Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: B&w

I do too MPH - bright and moody at the same time!

2. Default

Thanks Wicker05,Wifie,its difficult for me to judge if its good or bad especially when you see Ravens beautiful b&w above it,after the Lord Mayor's show springs to mind.

Default Achavanich stone circle

Achavanich stones with Morven in background. The stone outline matches the outline of the hills. Pity about the electricty wires stretching across the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Thanks Wicker05,Wifie,its difficult for me to judge if its good or bad especially when you see Ravens beautiful b&w above it,after the Lord Mayor's show springs to mind.
    Ah but different style MPH!

Great photos everyone.

Congratulations on your latest awards Raven, the images are stunning.
    Away with the birds

Nice pics everyone!

Good luck to average and eddiston with their entries this month!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Welcome with the B&W brigade Mr Psyber! I can somehow distantly recall when you called this "retarded"??? You have gone downhill!!

Here is another of my b&w favourites... shot a couple years ago, won me one of my first gold awards with the SWPP back in 2007

Raven, is that the same building which won an award for some dude in the 16x20 print class at the convention? Is he another caithnesian?
    I prefer yours.

I got a silver for january for the print shown previously, in the landscape catagory. How did you get on? ( i know not all catagories have been marked yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Average View Post
    Raven, is that the same building which won an award for some dude in the 16x20 print class at the convention? Is he another caithnesian?
    I prefer yours.
    Yep, this is the same building, its the old hotel at John o` Groats. I got the merit (now gold) award in the architectural section in March 2007 for this shot.
    His shot was entered in the monthly competition sometime last year

Congrats on your S in Landscpae!

I got the merit (now gold) award in the architectural section in March 2007 for this shot.

I think that is a bit unfair..... considering it's one of the most photographed buildings in Caithness. I have 35mm slides of the exact same view taken back in 1998! Although it wasn't quite as run down back then
    For the record Angus won his award in the actual 20x16 print competition, not the monthly one. This is a really tricky one to do well in as the judges are looking for much more i.e. print quality, presentation etc etc and will get up and have their noses inches from the print. It was a beautiful print I have to say. I think he deserves a lot of credit for his first ever entry and in his first year of business, and I have to tell you, he actually had 2nd and 3rd place in that category as well!!

J

10. Default

Yep, this is the same building, its the old hotel at John o` Groats. I got the merit (now gold) award in the architectural section in March 2007 for this shot.

Congrats on your S in Landscpae!
    Dont think there was any need for the "i photographed it first " bit.Perhaps a simple yes it is in reply to your mate Average's question would have done, maybe followed by a well done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Baikie View Post
    I think that is a bit unfair..... considering it's one of the most photographed buildings in Caithness. I have 35mm slides of the exact same view taken back in 1998! Although it wasn't quite as run down back then
    For the record Angus won his award in the actual 20x16 print competition, not the monthly one. This is a really tricky one to do well in as the judges are looking for much more i.e. print quality, presentation etc etc and will get up and have their noses inches from the print. It was a beautiful print I have to say. I think he deserves a lot of credit for his first ever entry and in his first year of business, and I have to tell you, he actually had 2nd and 3rd place in that category as well!!

J
    You are absolutely right, I bet the JoG hotel slumbers in the portfolios of many thousands of tourists. There is nothing that has not been done in one form or another.
    I am sure that he must be immensly proud of himself to do so well. Unfortunately he does not seem to be a member of the ORG, otherwise he could post his other images here in the photographic section. I bet that many would like to see them.

You are absolutely right, I bet the JoG hotel slumbers in the portfolios of many thousands of tourists. There is nothing that has not been done in one form or another.
    I am sure that he must be immensly proud of himself to do so well. Unfortunately he does not seem to be a member of the ORG, otherwise he could post his other images here in the photographic section. I bet that many would like to see them.
    I am a member and never post images on here

Just out of curiosity - Why is that John?

Personally I have found it very beneficial to my development as a photographer, tho I do tend to post in other more 'technically orientated' forums for constructive critique and criticism.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Just out of curiosity - Why is that John?

Personally I have found it very beneficial to my development as a photographer, tho I do tend to post in other more 'technically orientated' forums for constructive critique and criticism.
    2 reasons:

1: From what I've seen people post a picture looking for compliments, but instead some folk spend 3 hours in photoshop trying to create something better, post it and hijack the post, awaiting "oooh yours is so much better than theirs". That is a fact.

2: I shoot weddings and portraiture. There's not much call for it on here really. I get plenty critiques on those throughout the year from some folk with much more ability and experience than me.

I'm always happy to advise and support others in any way I can, and always have a look here to see what folk are doing - usually weel impressed with the standard on show. Just never see the point in me posting my own work. Maybe one day...

J

Thumbs down

Then why are you here sniping at people who do? It seems to be a regular occurence when you visit the photo thread.
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese

Quote Originally Posted by psyberyeti View Post
    Then why are you here sniping at people who do? It seems to be a regular occurence when you visit the photo thread.
    Sniping???? I stuck up for another photographer who was the victim of a rather low blow. Judging by the PM's I got, I wasn't the only one who thought it was totally out of order.

Last time I was on here the same thing - defending someones work.

Never ever have I criticised or sniped at another members work so that was a stupid post.

If you want to see my work go look at my website, I have no need to post it here.

Thumbs down

There was no such thing. I think what you is called 'flaming' - going onto web sites that you have no real interest in and try to provoke arguments. You have done it before. I have no idea who you are so why would I go and look at your website?

Sniping???? I stuck up for another photographer who was the victim of a rather low blow. Judging by the PM's I got, I wasn't the only one who thought it was totally out of order.

Last time I was on here the same thing - defending someones work.

Never ever have I criticised or sniped at another members work so that was a stupid post.

If you want to see my work go look at my website, I have no need to post it here.
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese

There was no such thing. I think what you is called 'flaming' - going onto web sites that you have no real interest in and try to provoke arguments. You have done it before. I have no idea who you are so why would I go and look at your website?
    I have a considerable interest in the photography forum. And I'd like some examples of this 'flaming' please. I have defended a colleague, who, instead of being congratulated on a huge award was being 'sniped' at for not being the first to take the image in question.

I suggested you look at my website as that is where I post my work. You suggested that I shouldn't be commenting on photography if I don't post inages here. And the "I've never heard of you before" bit seems a bit odd, considering you have such a vivid memory of my previous posts on the forum. Heard it all before.

Now, what should be happening on this post is people saying congratulations to the guy for taking another major award to Caithness.

19. Default

Sorry Psyberyeti but exactly where was John's sniping in this thread?
    All he did was stick up for someone who had had a dig delivered his way implying that he was not the first to win an award with that particular hotel photo.At no time did i see any negative comments or snide remarks from John towards anyone elses photography.

As for trying to provoke an arguement,i think you should maybe look at what or who's comment/s caused this arguement in the first place.

If Average and Raven had conducted their mutual appreciation of each others work under P.M then the susequent "is that the same building which won an award for some dude" and " i prefer yours" bit followed by the who took the photo first comment, would have remained private.
    This is after all an open forum and if certain types of comments are made then certain replies will ensue.
    Oh yes, Congratulations Angus.

At the risk of starting another argument, I think it's time this thread returned to photography!

So, inspired by the many photographs of the John O'Groats Hotel, my own humble offering!

http://flickr.com/photos/north_light/3259351051/

I would also like to pass on my congratulations to all the Caithness Photographers who were successful in the SWPP Awards, it's a testament to the high quality of photography in Caithness.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast