Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Might we have a film board?

Has anyone seen "I am Sam" starring Sean Penn? Wasn't too fussy about Penn in his early years, but he really puts in a sterling performance in this one.

Another one that is quite deep is "The Butcher Boy" It's funny, sad and shocking all rolled into one.

I watched "Kung Fu Hustle" last night (again), it is absolutely crazy.

Last night I fell asleep within the first few scenes of 'Hot Fuzz' in bed: £2.99 Sainsburys.

I shall resume within minutes - with a can of Morrison' Best Bitter (Economising) it's not a bad pint served cold.

I enjoyed Hot Fuzz! But i adore Simon Pegg and and Nick Frost!

I watched hot fuzz for about the 20th time last night. Have it on dvd but watched it on the sky movies channel!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I seriously recommend Dare mo shiranai/Nobody Knows (2004). Its an absolutely beautiful film but very sad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408664/

Quote Originally Posted by Garage Door View Post
    I seriously recommend Dare mo shiranai/Nobody Knows (2004). Its an absolutely beautiful film but very sad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408664/
    Great film. I saw it on TV somewhere about a year ago. Really felt for the kids.

Yeah. Most of my friends just thought it was boring but I think they must just be devoid of emotion! But I guess they did say recently that they wanted to see Bride Wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    Has anyone seen "I am Sam" starring Sean Penn? Wasn't too fussy about Penn in his early years, but he really puts in a sterling performance in this one.
    Tremendous movie with an utterly fantastic performance from Penn, he is one of the most talented actors hollywood has to offer, Casualties Of War, Dead Man Walking, Mystic River, 21 Grams, fantastic performances in all of those movies, and i challenge even the toughest of men not to be teary-eyed at 'I Am Sam'

I have found the perfect cure for insomnia...
    Hot Fuzz.

How I'm struggling to find much of merit in this. I shall persevere though, later today.
    I bought it against advice, but had a hunch. Having enjoyed 'Shaun of the Dead' so very much.

That fat, unappealing bloke Frost well....where would he be without his mate Pegg?

I actually thought "Hot Fuzz" was ok, but I didn't like "Shaun of the Dead". In fact I'm not too keen on Frost or Pegg at all. I attempted to watch "Run Fat Boy, Run" but just couldn't get into it.

Default Red Rock West...

...one you might have missed. Currently shown often on ITV 4. Kind of a road move with very little mileage. Nicholas Cage plays a man in 'u' turn mode who clearly likes his laundry - see him sniff a clean shirt like it were rose petals. Out there, in the gathering heat of a Wyoming morning his gammy leg and all. He's driving a big old Plymouth...or Buick..or summat.

He's newly discharged from t'U.S. Marine corps like and looking for work. First hurdle proves too tall and he's drifting on just five dollars worth of gas. His prospects look dismal....but this is Hollywood.

Soon he stumbles into a murder plot (only ordinary people are murdered whilst some posh or important beggars get themselves assassinated)

He's mistaken - due to out of state plates - for a professional hitman (Dennis Hopper) but goes along for the ride, and the readies!

I'll go no further...save to say this is worth watching. I bought an old VHS copy at a car boot several years ago and it lay undisturbed on a shelf for ages...watched it a couple of months ago then lo! and behold it's all over freeview.

As someone who has driven some of those Wyoming roads, and lingered in Laramie .... it struck a chord. But, if thaz never been west of Strathy Point you might still get a bit of a buzz from this film.

Saw "Red Rock West" a while ago. Nicholas Cage at his best, and Dennis Hopper, as usual, is the perfect "baddie".

It brings to mind another film called "El Mariachi". The only similarity really is the main character being mistaken for a hitman. What I liked about this film is what can be achieved with a low budget. It is in fact the first in the Mariachi Trilogy which includes "Desperado" and "One Upon a Time in Mexico".

You know Percy, I didn't realise I watched so many films.

Watched "Gran Torino" with clint Eastwood what a superb film 9/10.

Some of the racist comments from Eastwood were brilliantly delivered, especially the ones about his dog.

Highly recommended, but maybe not to everyones taste, because of the amount of racist comments.

Default hi

has anyone seen The curious case of benjamin button....

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ stars Brad Pitt as a man who is born 80 years old and ages backwards. The film takes us through Benjamin’s unusual life, from 1918 to the 21st century, and the extraordinary people and places he encounters, as he grows young.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.ROY'S DEATH BLADE RUNNER 1982

Great idea for a Film Board. Can we talk about Star Wars? lol

Which brings me onto another question. Where is it suitable to speak about TV shows/sitcoms that we all like.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

At the risk of looking like a big bairn I have to say the Bolt was one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time!
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by youoldduffer View Post
    Watched "Gran Torino" with clint Eastwood what a superb film 9/10.

Some of the racist comments from Eastwood were brilliantly delivered, especially the ones about his dog.

Highly recommended, but maybe not to everyones taste, because of the amount of racist comments.
    Oh Blimey! I'll just have to brace meself then.

Default Baftas

I enjoyed watching all of this - must b e my renewed interest in film...which is being hleped along by the progression of this thread.

Glad to see 'our' Kate win again and this time she was far more dignified in acceptance.

Mickey Rourke look the part of a washed up , haggard auld wrestler- I could have read for it myself but I'm like Morecambe Bay & don't have the muscles anymore. (don't mention cockles)

Slumdog Millionaire deserved its success - watched it at the cinema recently and think everyone should have a look at it on the big screen. (But...It's not a feelgood fillem)

As for Ben Button it's on our list to see but it looks awfully long. Mrs.T is very keen on the imagery of Brad Pitt astride an old down at heel Indian motor-cycle as am I. For me though its' the sheer beauty of the bike - for her it's bike and rider. She's partial to Pitt. Is any woman not?

Two more discs arrived from Amazon today - Valley of Elah and Kalifornia...to embellish us holiday evenings in front of the wood burner.
    We're sorted now but if anyone knows vague directions to the multi-plex in Dundee I'd appreciate a shout. There's a cinema at St.Andrews but info seems harder to glean.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    Great idea for a Film Board. Can we talk about Star Wars? lol

Which brings me onto another question. Where is it suitable to speak about TV shows/sitcoms that we all like.
    I like star wars!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Nothing wrong with the first 3 starwars films or is it the last three lol. Didnt think much of the prequel's found the acting a bit wooden and jar jar bink's ohhh god he was annoying.

Anyone seen "Rise of the lycan's"??? I'm off to glasgow this weekend and want to see this film.

On a slightly off topic anyone been to that alienwars http://www.alienwars.com/ as again plan going to it too, though i can imagine you will hear my screams in caithness.
    Last edited by youoldduffer; 10-Feb-09 at 01:19.

Default Benjamin Button

Well worth seeing. There were only seven other people in the theatre in Dundee on thursday afternoon but three hours went by quite quickly.

A film to be admired - and seen on the larger screen perhaps. It's ambitious and the CGI & Make-up effects of the ageing Pitt and Blanchett are remarkable. I was also amazed they managed to make Pitt look like a twenty year old.

A fairy tale of course, but no less interesting for that. There are some good moral messages and some useful tips in the narrative. It's a 12A cert which is about right.

If you're planning on seeing it I'd not try to dissuade you.Well worth four quid and will buy the dvd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast