Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Thurso Gala - The Big Gig

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thurso Gala - The Big Gig

Just letting you all know the TTIA committee decided not to do The Big Gig this year due to various reasons. Any ideas or if you would like to organise/help run an indoor music event please contact us. I am away until Tuesday so I will reply to any ideas after then.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurso Town Improvements View Post
    Just letting you all know the TTIA committee decided not to do The Big Gig this year due to various reasons. Any ideas or if you would like to organise/help run an indoor music event please contact us. I am away until Tuesday so I will reply to any ideas after then.

Thats a shame, although I do beleive an indoor event my well be better suited given that three years in a row the weather has been awful!

It would be good if something could be arranged that would involve those looking into the development of the Viewfirth site. A wee reminder for them that Caithness arts is not all about theatre and brass bands.

Indoor makes much more sense. Outdoor is an atavistic dead end-the sound is never great purely because it's outside and the weather ruins everything and wastes peoples time and effort.

Is there something to be said for having a Thurso Live music festival that features a weekend or a few days of many different types of live bands in the local pubs? It would beat cramming a load of mismatched musicians onto a trailer in a field in the pouring rain. That type of communal misery is getting really old up here.

We played Shetland blues festival last year and there was music EVERYWHERE. It was of course mostly blues but you couldnt go into any pub without some kind of live music happening under the umbrella of the festival. Why not a multi-genre event that celebrates the kind of ecelcticism you see for example at the Ynot open mic?

And it'd get punters back into pubs that are supposedly suffering a lack of trade-Cazart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

various reasons.
    What are they?

Let me think, weathers, costs, security, costs, weather, poor turnout last year, probably weather.

I think it was a non starter last year Pepsi. A trailer in a field was always going to be a bit difficult, especially with the sort of weather we get in the part of the country. However, it was good to try it out.

An indoor event makes sense, but where should it be held and would people actually go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    An indoor event makes sense, but where should it be held and would people actually go?
    First place that springs to mind is Thurso Town Hall. Has anyone been in it yet? And if so is there still a hall big enough to do it in? No reason why we couldnt ask and after all the money that was spent doing it up, it would make sense to use it. Another good place already with the equipment in place would be skinandis but sure as anything people would start moaning and grumbling that Brian Cardosi would only let a festival use it so that he gained out of it himself.

Failing any of those suggestions there is also the British Legion and the Thurso Players Mill

there is no HALL anymore

no room at all for that sort of stuff

Your only best bet would be a barn...
    Thats the biggest you will get

I done a weding last year at Thurso East and the barn was big for it but it might be out of the way for some people to walk to it though.

Skins and the legion is far too small to do a few bands at a time.

well there are lots of bands out there who dont have the recognition they need and playing in a charty event is a good way of getting publicity for yourselves i think if you where to have lots of different band such as county blues traditional rock pop etc instead of heavy metal band ALL the time you would encourage alot more people to come out and give there money to see them but if you where to have for instance say country blues and rock and roll as in (60's) in one venue and rock and pop in another etc you would have more choice and more audiences everyone i know have moaned every year when big gig is on as it all seems to be the bands that play hard rock or metal that play there and no other genres are involved i know a number of people who play other types of music who would LOVE to have chance to play but get put off by being told " oh it's only heavy metal thats playes there you wouldn't fit in "eg MEmphis Jurisdiction they play in y-not in open mic night they really good you hould hear them infact you can on www.openmicthurso.co.uk plus loads other band that play there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the legion lets you use there big hall for a donation i had my daughters party there and thats what they said to us you might be able to get it free if it for charity cardosi with skinandies would MAYBE let you use it if you told him he'd get GREAT local publicity plus make a killing selling in the bar theres a few other places even if a pub was to take on a few bands it would get the public out in there own town too with PLENTY choice of what they WANTED to hear anyways it just an idea
    ps theres also schools with big halls worth a try thy can only say yes or no.

Quote Originally Posted by babybeenie2801 View Post
    etc instead of heavy metal band ALL the time you would encourage alot more people to come out and give there money.

Question: Name more than 4 of these so called heavy metal bands, Who have played one of the Big Gigs please?
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

i don't think that babybeenie means heavy metal as such zebedy, but more rock bands as opposed to say, country or easy listening
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    i don't think that babybeenie means heavy metal as such zebedy, but more rock bands as opposed to say, country or easy listening
    Country has its own very succesful festival only a few months before the Big Gig, along with events throughout the year, does it really need more? Why drown the rest of the scene with the same stuff.

Easy listening at an open air gig

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Country has its own very succesful festival only a few months before the Big Gig, along with events throughout the year, does it really need more? Why drown the rest of the scene with the same stuff.

Easy listening at an open air gig
    you are 100% correct big mac and i never at any point in my comment suggested that it should be involved. i was merely explaining how i felt babybeenie's comment was meant to come across rather than backing it as such.

i also think its a common misconception that people mistakenly call any band with a bit of distortion "heavy metal" - but hey, that's by the by
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    Question: Name more than 4 of these so called heavy metal bands, Who have played one of the Big Gigs please?
    Completely agree.

Its a common misconseption of the whole event. Im afraid to say that most folk think that anything with distortion and a band name that doesnt begin with "the" must be heavy metal.

Its easy to forget that many other bands have had the chance and played over the last three years. Mr Mchairg (sp) anyone? Can hardly describe him as Heavy Metal!!!

But dont let the truth get in the the way of facts