Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: snowdrops

Default snowdrops

Smile

Spring has arrived at last!
    Did you take this pic locally? The only snowdrops I've seen so far this year were in Inverness. Mine are only about an inch tall.

In the Garden, been in bloom for 2/3 weeks

Mine too are in bloom.

Unlike other bulbs, snowdrops are best transplanted "in the green". In other words, as soon as the flowers fade, dig them up, separate them, and plant them elsewhere.

Don't ever buy dry snowdrop bulbs. It doesn't work.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Mine are out too and covered in snow so maybe that is why I think of them as a winter flower.

I accidentally sent the last message before I was finished. I was going to say that all the snowdrops in my garden were planted as dry bulbs 23 years ago. You have to be patient as for the first year or two all you will get is tiny leaves and I think that many of them get pulled out with the weeds in the spring. Once they are established they multiply like mad and can be lifted and replanted in bunches.

They have appeared here too, about a week ago. It's been so windy though and snowy I've not had a chance to take pics yet, will do though!
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

I obviously have snowdrops of the wimp variety. They must be waiting for the snow to go away. I can't remember when they appeared last year, but they were definitely worth waiting for.