Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: porridge / porage

Default porridge / porage

Why the hell do scotts PORRIDGE OATS have PORAGE on the box ?????
    Surely it is wrong - now I`ve got my self angry and need a red wine to calm the voices in my head!
    Grantyg / guwantigee

So the writing doesn't go round the side of the box, silly!

Ten out of ten for spotting it though. I'd never noticed it!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

From: http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/brad...ews/jim17.html

"Mr Baren also answers an old question over the spelling of ‘porridge’. If you buy Scott’s oats the packet tells you you are eating ‘porage’. This is a word made up by A & R Scott in Glasgow when they launched Scott’s Porage Oats in 1914, and combined the old Scots word poray with the French word potage."

Yes but no but I think that is them trying posh up the excuse that some muppet mis spelt it years back and it has stuck or it didn`t fit!
    Still I`ve had my wine and have calmed down.
    Grantyg
    sponsered by Ernest &JUlio Gallo Wine not VYNE because that combines the vine and wine and has a y for good measure - no seriously thanks for the real answer!

Perhaps if it was made up from those two words, they did so to give it a Scottish traditional feel. I've emailed Scott's parent company to ask them the reason for the spelling. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    Perhaps if it was made up from those two words, they did so to give it a Scottish traditional feel. I've emailed Scott's parent company to ask them the reason for the spelling. :-)
    Your some guy!
    wow made my day! porridge porage was driving me nuts!

Don't see what the fuss is about. Reading most posts on the messageboard would show terrible examples of spelling! Porridge/porage?? Who cares?? Everyone knows what it is.

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Quote Originally Posted by grantyg
    Surely it is wrong - now I`ve got my self angry and need a red wine to calm the voices in my head!
    Grantyg / guwantigee
    I think we've got two seperate problems here. The spelling and the voices in your head. The spelling part Geo is dealing with. The voices in your head will not be quelled by red wine. Try some good old porage with a dram o' whiskie.......works fer me.......
    You get what you give

I had South African porridge last night.......very nice it was as well.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

I've been searching a bit more via Google, (yes I should get out more!)

Anyway I found the following which might indicate porage is as good a spelling as any:

"note the forms the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) lists:

porage
    porradge
    porredge
    porridge
    porrage
    parridge
    parritch

And, sense this word is an altered form of pottage, poddish, those should be considered also.
    Here are some "porage" citations from OED.

c1532 G. Du Wes Introd. Fr. in Palsgr. 1070 Ye have alredy eaten your porage.
    1550 Lever Serm. (Arb.) 122 Hauyng a fewe porage made of the brothe of the same byefe, wyth salte and otemell.
    1573 Tindale's Obed. Chr. Man Wks. 166 If the porage [1528 podech] be burned .. or the meate ouer rosted, we say The bishop hath put his foote in the potte."

So it looks like it may just be an historical variation in in spelling.
    Last edited by Geo; 09-Feb-06 at 13:04.

They call it "porage" oats because it doesn't deserve to be called porridge. It's rolled instead of ground (farm people in Caithness would call that "bruised corn", and feed it to coos). And it's partially pre-cooked (toasted) so it cooks really quickly. This is, like most things in a packet, adding convenience at the expense of taste. Some of us around here are old enough to remember when the Achingale mill in Watten was still running, and the shop sold the oatmeal by the pound in a paper bag. Now THAT made porridge, retaining that wonderful nutty flavour of the oats. Does anyone know if the mill near Groats is still running?

[parritch]

Wow! that brings back memories. My granny (from Fyfe) used to say parritch - well , it sounded like that anyway!! Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by grantyg
    Grantyg / guwantigee
    Give up and get a curry they have all kinds of spellings