Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 179

Thread: Meeting up with the dead

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I'm surprised they never mentioned Freud because his first book was called Interpretaion of dreams and although it wasnt as scientifically researched as the modern day neuroscientists have done, some of it confirms a lot of freuds ideas.
    Crayolas dream could be interesting interpretaed from a Freudian viepoint.
    Can you give me a Freudian interpretation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Yes, I've had a similiar experience.

    What we've experienced is a very vivid dream about someone who has died who claims is caught between the here and thereafter. Enough to touch and smell, the whole works, very spooky.

    The human brain is a very powerful thing.
    I would understand it if my friend had passed away recently but she died almost 20 years ago.

    The other thing I didn't say was that her base was on Mars because it was a lot easier to hide there than on Earth.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Do you not have dreams that set you up for the day? I know it's crazy but I often have a good day after a good dram
    Yup, me too.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Yup, me too.
    Ha ha, you had me going for a second there. Stop putting words spirits in my mouth!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Can you give me a Freudian interpretation?

    I would understand it if my friend had passed away recently but she died almost 20 years ago.

    The other thing I didn't say was that her base was on Mars because it was a lot easier to hide there than on Earth.
    Freuds angle on dreams was that they were nothing more than wish fulfillment.I dunno if thats the case but I would be more inclined to let people find their own interpretation. The important thing is to embrace them as a living document of our inner world, and enjoy them.
    Your dream does have some classic Freudian characteristics though. The passage of time, The liaison officer, 8 feet tall, living in the underworld not even on this planet. How deep is that? Who's reaching out to who? Which one were you in the dream? Maybe both? It's intersting that your dream is set on a main road, presumably not far from some ruined buildings. Have you been to a museum recently or even seen some kind of historical document maybe in a window somewhere?. A fleeting glance? It could be as simple as that. Father standing by a gate waiting for you and you enter by a side gate? That would be very Freudian and rather than being coincidental from a freudian viewpoint would be the purpose of the dream and be very much associated with whatever inner struggles you as an individal have to endure. It's interesting that the experience seemed to help you in your waking life. Sometimes I find a dreams effects can linger negatively. Its like knowing theres some hidden meaning but because of the unreal structure of dreams it's difficult to interpret them. You can be sure there will be someone somewhere who will help you though. For a small fee of course.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    I thought the side gate was entirely coincidental because it was a small event that happened at the end of the dream. I visited this city for the first time in several years a few months ago so the building being a ruin was a big surprise to me and the only reason I could enter via the side gate was because an original wall had fallen down since then.

    I am intrigued by my friend being 8 feet tall because she wasn't tall in real life. I assumed 8 feet was the standard height for a liaison mage and that she appeared to be five feet something so as not to attract attention to herself as she walked down the street. She was with another woman who said nothing.

    The road was the main road into the city centre from the south, it was pedestrianised in the dream but it isn't in real life.

    I have negative dreams too.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I thought the role of my father was coincidental. What makes you think otherwise?

    I’m not convinced anything in dreams can be relegated to the coincidental or free from importance. The fact that your father figured in the dream probably indicates that he plays a significant role in your dream scenario.

    We weren't intending to visit ruined buildings, it was a total surprise to me that they were ruined. I didn't say in my original post that I had entered via a side gate and my father was waiting inside the main gate. Does that make any difference to you?

    I don’t think the fact that you weren’t intending to visit ‘ruined’ buildings, and that their being ruined surprised you, is as important as the fact that your unconscious brain presented them in your dream as in a state of ruin. They had changed and were not as you once knew them.

    In your OP you said you had to “dash off and catch up with your father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit.” You don’t say ‘in case he got lost’ and the word “before” sounds as though you almost expect him to get lost, and that there is some anxiety attached to that.

    In your reply you mention you found him waiting “inside the gate” (i.e. already inside the area of the ruins)….already starting to get lost? Gates are literally a division, or barrier even, between here and there, this side and that side. The "liaison mage" was "on the other side" too.

    Perhaps you and your father entering from different gates could be construed as you and your father ‘approaching’ some area of experience from different angles? The more and the less conventional?


    I haven't lived in that city for a long time, is that significant in your interpretation?

    Revisiting, reappraising past events? Dunno.

    I shall cease my doubtless incoherent ramblings forthwith !



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post


    I’m not convinced anything in dreams can be relegated to the coincidental or free from importance. The fact that your father figured in the dream probably indicates that he plays a significant role in your dream scenario.

    We weren't intending to visit ruined buildings, it was a total surprise to me that they were ruined. I didn't say in my original post that I had entered via a side gate and my father was waiting inside the main gate. Does that make any difference to you?

    I don’t think the fact that you weren’t intending to visit ‘ruined’ buildings, and that their being ruined surprised you, is as important as the fact that your unconscious brain presented them in your dream as in a state of ruin. They had changed and were not as you once knew them.

    In your OP you said you had to “dash off and catch up with your father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit.” You don’t say ‘in case he got lost’ and the word “before” sounds as though you almost expect him to get lost, and that there is some anxiety attached to that.

    In your reply you mention you found him waiting “inside the gate” (i.e. already inside the area of the ruins)….already starting to get lost? Gates are literally a division, or barrier even, between here and there, this side and that side. The "liaison mage" was "on the other side" too.

    Perhaps you and your father entering from different gates could be construed as you and your father ‘approaching’ some area of experience from different angles? The more and the less conventional?

    I haven't lived in that city for a long time, is that significant in your interpretation?

    Revisiting, reappraising past events? Dunno.


    I shall cease my doubtless incoherent ramblings forthwith !
    Please don't cease your 'ramblings', I'm enjoying them.

    It could be that the change in the state of the buildings were related to the change in my friend's situation, I hadn't thought of that. Nor had I thought about the significance of my father being on the other side of the gate. I didn't tell him about meeting my friend for a variety of reasons most of which I can't remember!

    I wouldn't put any stress on 'before he got lost' versus 'in case he got lost'. I almost wrote in 'case' and I should have done but I didn't.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    I met my friend again last night. My brakes failed as I was reversing at speed down Pennyland Drive. I lost control and swerved down Brims Road and crashed through the flag fence at the bottom. I skidded in deep mud as I crossed the field and ended up in the huge barn which adjoins the big church next to Pennyland Farm. I managed to crawl out of the car but wasn't sure if I was dead or alive. I spoke to some hooded faceless people in the barn before emerging into the doorway of the church. Have you ever been inside that church? It's huge inside, much bigger than it looks from the outside, with an ornate roof that's more redolent of high Anglican tastes than anything Presbyterian I've ever experienced. Anyway, my friend welcomed me into her world as I entered the church. We spoke for a few minutes but I told her I wasn't going any further and I ran like hell for the fire exit when she wasn't looking. To my great relief I broke through the door unscathed whereupon I emerged into bright sunlight on Castlegreen Road. The outside walls of the church were black but fading into transparency, the birds were singing and I was none the worse for my ideal. A lucky escape perhaps?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,303

    Default

    I'm sure if you pop into your nearest toy shop they may be able to sell you some new marbles.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    I forgot to mention that the flags that make up the wall on Victoria Walk were shining a brilliant iridescent white. It was as if they were lit up by angels of the Earth savouring the safe return of one of their own. My marbles were welcoming me home.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    governess
    Posts
    5,254

    Default

    Have you checked your calender Crayola? Are you sure you arent pregnant I have dreams like that right from the start of my pregnancies andits hormone related lol. Some are story dreams - I have been a fighter pilot, a detective, a vampire warrior princess and George Formby's sidekick ( dont ask!!!!) but some are about people and places i knew long ago. They are in GLORIOUS and VIBRANT colour ( except the george Formby one which was black and White but then i dont think i have ever seen George Formby in colour!!!!)

    i would have a quick look for that pink line if i was you!!!!!

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    I use bright pink pens so I have pink lines everywhere. Is this a sign?

    Could the Angels on Victoria Walk have been special? The Bible says.....

    The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'

    Eeeeek!

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    extreme north of Scotland
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    In my lifetime , apart from all the other dreams, I have had three very vivid dreams about newsworthy events, nothing to do with me, that actually happened a week or so later. It kinda freaked me out, too much to discuss them further.
    Also sometimes when I've been very worried about something, I've dreamed about a solution I had not thought of before. Wish that would happen more often! I frequently dream about dead people - but doesn't everyone?
    My scarey re-occurring dream is about driving the car up to a main road and suddenly finding out the brakes don't work!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    4,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squidge;
    Have you checked your calender Crayola? Are you sure you arent pregnant I have dreams like that right from the start of my pregnancies .........
    I often have vivid dreams squidge and the most spectacular wasn't related to pregnancy. In fact I had a vivid dream last night but I'm not pregnant (or at least I don't think I am - otherwise various questions could be asked in "the house" )

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola;
    I use bright pink pens so I have pink lines everywhere. Is this a sign?.....
    Could be crayola. Angels often give out mixed messages, coupled with the fact your hormones could be in a state of flux.

    Just to be on the safe side, I'll cast onto my knitting pins in lemon and white. Meantime, you be sure to look after your famous "pins" and get plenty of rest.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,303

    Default

    Meeting up with the dead

    Sometimes I think I work with them...they're brains give that impression anyway.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I met my friend again last night. My brakes failed as I was reversing at speed down Pennyland Drive. I lost control and swerved down Brims Road and crashed through the flag fence at the bottom. I skidded in deep mud as I crossed the field and ended up in the huge barn which adjoins the big church next to Pennyland Farm. I managed to crawl out of the car but wasn't sure if I was dead or alive. I spoke to some hooded faceless people in the barn before emerging into the doorway of the church. Have you ever been inside that church? It's huge inside, much bigger than it looks from the outside, with an ornate roof that's more redolent of high Anglican tastes than anything Presbyterian I've ever experienced. Anyway, my friend welcomed me into her world as I entered the church. We spoke for a few minutes but I told her I wasn't going any further and I ran like hell for the fire exit when she wasn't looking. To my great relief I broke through the door unscathed whereupon I emerged into bright sunlight on Castlegreen Road. The outside walls of the church were black but fading into transparency, the birds were singing and I was none the worse for my ideal. A lucky escape perhaps?
    Almost a year to the day I went back to the big church adjoining Pennyland Farm. An enormous chain gang of hooded faceless drones was demolishing it with giant scythes powered by lasers from the sunset over Hoy. They fired lasers at my heart and I felt the dull thud as the black beams hit my chest. But the beams didn't burn me and the mages cringed as they realised they had lost me. They tried some more but they failed again so they attacked the wall of the church in unison with renewed vigour. After five minutes of relentless onslaught the whole church vanished in a huge cloud of black smoke that was edged with fairy dust. It left no rubble and the sheep they'd killed when they built the church came back to life. They were unaware they'd been dead and gone for 400 years.
    Last edited by crayola; 24-Apr-10 at 15:37. Reason: 400 years, not 40!

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,694

    Default

    A lot of how people react to posts like this depends on their own experiences because you tend to disbelieve what you cannot see. As I have grown older I have come to accept that I do not know everything. This helps me in turn to accept that there are things I cannot explain. Some have happened to me, and some to others.

    I still remember the day my grandfather was frightened. It was his habit to get up at 4.00am and have a cup of coffee that was mostly condensed milk in the kitchen, with a cigarette - and that was his breakfast. I can still see him and smell the smoke now in my mind, 40 years after his death.

    When he had finished he would go out the back door and down the lonnings, one after another, walking about a mile and a half to work at the steel works for the morning shift. He preferred the lonnings but I do not know why.

    One day he was going back after a week's holiday and in the dark of the early morning he passed a man he knew coming the opposite way.
    'Good morning Don' he said as the bloke passed. The other man stopped, turned and said 'Good morning Jack' and went on his way.

    At work, during the talk over tea he mentioned he'd seen Don and that he must have changed shift - and every man went quiet.

    'Jack - Don dropped dead last Tuesday - you can't have seen him.'

    My grandfather never used the back lonnings again.

    Believe as you wish - I don't care one way or t'other.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    toronto canada
    Posts
    1,180

    Default spooked

    Great TV show DEAD LIKE ME.
    It's about Grim Reapers. (Soul gatherers)
    If it's available in the Benighted Kingdom give it a try.
    Richard Sutherland

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Great TV show DEAD LIKE ME.
    It's about Grim Reapers. (Soul gatherers)
    If it's available in the Benighted Kingdom give it a try.
    The figures demolishing Pennyland Church looked remarkably like this depiction of a reaper.



    It's rare that one sees reapers in such numbers in Thurso, I believe this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    This helps me in turn to accept that there are things I cannot explain.
    There are things many of us can't explain. Thanks for your story.

    I am so creative I could be an oneirologist's dream. I can create enough detail to write a novella in what can't be much more than a minute of REM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •