the lack of opportunities to play music that's frustrating for me.[/quote]

Surely this must be down to what you have to offer, If you stick your guitar neck out and do your own stuff then go with it and hopefully somebody somewhere will like it , if you are a cover monkey then you better be good at it coz there is a template.

A little bird told me that the awful noise you heard in the Y-not several Saturday's ago was packed to the door, so get out your manual of "how to pull a crowd and keep em"
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

It was indeed loud, and it was indeed packed to the door.

It was also packed with schoolkids more than aybody else i think. maybe live music has skipped a generations interests eh? or maybe the kids dont have much else to do on saturday night.

The fact that they, (including myself last year, ill take some blame for it) have been able to actually make the big gigs happen between the already over worked TTIA and half arsed helpers means that if a good bloke with a bit of organisation knowhow was involved, they could pull of something pretty good.

the monies are avaliable and at least some bands (maybe too much on the heavy selection) are more than keen to play, for free!!

All we need is a leader. . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    It was indeed loud, and it was indeed packed to the door.

It was also packed with schoolkids more than aybody else i think. maybe live music has skipped a generations interests eh? or maybe the kids dont have much else to do on saturday night.

The fact that they, (including myself last year, ill take some blame for it) have been able to actually make the big gigs happen between the already over worked TTIA and half arsed helpers means that if a good bloke with a bit of organisation knowhow was involved, they could pull of something pretty good.

the monies are avaliable and at least some bands (maybe too much on the heavy selection) are more than keen to play, for free!!

All we need is a leader. . . . . . . .
    Is this what it comes down to, the age/standard of person, that comes to see a band, I cant remember hearing anybody being refused entry to see a live band just because they didn't fit the bands thoughts on who should listen to them.

as for skipping a generation,, pull your socks up, what generation are you referring to.
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    A little bird told me that the awful noise you heard in the Y-not several Saturday's ago was packed to the door, so get out your manual of "how to pull a crowd and keep em"
    The little bird was right, it was packed out but in the context of staging a multi-band festival event, it was a fairly narrow cross-section of the public that made up the crowd-perhaps you could issue a retraction and quote my comment about selective appeal.

You could be onto something about what one has to offer, but then again i dunno. A conceit of mine is having pride in playing different styles-scottish, jazz/blues/puppet show and even a spell with stevie t and everything seems to be a struggle to find an audience.

But point taken, the young whippersnappers are clearly more willing to go out and hear that type of heavy music which i clumsily besmirched by offering a personal opinon on.

Haha priceless.
    Maybe if people on here were not so picky/fussy then our music community wouldn't be in the state it is.

I mean who cares if it's young people or old people going to a gig? It doesn't matter at all, it's still people

Not been to any *proper* gigs recently Kev? You would be amazed at the amount of "schoolkids" that go to gigs/festivals to see "proper" bands play , you think the Foo Fighters say things like "No-one under 14 is allowed to see us live"

But then again, it is each to their own.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    Indoor for sure, It is really difficult to think of suitable venues but the whole idea of doing a SXSW festival type thing is appealing, it would need about 4 venues in town, i.e. Newmarket, Y-Not, Skinandi's, and maybe Popeye's/Comm.

Could do it over a saturday and sunday and have say 3 bands on in each venue.
    Just an idea to throw out there.

I like this idea Logan! Me and Scollay would be up for that, we'll get our names in their just now if it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    It could be called THE LAMINATED BOOK OF DREAMS FESTIVAL!

I'm in!

Billy Bailey classic haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Billy Bailey classic haha!!
    Yes indeed

FLASHBACK!!

bands were asked on numerous occasions to come forward and form a group last year, to discuss and help.

NO ONE BUT BIG KEV TURNED UP!

i think its pointless really, not because no one can do it. but because our community is a mixture of torn opinions, self rightousness, lack of respect and enthusiasm,

i have genuinely only spoke to and seen a handful of people that just want to play and have a good time, and are thankful for the punters that come out.

i will be sitting in the backbenches from now on, cause i honestly believe that no one person can bring the music community together, no one group can bring it together, only the musicians can and that is not going to happen.

we can only hope that in twenty years things can get better.

lol its a musical recession

These things always Die the death of a thousand papercuts, it lasts for a while but eventually your all drained out and its GAME OVER!

Its what happens, look at bands, happens to those all the time, just like events like these!

It had a few years, be thankful for that i say!

Reevs Moshpit anyone, now that would be oldskool?!?!

heh heh heh

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast