Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hill of Forss

Default Hill of Forss

Am on the hunt for yet more information.

Have searched for stories about the ghost that's said to haunt Hill of Forss. Does anyone know the story of this ghost?

I'd appreciate any help.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Ah the ghost oh the Hill of Forss.
    Such an elusive ghost he is,so elusive!!!! he is that i have not yet met him in the thirty five years that i have lived in the Hill of Forss,By the way i have had an absence for ten years in between. However now that i am living in the Hill of Forss again i do not seek to see him but if he seeks me, i dare say he will find me,and then i will ask of him his story.

Default hmm

yes, i have heard of him, few times my brother was on his way home (walking from thurso to the top of the hill, a few drinks worse for wear!) im sure iv seen him.. then again that could just my brother, lol!!!
    as sig says you dont seek him... he seeks you....(creepy music cue...)

lol thanks - am still on the hunt for this ghosts story though. All I know about this thing is he likes to drink whisky. He's probably seen more after some whisky's been drunk, I dare say!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Default Ghosties

There is a poem about this character it's in the anthology of Caithness poems called
    "Tatties an' Herrins"..was out of print last time I enquired but was due to be reprinted this summer.If nothing else it's a good read along with the others.

Helen and I saw him once, he was heading towards the river with a fishing pole over his shoulder. He waved his arm and shouted to us ....something about us "going to the fleshpots of Thurso"...but we sped away in our wee red car. We weren't scared.

Default Re: Ghosties

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ
    If nothing else it's a good read along with the others.
    Oh shame on ye wuman sayan that "Tatties & Heerin" is joust a good read, in my umble opinion it is wun o the better modern day verse till cum oot o Kaitness
    Golach

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass
    Helen and I saw him once, he was heading towards the river with a fishing pole over his shoulder. He waved his arm and shouted to us ....something about us "going to the fleshpots of Thurso"...but we sped away in our wee red car. We weren't scared.
    Wasnt that Golach himself?

Squidge,
    "The Fleshpots o Thursa" ??????.......where where??????? Now if ye hed said Week ....well I would hev known them
    Golach

right - I daren't make a comment incase it's made into a weird joke... what on earth are ye's on about!? (yes, I'm blonde, I already know that and no I don't need reminded lol)

Amethyst, I was not making a weird joke....you know me, I don't make weird jokes. I was telling you about an encounter I had, with what might have been that ghostie you asked about.

[quote="sassylass" you know me, I don't make weird jokes. :[/quote]

Huummmph

Golach

i must go up to thye hill of forss when its dark to see if can see this goast

Amethyst,
    the "Ghost" that you have been seeking comes from the poem as was stated by my ould pal Lizz, and the reason for the the ghost are as follows

" Id glided up till Cheaordie, ids fing'ers out lek claws,
    Wi' empty hol's in pleice o' eyes an' mowldy lantran chaws,
    A slimy, sheipless, eerie thing, aal trailan' an furloarn,
    An' a queer-lek fufflan wi' id lek e' win goan through 'e coarn.

By faigs, id sobered Cheordie ! He got an aafil gluff !
    An', deed, ye dinna winder, id wis frichtersome enough;
    An' en id started speaken' --- A'd hev hed a fit masel !
    Id sayed, " Tak heid, Cheorge Sitherland, ye are on the road till Hell !"

An' 'en id gied a reegmarol' 'at Cheordie couldna catch -
    Hees poor inside was goan' lek a Cheip Chon watch -
    Bit fae 'e bits he gethered id seems id hed been sent
    Till warn owld Cheordie off 'e booze an' get him til repent.

so the reason for the ghost was to get George off alcohol

Golach

fankoo golach, it helps.

Sassy - that joke/encounter = weird! lol But we're all gonna smile anyways!

unicorn Guest

Default hill of forse

Possibly poor cheordies wife dressed up an sick of his drammin lol