Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Lunar Halo

1. Default Lunar Halo

A couple from earlier tonight.

Well captured MPH.
    I haven't had the chance to take many photos recently, but felt the need to take a quick snap of the halo tonight myself...

Nice pics guys! What does a halo round the moon mean, if anything? My folks tell me a ring around the moon means snow.
    MPH I would have like a bit more of the church showing in no2.

Great shots both...

I noticed the moon/halo last night too, was stunning.

Well captured.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    Nice pics guys! What does a halo round the moon mean, if anything? My folks tell me a ring around the moon means snow.
    MPH I would have like a bit more of the church showing in no2.

A halo is caused by light refracted by ice particles in thin high level cloud like cirrus clouds.
    The light is refracted through 6 sided ice crystals which bend the light twice to form a halo of 22 degrees,or so my astronomy book tells me.

Nice shot Astroman..You have a nice wider view than mine,i've barely got all of it.Oh dear,does that mean its time for 10-20mm lens.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 09-Feb-09 at 19:26.

MPH,

Fascinating images.

Thank you MPH - looks cool wi the snow on the roof!

For anyone interested in learning a bit more about halos and other atmospheric optics have a look here....
    http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/common.htm and
    http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/circmoon.htm

MPH,
    I've previously tried photographing a halo with my digital compact, but with it being 38mm equivalent at its widest I had to take 4 images and stitch them together.
    It was much easier with my DSLR - I used an Olympus 14-42mm kit zoom, which works out at 28mm equivalent with the x2 factor for my DSLR. I'm delighted it fitted easily .