Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Celtic Connections 2009

Default Celtic Connections 2009

A treasure trove for all music fans;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/...nections/2009/

Personal favourites on the Auld Lang Syne feature are Dick Gaughan's version of 'Now Westling Winds' (making Lennon's 'Imagine' sound like the hippie nonsense it is in comparison), Michael Marra's version of 'Green Grow The Rashes'- the perfect voice for such a great song, and Karine Polwart performing the simple but beautiful 'The Learig'.

Another January, another Celtic Connections. I had a great time at the festival this year. Saw some good acts, saw some outstanding ones, and saw some that didn't belong on the programme at all. As ever, the New Voices was a particular standout - so long as you could get up at 1pm on a Sunday to see it - and for me, Mairearad Green's was the best of the three this year. The Festival Club (think The Shining) was a disaster area, but it was great craic and will provide good stories for years to come. And while the Celtic 'connection' is getting more loose with each passing year, the highlight for me was Allen Toussaint's show at the Old Fruitmarket. Oh aye, and The Treacherous Orchestra, the best folk band this year I'd imagine.

Edit: Special mention must go to Duncan Lyall for playing double bass at just about every gig going.
    And to Eddi Reader, who goes down as one of the most annoying performers I've had the misfortune of seeing.