Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fundraising.

Quote Originally Posted by froal View Post
    I take it she doesn't have insurance for her dog !
    I've had some pretty big bills from the vets and if you don't have the money they will let you pay it off i find !
    I've had pretty big bills as well, and the vets have been happy to have it paid off in regular amounts.....but I'd hazard a guess that Dragonfly is looking at a few thousand more than the few hundred it takes to spay a bitch or mend a broken leg (both of which I have paid up in my time).

After all, an op to correct hip dysplasia in a retriever costs £5000+ (a quote received).

Please keep pet items within the pets section.

Fund raising on the web site for individual pets cannot be allowed. Discussions on how to raise funds are OK. Fuindraising is usually allowed for registered charities and those donating to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post

Fund raising on the web site for individual pets cannot be allowed. Discussions on how to raise funds are OK. Fuindraising is usually allowed for registered charities and those donating to them.
    Can't see why not, please explain.

We're all friends on here...and I'm sure that a lot of us have helped friends out in an emergency on or offline. I know I have.

I can't see there being hundreds of members in a position to have to pay thousands of pounds for pet ops.......and I didn't notice dragonfly asking anyone to do/give anything to help her with her bill.

So we do it by PM/email, folks, so as not to make it look as if caithness.org has a heart. Let me know what has been decided.

Why not get as many orgers as you can to donate something new for prizes and have a prize bingo which i will do for you free in the Francis Street Club? You can raise around £800 or more with a prize bingo if your prizes are good, eg microwave, quilt, pillow, saucepans, cutlery, tea set, dinner set, curling tongs etc etc. There are some good bargains at argos, tesco etc. im sure everyone would buy a prize to donate.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

binbob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by froal View Post
    I take it she doesn't have insurance for her dog !
    I've had some pretty big bills from the vets and if you don't have the money they will let you pay it off i find !

if u read the posts on brodie fully...u will see that indeed ,dragonfly did have ins,....please read and take scorpion with u.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post

This wasnt just a pet item Bill,it was a general question about experience and thoughts on fundraising .
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Before i became a memeber i used to frequently read the pets corner and came accross a few stories where you all clubed together and raised money for various things such as the Penny fund, i thought it was great how caring and giving you all were. I think it is a great idea to raise money for poor Brodie. Fran that is a great idea about prize bingo i have been to many and they are always packed and would raise a fair amount of money.

When Dragonfly touches base I'm sure we'll all be able to sort something out,be it a donation of time,money or a gift.

If anyone takes offence about trying to help a fellow "pet orger" then tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    A dog walk would be great I think, lots can get involved. And you could create a JustGiving page so people could sponser you online. Best of luck.

Maybe a bring and buy? Cake sale?
    Setting up a Justgiving page would be a good idea - then it is up to the individuals if they want to make a donation. I'm sure there are a few people here who would be quite happy to donate. These pages are quite easy and quick to set up. Just let everyone know where your page is, and I'm sure you would get donations that way, as well as sponsors if you decide to do a sponsored event.

Prize Bingo is another good idea, if you can get people to donate the prizes - that's always the difficult part!

Car boot sales - if you hold a car boot sale, you could charge £5 for each table, as well as having your own table to see items from. That way, you are making money in 2 different ways at the same time. Have a picture of Brodie on your table, so people know what it is all about.

Maybe you could get some kids involved, as they always like to take part in sponsored events - something like a sponsored read/spell or other activity. Maybe one of the local kids groups would like to help, like Scouts, Brownies, etc. It's always worth a try. Kids love animals and taking part in events, so I'm sure there would be some interest.

hmmm, well i dont see why we couldnt start a charity to help people in sit. like brodie and reg. it. that way it would be a reg. charity, we could help brodie and in future other pets in simular situations.
    at the end of the day, whatever is decided ill help!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    hmmm, well i dont see why we couldnt start a charity to help people in sit. like brodie and reg. it. that way it would be a reg. charity, we could help brodie and in future other pets in simular situations.
    at the end of the day, whatever is decided ill help!
    Like the PDSA?,except it would cover caithness@sutherland.

Its a good idea Brandy.

well I don't know where to start...we are only getting access when able to find an internet pc so to log on and see this is really touching - thank you all who have been so supportive.

To set the record straight for Scorpion and Froal, I do have pet insurance but MoreTh>n are refusing to pay out for Brodies treatment. His condition if you have not taken the time to read other threads about him is called a PORTOSYSTEMIC SHUNT (look it up on google - plenty of reference there) and is life threatening and without treatment he will die from agonising seizures within a very short time (he has only just turned 6 months old) - thankfully the vets in Thurso have saved him from near death once and we were then referred to the Royal Dick Small Animal Hospital in Edinburgh where he will have the best people in this field trying to save him. Unfortunately his shunt is internal to his liver and will require more extensive surgery which he has been booked in for in March. We have so far paid out around about £1000 to date and the operation in march will be no less than £5000, depending on how complicated the operation is and how much blood is required during the operation - did anyone know that 1 pint of blood for a dog bought from a blood bank costs in the region of £200??? a lot of money for such a simple product - I will certainly be looking at my other dogs becoming blood donors in the future.

At no time have I asked for any financial help towards Brodies operation. I posted an update for those who are concerned about Brodie advising that it was a more complicated op required and therefore more costly and tongue in cheek asked for fundraising ideas - I had no idea that the great people on the Org would take this to their hearts as they have done.

Now to set you straight, we are in the postion to pay for Brodies op ourselves through pooling all our savings, sacrificing some of our plans and selling some of our possessions which we will gladly do to help our puppy have a chance at a normal healthy lifespan, however if people wish to help us we are willing to listen to ideas to see if viable without us taking advantage as we are aware that people have money problems of their own at this time.

All me and my family want is for our gorgeous, loving puppy to have a chance of pulling through this and I would gladly sell my soul if that were the price we had to pay.

We will be coming home tomorrow with Brodie, who is slowly recovering from his investigatory op on Wednesday and once home will sit down and see what is the best way forward taking on board all the comments and offers of support

Again, thank you so much to those who are so concerned about Brodie

xxx

Dragonfly thank you for keeping us informed.

People here on the pet forum are the kindest souls I've ever come across and its with this in mind that we all automatically feel for you just now.
    I'm so glad you've decided to just go for it and have sufficient funds to pay for it yourselves.

When I had to say goodbye to my best friend last summer my heart was fit to break.We had 12 good years together but saying ta,ta was so hard.

You and the rest of the pet forum kept me sane.

Dragonfly, we know that you have never asked for financial help and it just shows how much you love Brodie that you are willing to make sacrifices to pay for his treatment.

You were responsible enough to take out Pet Insurance and it isn't your fault that they won't pay out!

So please let us help in any way we can to at least reduce the financial burden you are under.

I find that Pets Corner is a real haven on the org (well until a few idiots stray in but they are soon sent on their way!)where we have a community of animal lovers who offer help and support.

You were all so kind to me when I lost Rusty and Tiggy and during the early days of Charly's heart problem. It is so good to know there are others who know how much you are hurting at times like these.

I better go or I'll end up like Kate Winslet!

So just to sum up Dragonfly we are all here for you and it would make us so happy to see Brodie have his op and live a full and happy life.
    You can't put a price on that can you?!!!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Default Fundraising

For what it's worth......fundraising for such issues is usually fraught with danger and arguements, and then who is going to decide on who gets what. There are enough arguements on here as it is. I can assure you that everyone is quite different on their thoughts towards animals.
    Perhaps one should understand that there is a difference between a child and an animal. I have had dogs and cats and a horse, and I definitely do not equate them to my daughters. In most cases these things do not turn out well. I have seem them go to...........that bad place
    Just take the numerous examples of people collecting for Cancer etc. etc. and it was all a scam. And I am not saying that this is..... but as they say 'buyer beware'.
    I think if a person wants to donate, then by all means do so. Just do it as a personal gift not get in a bloody big row on a chat forum, and call Scorpion mean spirited. For goodness sake surely we can all have an opinion without getting slagged. And it's not as if we are all in Caithness to assist.
    Just re-read Dragonfly's last post and she indicates that she is willing to pay, albeit it may be a hardship but a dog is a luxury, and some of us just cannot afford to have even one. At the present time I am sure that many people have hardships! Personal ones at that.
    So for those that are keen to donate please do so quietly and with the goodness in your heart making the decision, not shouting out to everyone that you are helping.

Sandyr.....you raise some very valid points re fundraising and the trouble it can lead to.......I am sure you have meant well in forewarning that we could find ourselves in that sorrowful position also................However, let me put your troubled mind at rest and assure you it will not happen.
    We are all fully paid up members of the human race, who have after much thought and deliberation have decided to help Brodie have the best possible chance....to live.

Perhaps Pets Corner is not for you, maybe you are uncomfortable and do not wish to share our feelings, hopes and intentions and therefore have come across in a negative way. If I have picked you up wrongly I apologize, though emotionally supportive words perhaps are what is needed at this time.............

Very well said Teenybash and totally agree with you.

Sandyr I do not see anyone 'shouting' that they are helping? Why are some people having such a problem and negativity about a group of like minded people wanting to help a poor dog who needs a lifesaving op and their owner, through no fault of their own, who is faced with a crippling vets bill?

I honestly cannot see there will be any problems and truly hope that lots of money will be raised.

Well done to all of you, and especially to Teenybash who on post 5 says ..go ahead--the vet will be paid. That is quite a committment.
    I thought we could all have our opinions and as I have been involved in these 'things', and where volunteers are involved and money/ goods are given, and the coordination of same required....good luck. It is not an easy task as everyone has their own ideas.
    But comments like my 'troubled mind', and this section is for only certain people, uncomfortable etc..oh... and negativity.... is really quite childish.
    p.s. Would like to find out in the end how it all went..

Sandyr you are completely right in what you say re fundraising etc and you raise some valid points which are welcomed.

Brandy suggested setting up a charity but there are so many rules and regulations now that this is a complicated procedure.

I would like to think of this more as a group of like minded people who have become friends,helping another friend in their hour of need.

By the way Teenybash is one of the most caring people you could meet and not at all childish.

binbob Guest

if every member on the org .donated £1.00...that would help...and no one is going to miss that,surely??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast