Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Hart Layby

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Cracking picture
    Did the place at Berridale with the windmill not breed white deer many years ago?
    Unicorn, you sparked a memory of travelling south with my parents and my mother always telling me to look for them (herd of white deer that is) so I just called her and she confirmed that it was real not a figment of my imagination

Thats how I remembered it my granny and uncle used to do the same thing
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

The animal in the delightful image is a Fallow doe, very probably an 'escapee' from the Langwell herd (introduced by the late Duke of Portland) that were bred as ornamental 'park deer' - unlike the wild Red, Roe and Sika that one may encounter in the straths and surrounding hill country.
    Pockets of Fallow exist in a number of areas across Scotland but the majority of wild (or at least feral) herds are to be found largely in England (e.g. the New Forest),
    The Langwell herd was subjected to selective breeding/culling so as to maintain their albino status for ornamental purposes - unlike the albino Red stag that was recently killed by poachers, the latter being an accident of nature.

Thanks for enlightening us, I was not imagining things then
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

nice pic, i was just about to ask was it one of the captive ones to be seen near there, next question was the other one with it a male (buck) or a female? as if it was a male then nature may take its course and we may have a population of fallow in the north

it ran off pretty quickly but it looked to be the same as the one I managed to get on camera, certainly no antlers on it

Thanks guys this explains the white deer we saw driving up last weekend! TY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12