Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over The Wall: Thurso and Wick

Default Over The Wall: Thurso and Wick

Bizarre. A Glasgow electro-pop duo singing about Thurso, and Thurso Vs Wick? You couldn't make it up. I caught this act the other night at the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh. Here's a review about the band (no' by me by-ra-way):

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/musi...iew.4957130.jp

Don't believe me? Hear for yourself here:

www.myspace.com/overthewall

What a load of crap, pretentious rubbish that thinks it's intelligent artsy and quirky, i can't stand these bands that sing with a local accent, this is music for poncy student types trying to be different, or journalists that hang out in wine bars.

As for Thurza V's Week?, pah!...no competition, c'mon lads, who's up for a scrap?, thur's some teena-bowlie coopins needin panned in

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    or journalists that hang out in wine bars.

You aint gonna stand for that are you Baz?????

It was bizarre right enough. Surely the Wick V Thurso schism deserves and anthem more along the lines of Emerald by Tin Lizzie.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    Surely the Wick V Thurso schism deserves and anthem more along the lines of Emerald by Tin Lizzie.
    Meh, best I could scrobble up.

Doon fae 'e glen came 'e merchan' men
    Wae thur shields an' thur swords
    Til fecht 'e fecht they believed til be recht
    Owerthrow 'e owerloards

Til 'e toon fur 'ere wis pleinty
    'Ey brocht plownder, swords and flame
    Fan 'ey left 'e toon wis empty
    Bairnags wid ne'er pley ag'in

Fae their graves ah heard 'e fallen
    Ower 'e battle cry
    By thon brig near 'e border
    There wis many mair til die

Then onward o'er 'e mountain
    An' ootward t'wards 'e sea
    They hid come til claim 'e emerald
    Wayoot it they couldna leave
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

What a load of crap, pretentious rubbish </snip>
    Spot on. Spotty shoe-gazing students who name their songs after towns they've never been to, and don't even refer to in their lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Bizarre. A Glasgow electro-pop duo singing about Thurso, and Thurso Vs Wick? You couldn't make it up.
    So Pepsi, we're supposed to GaF about this band because they mention Wick and Thurso in their song titles? To paraphrase your Embra wine-bar buddies: "Geez a brek, ken?"

Its no bad.Ive heard alot worse. There a bit "quirky" in an arty/student type way. But i do feel a Wick vs Thurso rap coming on!!!!
    Heres my "emerald rap"!!!

Down from the glen came the gangsta men
    With their uzi's and their swords
    to fight the fight their beaches said were right
    Overthrow the Thurso lords

To the town there was plenty (of ho's)
    They brought speed and crack cocaine
    When they left the town was empty
    Doggs would never play again (no diggity)

From their hood I heard the fallen (yo!)
    Above the pimps cry
    By the bridge near the corner
    There were many more to die

Then onward over the mountain
    And outward towards the sea
    They had come to claim their mixtape
    Without it they could not groove

What a load of crap, pretentious rubbish that thinks it's intelligent artsy and quirky, i can't stand these bands that sing with a local accent, this is music for poncy student types trying to be different, or journalists that hang out in wine bars.

As for Thurza V's Week?, pah!...no competition, c'mon lads, who's up for a scrap?, thur's some teena-bowlie coopins needin panned in
    I've no problem at all with your opinion on their music; however, I can assure you they are not students, nor was their audience (at the Voodoo Rooms at least), unless they were mature students over the age of 25.

I can also assure you, Gizmo, that the author of the piece hasn't, doesn't, nor ever will hang out in wine bars. I guess you'd have to know him to know that. Yer spot on with the rest, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Spot on. Spotty shoe-gazing students who name their songs after towns they've never been to, and don't even refer to in their lyrics.

So Pepsi, we're supposed to GaF about this band because they mention Wick and Thurso in their song titles? To paraphrase your Embra wine-bar buddies: "Geez a brek, ken?"

Only time I saw the band gaze at their shoes was to consult their set-list, stuck to the floor.

Not sure if they've ever been to Thurso before, or Wick, but one of them - when asked about their influences hinted at it in an interview:

"Lyrically I think there’s a bit of a theme around being uncomfortable about getting older, that early twenties crisis that everyone has, and there’s a fear of death behind that. That’s what ‘Thurso’ is about, among others."

I couldn't care less if you GaF or not. Furthermore, I neither go to wine bars, drink wine, or know anyone who speaks like you suggest. When's the last time you spent quality time in Edinburgh to know? Oh, that's right.

"Lyrically I think there’s a bit of a theme around being uncomfortable about getting older, that early twenties crisis that everyone has, and there’s a fear of death behind that. That’s what ‘Thurso’ is about, among others."
    And again, I ask the question: What relevance does this have to Thurso (or Wick) in particular? Sod all.

Furthermore, I neither go to wine bars, drink wine, or know anyone who speaks like you suggest.
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

It was posted for those who may be interested to know tunes, written by criticially lauded bands, are being written about their hometowns. Not everyone in here wants to read about obscure German speed metal groups, so I guess it wasn't posted with you in mind.

It was posted for those who may be interested to know tunes, written by criticially lauded bands, are being written about their hometowns.
    But they're not written about any town in Caithness at all. There is no relevance whatsoever. The songs just have Caithness town names in their titles.

Please, do try to keep up.

The writer of said tunes begs to differ. When I asked him if Thurso, and Thurso Vs Wick, were actually about these towns he said "yes". Whether we - the listeners - can detect/ prove it, is entirely dependent on your interpertation, or ignorance. Sup to you.

When thinking about the music under discussion, the word garbage springs to mind.

Cant see what all the fuss is about whether they come from Thurso or not. They are my friends on myspace so thats good enough for me!!!Their music is somewhat different from the norm and that can scare people who rely on pigeon-holing artists.

Not everyone in here wants to read about obscure German speed metal groups
    I can't think of any obscure German speed metal, Grave Digger, Primal Fear, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Helloween, Rage, they may be obscure to you, but their individual album sales would argue that accusation

Default Over The Wall: Thurso and Wick

I can't think of any obscure German speed metal, Grave Digger, Primal Fear, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Helloween, Rage, they may be obscure to you, but their individual album sales would argue that accusation

Sounds pretty garbage to me
    Give me Over the Wall any day to that rubbish !

Pepsi, Metalattakk, i always sense a lot of tension between you both, were you former friends then one of you turned out to be a shirt lifter?

Quote Originally Posted by mulac View Post
    Sounds pretty garbage to me
    Give me Over the Wall any day to that rubbish !
    Oh you are more than welcome to them, lets just see how long their career lasts, utter poo.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 09-Feb-09 at 13:30. Reason: brain fart speeling mishtook

Pepsi, Metalattakk, i always sense a lot of tension between you both, were you former friends then one of you turned out to be a shirt lifter?
    I can't speak for him, but no.

We were acquaintances way back, footballers together for a short time, contemporaries in musical terms some might even say. Friends? No, acquaintances at best.

Then one of us moved off south, became interminably dull and conceited and went on caithness.org only to slag off his former home county at every opportunity.

Only one of us thinks that moving to the Big City makes one better and more important than one who stays in Caithness and cherishes his home town.

I'll leave you (and others) to figure out which one that is...

The writer of said tunes begs to differ. When I asked him if Thurso, and Thurso Vs Wick, were actually about these towns he said "yes". Whether we - the listeners - can detect/ prove it, is entirely dependent on your interpertation, or ignorance. Sup to you.
    Fair enough, if you say so..

Sensors set to 'Ignore', in that case.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast