Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over The Wall: Thurso and Wick

What better place to post about a song called Thurso V's Wick than the caithness forum ?

"It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I can't think of any obscure German speed metal, Grave Digger, Primal Fear, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Helloween, Rage, they may be obscure to you, but their individual album sales would argue that accusation
    Fair enough. I used to listen to Gamma Ray and Helloween (got the albums and T-shirts [dusters] to prove it) but then again, I did stop by the time I was 16.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Fair enough. I used to listen to Gamma Ray and Helloween (got the albums and T-shirts [dusters] to prove it) but then again, I did stop by the time I was 16.
    I'm surprised you waited till you were 16

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Pepsi, Metalattakk, i always sense a lot of tension between you both, were you former friends then one of you turned out to be a shirt lifter?

I have no 'real' problem with Metalattakk. He was a very talented footballer - one of the best, naturally talented there was in the county - and a decent stunt metal guitar player. I don’t know much about him other than that. Nor do I care. However, he does derive some kind of neurotic pleasure from his obsessive, Johnny-knows-better want to reply to over 50% of my posts, leading me to believe he is either, bored, jealous, bitter, or all three.

I love Caithness, that much is true. There are facets about the place and the people that deserve to be brought to a wider audience, and I’ve tried to do that over the years. Though that doesn’t mean to say the place is perfect, far from it.

Since contributing for newspapers I’ve written the following (for those who care) about the county:

The Breakdance era, which was so vibrant and positive during the 80s;

Written album reviews for Isaac Sutherland’s Sworded Tales album, two live reviews on the J. Fats Band, and a live review of Bosshogg;

Focused on the Nazi camp which resided in Watten: a piece of our history which captures the imagination of many, not just in Caithness, but those around the world with an interest in the Second World War. I also highlighted the author who penned a book about the camp (top stuff, Valerie);

Wrote at least two features on the county’s magnificent surf, one of which announced the arrival of the highland O’ Neill championship, which finally brought the county an international audience;

Profiled a local fantasy author - the brilliant James McVean - whose books are clearly inspired by the area he grew up around (keep up the good work, James);

Highlighted the Dunnet Head Lighthouse, and those who aim to bring the very best in guitar-led music to an area of the Scotland that is often deprived of such;

Wrote a positive piece on the county, as part of a tour diary column I wrote for a local Edinburgh paper last year;

Write several pieces on highlands-based acts and musicians for the hi-arts website. Go on, take a look if you wish;

And am currently awaiting publication of a piece documenting the many inscribed standing stones of Caithness.

Unfortunately, it’s only the negative things people wish to remember. And that’s fine. I can only assume Metalattakk is still upset over a piece I wrote about Dounreay, despite the fact it was written as seen through my eyes as a youngster. Even if he’s not, as I said earlier, he’ll (most likely) view the highlighting of my positive articles on the county as narcissistic before turning it around and stating it’s me obsessed with him. In any case, get off my back, please, Metal man, you are… heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Only one of us thinks that moving to the Big City makes one better and more important than one who stays in Caithness and cherishes his home town.
    And that, in what way, is different to someone who stays in Caithness and seems to think they are better than his fellow Caithnesians just because they have a huge vocabulary and an excellent understanding of English grammar?

I have no 'real' problem with Metalattakk. He was a very talented footballer - one of the best, naturally talented there was in the county - and a decent stunt metal guitar player. I don’t know much about him other than that. Nor do I care. However, he does derive some kind of neurotic pleasure from his obsessive, Johnny-knows-better want to reply to over 50% of my posts, leading me to believe he is either, bored, jealous, bitter, or all three.

I love Caithness, that much is true. There are facets about the place and the people that deserve to be brought to a wider audience, and I’ve tried to do that over the years. Though that doesn’t mean to say the place is perfect, far from it.

Since contributing for newspapers I’ve written the following (for those who care) about the county:

The Breakdance era, which was so vibrant and positive during the 80s;

Written album reviews for Isaac Sutherland’s Sworded Tales album, two live reviews on the J. Fats Band, and a live review of Bosshogg;

Focused on the Nazi camp which resided in Watten: a piece of our history which captures the imagination of many, not just in Caithness, but those around the world with an interest in the Second World War. I also highlighted the author who penned a book about the camp (top stuff, Valerie);

Wrote at least two features on the county’s magnificent surf, one of which announced the arrival of the highland O’ Neill championship, which finally brought the county an international audience;

Profiled a local fantasy author - the brilliant James McVean - whose books are clearly inspired by the area he grew up around (keep up the good work, James);

Highlighted the Dunnet Head Lighthouse, and those who aim to bring the very best in guitar-led music to an area of the Scotland that is often deprived of such;

Wrote a positive piece on the county, as part of a tour diary column I wrote for a local Edinburgh paper last year;

Write several pieces on highlands-based acts and musicians for the hi-arts website. Go on, take a look if you wish;

And am currently awaiting publication of a piece documenting the many inscribed standing stones of Caithness.

Unfortunately, it’s only the negative things people wish to remember. And that’s fine. I can only assume Metalattakk is still upset over a piece I wrote about Dounreay, despite the fact it was written as seen through my eyes as a youngster. Even if he’s not, as I said earlier, he’ll (most likely) view the highlighting of my positive articles on the county as narcissistic before turning it around and stating it’s me obsessed with him. In any case, get off my back, please, Metal man, you are… heavy.
    Well done, but can you put a fruit pastille in your mouth without chewing it?

Maybe, but I much prefer Starburst instead.

You mean Opal Fruits....they will always be Opal Fruits to me.

That says a lot...

I think we've got a love/hate relationship here.

So.............Who lifts the shirts?
    you dont look at the mantle when ur pokin the fire

LOL! Why are you so keen to find out?

I love Caithness, that much is true.
    And here, my 'friend', is the rub.

If you'd shown, here, the compassion and regard for your home county and its people that you claim to have done in other areas, then maybe our (and believe me there are more than me who are like-minded on this) opinions of your input to this message board would reflect your efforts.

If you rub people up the wrong way, don't expect anything less than some sparks. Did Van Der Graaf teach you nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    And here, my 'friend', is the rub.

If you'd shown, here, the compassion and regard for your home county and its people that you claim to have done in other areas, then maybe our (and believe me there are more than me who are like-minded on this) opinions of your input to this message board would reflect your efforts.

If you rub people up the wrong way, don't expect anything less than some sparks. Did Van Der Graaf teach you nothing?

Hmmm… How many threads have I posted in the Music section over the last year? About a dozen, perhaps, most of which are appreciative threads (Les Paul, Vince Guaraldi, Little Feat, Thurso’s music in the 80s and early 90s), genuinely debatable music issues reverberating around Form 696, or the questionable connection between black and Gaelic music. Or plain trying to help people: the competition to win a gig at a major music venue (the Edinburgh Picture House). Your contribution in the last year? I saw a thread announcing Jeff Healy’s death. Well done.

Rub people up the wrong way? This very thread is the fifth (I think, correct me if am wrong, and am sure you will) most read out of thirty threads on this very section. I would gather the reason so many people have viewed it adds considerable weight to the fact there’s a section of members (and lurkers) who welcome a thread commenting on fast-rising groups name-checking our county’s two main towns. Not everyone may have an opinion on it that they wish to post, but as the thread shows, people are reading about it.

Are people being forced to read what I write? Tied down, their eyes ripped wide-open so they can’t avoid it? Why suggest I change my writing habits - call them whatever you profess them to be - when instead you can change your reading ones? Isn’t your own habitual behaviour easier to control? Is my opinions and viewpoint such a bad thing that it must be ridiculed and bullied by yourself at every opportunity? Were you scared by an opinion as a child?

You clearly don’t like what I say, but I would reason that you’d be a lot more content it you learned to ignore it (there is an ignore button here, no?) because, sadly, all your posts that often immediately follow my own isn’t going to make it disappear. Therefore, I guess you’ll have to either live with it, or ignore it. The choice is yours, amigo.

Hmmm… How many threads have I posted in the Music section over the last year? About a dozen, perhaps, most of which are appreciative threads (Les Paul, Vince Guaraldi, Little Feat, Thurso’s music in the 80s and early 90s), genuinely debatable music issues reverberating around Form 696, or the questionable connection between black and Gaelic music. Or plain trying to help people: the competition to win a gig at a major music venue (the Edinburgh Picture House). Your contribution in the last year? I saw a thread announcing Jeff Healy’s death. Well done.
    Foolish mistake to assume that my critique only pertains to the music section of this particular forum.

Rub people up the wrong way? This very thread is the fifth (I think, correct me if am wrong, and am sure you will) most read out of thirty threads on this very section. I would gather the reason so many people have viewed it adds considerable weight to the fact there’s a section of members (and lurkers) who welcome a thread commenting on fast-rising groups name-checking our county’s two main towns. Not everyone may have an opinion on it that they wish to post, but as the thread shows, people are reading about it.
    But, it doesn't mean people GaF. Not in the slightest. It's entirely possible that they're only reading it to snigger at your posts. Who knows, eh chek?

You clearly don’t like what I say, but I would reason that you’d be a lot more content it you learned to ignore it (there is an ignore button here, no?) because, sadly, all your posts that often immediately follow my own isn’t going to make it disappear. Therefore, I guess you’ll have to either live with it, or ignore it. The choice is yours, amigo.
    For one that happily professes (according to yourself) to promoting the benefits of the Caithness lifestyle, I (and many many others) find your input to http://forum.caithness.org in general to be particularly negative, and that's something you have to either tackle, or body-swerve.

The question is, have you the cojones to front up?

Hmmm... of the last 400 threads on the main forum, I've posted four threads: one on the Gaelic Highland Writers Initiative (an appeal to gather interest on the langauge in the county), a BBC Documentary about Cannabis (one of the best and up-to-date I've ever seen), a thread about a very powerful camera lens (wooo, controversey), and one about Robert Louis Stevenson (Scotland's greatest writer in my opinion) during his time in Caithness (and a thread you happily[?] contributed for). Gee, I had no idea you were monitoring me so closely. I'm flattered.

If the "many many others" find my input so negative, that's up to them. I've rarely heard from them. On the contrary, I regularly receive good rep points from a lot of posters on here: as I said earlier, you probably need to change your habits, not mine. You do come across as a starving trout, sometimes.

As for sniggering at my posts? If readers don't like it, fine; at least they're being entertained.

And with that, I hope I to remain a constant burr under your saddle, so to speak. Thanks, as always, for your encouragment, am glad to be your hobby.

EDIT: Oh aye, and the Odd-Scotland thread, as well. Really wound people up, that one.
    Last edited by The Pepsi Challenge; 10-Feb-09 at 06:06.

Hmmm... of the last 400 threads on the main forum, I've posted four threads: </snip>
    "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." Mr Twain was far from wrong. Cherry-pick your 'finest' moments all you want, but there are enough intelligent folks on this board to see through the waspish veil.

(Gerrymandering on the Org? Who'd a' thunk it? )

While it's encouraging to see your recent efforts (by your statistics of course) rise above the usual long dismissive gaze down your nose, don't be surprised if some people hold your views off at arms length in the meantime. It's the bed you've made for yourself, 'ken.

Good grief. What a kerfuffle.

I dont know about the notion that pepsichallenge writes negatively about Caithness but clearly the gunslinger has a problem. I enjoyed the article about Fats and the lighthouse, didnt think it was negative in any way.

Im friends with you both and shouldnt get involved but hell, here we go eh!? How about turning it on it's head-if someone moves away from here to pursue a career that wouldnt otherwise be possible, they suddenly get bad pr because they've somehow rejected this golden land of the north to go to the 'pretentious poncey big city'.

Thats an unfortunate small-town attitude.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I quite liked that "thurso" song, even though its about the rubbishy side of the county!

and yes, i am a student, in edinburgh!

Slaggin off Thurso?????

Right THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!

OOTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it snowing in edinburgh? My mates driving down there.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast