Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thurso Gala - The Big Gig

Ive still got that too, genius is all i need say sesh, GENIUS!

Im thinking more along the lines of a game of HALO, Forge anyone!??!?

The committee thign was done before, anyone remember Blue Monday

it was an excellent "talkers" group, though i had no sins to admit to, im no alcoholic, no evil thoughts, at one point we sat around in a circle (i had an urge to stand up and admit to anything and everything),

I was invited to a reforming of the committee, we went to a few meetings, lots of grand ideas, lots of talk, then it fizzled away into nothing and was never heard from again, how many years ago now was that, quite a few!

The older guys had the right idea before, we came in and they wanted to "pass on the mantle"

It failed!
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Default Gig

Thank you for your ideas I will pass them on to the Committee on the 8th March.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurso Town Improvements View Post
    Just letting you all know the TTIA committee decided not to do The Big Gig this year due to various reasons. Any ideas or if you would like to organise/help run an indoor music event please contact us. I am away until Tuesday so I will reply to any ideas after then.

well there are lots of bands out there who dont have the recognition they need and playing in a charty event is a good way of getting publicity for yourselves i think if you where to have lots of different band such as county blues traditional rock pop etc instead of heavy metal band ALL the time you would encourage alot more people to come out and give there money to see them but if you where to have for instance say country blues and rock and roll as in (60's) in one venue and rock and pop in another etc you would have more choice and more audiences everyone i know have moaned every year when big gig is on as it all seems to be the bands that play hard rock or metal that play there and no other genres are involved i know a number of people who play other types of music who would LOVE to have chance to play but get put off by being told " oh it's only heavy metal thats playes there you wouldn't fit in "eg MEmphis Jurisdiction they play in y-not in open mic night they really good you hould hear them infact you can on www.openmicthurso.co.uk plus loads other band that play there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the legion lets you use there big hall for a donation i had my daughters party there and thats what they said to us you might be able to get it free if it for charity cardosi with skinandies would MAYBE let you use it if you told him he'd get GREAT local publicity plus make a killing selling in the bar theres a few other places even if a pub was to take on a few bands it would get the public out in there own town too with PLENTY choice of what they WANTED to hear anyways it just an idea
    ps theres also schools with big halls worth a try thy can only say yes or no.

Quote Originally Posted by babybeenie2801 View Post
    etc instead of heavy metal band ALL the time you would encourage alot more people to come out and give there money.

Question: Name more than 4 of these so called heavy metal bands, Who have played one of the Big Gigs please?
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

i don't think that babybeenie means heavy metal as such zebedy, but more rock bands as opposed to say, country or easy listening
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    Question: Name more than 4 of these so called heavy metal bands, Who have played one of the Big Gigs please?
    Completely agree.

Its a common misconseption of the whole event. Im afraid to say that most folk think that anything with distortion and a band name that doesnt begin with "the" must be heavy metal.

Its easy to forget that many other bands have had the chance and played over the last three years. Mr Mchairg (sp) anyone? Can hardly describe him as Heavy Metal!!!

But dont let the truth get in the the way of facts

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    i don't think that babybeenie means heavy metal as such zebedy, but more rock bands as opposed to say, country or easy listening
    Country has its own very succesful festival only a few months before the Big Gig, along with events throughout the year, does it really need more? Why drown the rest of the scene with the same stuff.

Easy listening at an open air gig

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Country has its own very succesful festival only a few months before the Big Gig, along with events throughout the year, does it really need more? Why drown the rest of the scene with the same stuff.

Easy listening at an open air gig
    you are 100% correct big mac and i never at any point in my comment suggested that it should be involved. i was merely explaining how i felt babybeenie's comment was meant to come across rather than backing it as such.

i also think its a common misconception that people mistakenly call any band with a bit of distortion "heavy metal" - but hey, that's by the by
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

I think whilst the Big Gigs and other such events aren't exactly laden with just 'Heavy Metal', it is quite clear that they are more heavy rock-orientated - you have bands such as Saxifer, which appeal to those who like 70s 80s rock; bands such as a No Exit Wound and Astronot who would appeal to the younger generation who like punk/ punkmetal/nupunk (WHO KNOWS!!?!? EMO?!??)

Now whilst these bands are talented and good at what they do, I dont think they really appeal to broad spectrum of musical taste. I find myself uninterested by their music (im not going to lie), I'll still go for a wee listen, but I would obviously prefer to listen to something else.

I think the big gig could do with an injection of different styles (not just indie as im sure you are aware I like). The Big Gig is great for those with a more rock-y taste in music but could just do with that little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I think whilst the Big Gigs and other such events aren't exactly laden with just 'Heavy Metal', it is quite clear that they are more heavy rock-orientated - you have bands such as Saxifer, which appeal to those who like 70s 80s rock; bands such as a No Exit Wound and Astronot who would appeal to the younger generation who like punk/ punkmetal/nupunk (WHO KNOWS!!?!? EMO?!??)

Now whilst these bands are talented and good at what they do, I dont think they really appeal to broad spectrum of musical taste. I find myself uninterested by their music (im not going to lie), I'll still go for a wee listen, but I would obviously prefer to listen to something else.

I think the big gig could do with an injection of different styles (not just indie as im sure you are aware I like). The Big Gig is great for those with a more rock-y taste in music but could just do with that little bit more.
    I agree with what you are saying Kenneth but let's look at it this way.
    Does any style/genre of music appeal to a broad spectrum? Well no, not really.
    I mean like you like Indie music for example, and that doesn't really appeal to a broad spectrum.

I ain't dissing it, I'm just stating that nothing really appeals to a broad spectrum. Everyone likes what they like.

But yeah, it would be good to get something on the go, I just feel there is too much negativity surrounding it now.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

I think what makes a good gig is variety.If every band that comes on has a distortion pedal and cranks her to the max then it can be pretty boring for those that dont dig the groove. If theres a little something for everyone then it can appeal to a wider audience and show the diversity of music in the county (which it has!).
    Look at the forum on here for example you have Rock threads,indie threads, Hip hop threads etc, it shows that there are people out there with different flavours of wrigleys in their pocket-not just juicy fruit!!!
    feel free to dis me but "Id rather have a diss than someone take the ...."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234