Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thurso Gala - The Big Gig

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    FLASHBACK!!

bands were asked on numerous occasions to come forward and form a group last year, to discuss and help.

NO ONE BUT BIG KEV TURNED UP!
    Oops. I take it back. If that was the case, then that says it all. Move along, y'all, nothing to see here...

I'd be glad to help, I don't know how but more than happy to...

Personally I like Logan's idea. A weekend of music and bands in pubs throughout Thurso. The Ynot would be an excellent place for bands such an No Exit Wound and Failed the Hero as they are usually quite popular with the young uns. The Comm could feature its traditional music. Perhaps some open mic nights and some country, as well as your old rock/metal, althought where they could play im not sure?! Skinandis could do something on a Sunday? I think Scotty Shearer quite fancied a band night, perhaps on a Friday, get a mixture of music, maybe a good old fashioned battle of the bands!

Its really up to the bands to get this happening, ask around the pubs first of all to see if theyd like this. Im sure some of the aforementioned bands would do it for free, it goes towards fundraising doesnt it? Im sure you'd get a couple free pints out of it eh!

Im putting this out there to all the bands, will they heed the call? Myself and Scollay (probably) would be up for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

Personally I like Logan's idea. A weekend of music and bands in pubs throughout Thurso. The Ynot would be an excellent place for bands such an No Exit Wound and Failed the Hero as they are usually quite popular with the young uns. The Comm could feature its traditional music. Perhaps some open mic nights and some country, as well as your old rock/metal, althought where they could play im not sure?! Skinandis could do something on a Sunday? I think Scotty Shearer quite fancied a band night, perhaps on a Friday, get a mixture of music, maybe a good old fashioned battle of the bands!

Its really up to the bands to get this happening, ask around the pubs first of all to see if theyd like this. Im sure some of the aforementioned bands would do it for free, it goes towards fundraising doesnt it? Im sure you'd get a couple free pints out of it eh!

Im putting this out there to all the bands, will they heed the call? Myself and Scollay (probably) would be up for this!
    We would be happy to get something sorted as there is a potential audience out there for all styles of music.
    It would take a lot of effort but I'm pretty sure if everyone was keen for it then it could be done.

It's probably easier to sort out like 4 venues in town for a couple of days than it is to sort out trailers and P.A. system for the Big Gig.

How about a meeting of folk and if nobody turns up then give it the final kiss goodbye?
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

I didn't really want to give a serious response to this thread, but I will.

The word committee pretty much puts a lot of people off IMO. Unfortunately, that's how this rolls. The second problem comes with trying to get musicians involved. Sorry, but that is also a problem. Musicians will only try and do what's best for their own band. I know I would, I know most people would. Musicians have egos... they either need to have someone massage them, or they try and do it themselves. Most musicians on the board and around the world won't admit it, but it's true.

Musicians want what's best for themselves. Someone needs to be independent, open minded, have lots of energy(especially important), have the nerve to offend people, but be willing to leave that aside, for this to work.

As far as I'm aware, nobody fits that bill. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but people aren't as interested in music as the musicians themselves. The youngsters are and it always makes me happy that they turn up to shows, because there's hope for the future. But amongst the sort of 18+ age group, the amount of people turning up, just to watch live music, falls greatly.

People are too interested in getting plastered at the weekends. Pepsi is right, nothing to see here... move along.

Oh well, it was worth a try.
    Will there be any point in bands playing shows in Thurso soon?

I'd started writing that before you put your post up.

I'm not dismissing it, but I'm pretty sceptical.

Bands, playing gigs in Thurso? How many bands do it regularly these days?

Not a lot tbh, there was a fair amount of live music over christmas/new year but not much since.
    The idea for the weekend "festival" would only be for a weekend, once a yearm you could say people would go to see band play but then you could look at the poor turnout at the big gig and say there wouldn't be many who would go.

It's a difficult one to judge really, although if the bands were indoors I think more people would go, especially in the evening as opposed to bands playing during the day.

Time will tell I guess.

As I said before, it's a ridiculous idea to have acts playing in several different places at the same time, as it makes too much of a demand (competition) on what limited audience there already is. And as Jeid hints at, it's perhaps best if it were a non-musician who was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I'd started writing that before you put your post up.

I'm not dismissing it, but I'm pretty sceptical.

Bands, playing gigs in Thurso? How many bands do it regularly these days?

Me and Scollay have been asked to play in 3 pubs we just have to learn a full 2-3hr set. I think there is still an audience for music in pubs. Its good craic. For the few 'gigs' we have played we have got a good wee sing a long and a warm reception, and a decent turnout too, despite not even having a name lol. But, from what i've seen, quite a few of the younger kids like going to listen to Astronot/FTH/NEW, the Ynot and Skins gigs got good turn outs, as a lot of them like that music, and they like being allowed in pubs at the same time! I don't know if there is the same demand for older rock such as Saxifer and other bands in a similar vein. But as far as I am aware J Fats still gets a good number. As long as there is music I think there will be a demand for live music!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    As I said before, it's a ridiculous idea to have acts playing in several different places at the same time, as it makes too much of a demand (competition) on what limited audience there already is. And as Jeid hints at, it's perhaps best if it were a non-musician who was involved.
    Your probably right, but has it ever been tried? If it was advertised enough, i think the turn out would be the same as usual. Young fowk like to go watch bands such as FTH/NEW at the Ynot. Traditional music still pulls in a older crowd for The Comm, and myself and Scollay have our own set of friends aged between 19-25 we drag along to our wee gigs lol. Really have to cater for different tastes and keeping it balanced!

another thing, just to keep it more interesting, i think there wud need to be a lot more bands involved...people might be a wee bit bored hearin the same bands over and over again. bit of variety for those that wud be interested.

just my thoughts!

[QUOTE=Kenneth;503878]Your probably right, but has it ever been tried? If it was advertised enough, i think the turn out would be the same as usual.QUOTE]

As I said before, yes, it was - in the early 90s. It was officially part of the Edge Of The World. The band I was in played on a Wednesday night at the Central. The only people that were in were a bus-load of OAPS who, I must say, politely applauded and said nice things about the angry young men playing Sonic Youth and the Jesus & Mary Chain at them. Had the OAPs not been in that night, we'd have been playing to about ten people plus the bar staff.

Advertised? Yes, in the local papers, and on A4-sized posters stuck up around the local shops.

myself and Scollay have our own set of friends aged between 19-25 we drag along to our wee gigs lol.
    I think that kind of sums up Caithness music for a lot of bands. They drag their friends along. Some of us are lucky enough to play gigs and we don't know who half the people are, which is grand.

No offense intended Kenneth, but it's being a bit adventurous to have a few venues with live music on at the same time when half the time, people couldn't give two hoots.

Logan is right in saying that there was a lot of live music on over xmas. My band intentionally target these times as we feel it's when we'll have the biggest audiences. Students come home and want stuff to do rather than sit at home for 3weeks doing nothing. Live music, be it to their taste or not, gives them that.

I love live music, but I'll raise my hand and say I don't always make an effort to go and see live bands. I've been to every No Exit Wound gig that I could make, I've been to most of the Crimson Tide gigs that I could make, but other than that, I'm generally not interested. I know plenty of musicians on here who are exactly the same. If we as musicians aren't totally interested in seeing bands, how are we supposed to convince others?

It's a tough task, not totally impossible, just improbable.

I was one of the people who intended to help with the Big Gig last year, but even before the event, I didn't think it'd be worth it. No disrespect to the people involved, they did what they could. I just think that it's a lost cause. Shame really..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I think that kind of sums up Caithness music for a lot of bands. They drag their friends along. Some of us are lucky enough to play gigs and we don't know who half the people are, which is grand.

No offense intended Kenneth, but it's being a bit adventurous to have a few venues with live music on at the same time when half the time, people couldn't give two hoots.

Logan is right in saying that there was a lot of live music on over xmas. My band intentionally target these times as we feel it's when we'll have the biggest audiences. Students come home and want stuff to do rather than sit at home for 3weeks doing nothing. Live music, be it to their taste or not, gives them that.

I love live music, but I'll raise my hand and say I don't always make an effort to go and see live bands. I've been to every No Exit Wound gig that I could make, I've been to most of the Crimson Tide gigs that I could make, but other than that, I'm generally not interested. I know plenty of musicians on here who are exactly the same. If we as musicians aren't totally interested in seeing bands, how are we supposed to convince others?

It's a tough task, not totally impossible, just improbable.

I was one of the people who intended to help with the Big Gig last year, but even before the event, I didn't think it'd be worth it. No disrespect to the people involved, they did what they could. I just think that it's a lost cause. Shame really..

This is pretty much the definitive post on this thread.
    Well put and I guess now there is now not much more that can be said.

We will still be playing gigs in Thurso as long as people turn up as I'm sure Astronot will too, as people have said, there is a crowd for our music regardless of how old they are.

Good post Jeid.

[quote=The Pepsi Challenge;503908]
    Your probably right, but has it ever been tried? If it was advertised enough, i think the turn out would be the same as usual.QUOTE]

As I said before, yes, it was - in the early 90s. It was officially part of the Edge Of The World. The band I was in played on a Wednesday night at the Central. The only people that were in were a bus-load of OAPS who, I must say, politely applauded and said nice things about the angry young men playing Sonic Youth and the Jesus & Mary Chain at them. Had the OAPs not been in that night, we'd have been playing to about ten people plus the bar staff.

Advertised? Yes, in the local papers, and on A4-sized posters stuck up around the local shops.
    I thought this gig would be played at the weekend? Wednesday night in the Central!!?? Oh lordy, its barely open on nights now, Top Joes might get one or twa in but thats if you're lucky. Its quite heaving at the weekend (annoyingly for me as i work behind e damn bar there)

Well theres not much else you can do to advertise, apart from the Caithness Courier/John O Groat Journal, word of mouth, and good ol Caithness FM. Unless you are thinking that the Big Gig is hoping to attract visitors from other places?? I dont think that will happen in the near future, not unless a lot of funding and effort is put into it.

Yeah I agree Jeid!

Well at least i tried to get this off e ground lol. Its probably just worth playin gigs every so often instead of another big gig. The 2 years i have been the turn out was less than expected. Shame though, maybe more bands from Wick and out West, you know, might have been alright. Oh well!!

If anyone is genuinely serious about organising a music festival - be it rock, jazz, folk or pop - it would require funding from a funding body, a water-tight proposal to convince them to even part with a one penny, and all from a group of people with experience and a proven track record. Nope, me neither.

However, for those with a bit of vision (i.e. forward-thinking individuals or willing groups who will be based in Caithness over the next five years), they could do worse than contact the mother of all folk festivals (don't worry about the genre for now), the Shetland Folk Festival and ask them for information and advice, as am sure they would be willing to help. First point of contact would be Mhari Pottinger at: info@shetlandfolkfestival.com.

There's also the Girvan Folk Festival, a small festival, but one that has steadily grown over the years to become a well-respected one in its own right. You could do worse than ask them for advice, too: www.girvanfolkfestival.co.uk/

Then there's the Highland 2007 fund. I could barely believe that by Xmas 2008 there was still money in the pot available; money that could be used - and is intended to be used - by forward-thinking groups in the Far North (the deprived of a music festival Far North - just an example) who might consider putting on a music festival in Thurso or elsewhere in Caithness. It's possible that money is still available.

And as some are well aware on this very board, organising a music festival is a hard, usually thankless task. However, given the fact Caithness is widely recognised as the sick orphan of highland music events, those who are perhaps willing to pull it together and renew its reputation may well be lauded in the many years to come...

As I've said before, I was sorely tempted to try and resurrect the Thurso Folk Festival along with those who would, quite possibly, make it a reality. However, geography, as if I haven't said it enough, has the last laugh (on me, on this occasion) once again.

Good luck to one and all who wish to try to do somethin similar.

You only have to look at the Nashville festival to see why our own one's dont work.

They book "big bands". Bands the crowd will pay a good bit of cash to see.

They also provide somewhere to sit, drink, eat, smoke, pee in relative comfort.

They also give a few local bands the chance to play to a crowd that wants to see the style of music they play. And if they turn out to be rubbish they are still encouraged by the crowd with their polite applause.

Of just those three things, which has any other festival tried to achieve.

You have to bear in mind Northern Nashville started out many moons ago putting on the occasional show for like minded people in a venue that was more than happy to have them as the crowd always has plenty of cash to spend, leaving the committee to worry about raising the cash to pay bands, not venue's.

Does that sound so impossible to do?

Anybody up for doing that kind of thing?

I dont know whty all you guys bother with these threads, the music "community" up here doesnt exist. Wishfull thinking on anyones part to even think for a second it does.

Im not being Cheeky, im saying it as it is.

This forum is the closest thing to a community there is, and well, that should be enough!

Do what everyone does, their own thing, cause a group of ego's always ends in tears.

You know im right!
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

REEEEEEEEV! I still have the vid of you and davey after shug's wedding-scandalous.

You probably have a point though. There isnt really a community of musicians per se-we're isolated and theres not much going on but instead of pulling together it seems like pepsi's architects model is the reality.

Country music seems to have built up a pretty active constituency over a long time, but i dont think it would work the same way for us slightly younger folk (and metalattakk) because it is true wot jeid sed-forming a committee for live music would just descend into squabbling and egos. Plus it sounds a bit Orwellian. A vaguely utopian vision of a world where committees decide what music we hear.

......................anyway.

It's all relative-i think the Big Names of country music are slightly more accessible than say, big rock names. The accordion and fiddle clubs of wick and thurso have the big names of that scene visit their concerts every month and they do very well.

Anyway, i may be getting bored with this thread.

Anyone for a round of Guts-ball?
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast