Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Technical Question Re: Active Monitors

Default Technical Question Re: Active Monitors

Lookin for a wee bit of advice.

I have got my hands on 3 active speakers from Thomann (The Box 108A, 110A & MA120MKII). These all have options for Line or Mic inputs.

I intend to use them as monitors at gigs, running acoustic guitars, Bass Guitar, vocals and an electric drumkit through a small mixing desk and then onto the monitors.

Whilst playing about with them tonight I noticed that the 'Mic' setting is much much louder than using the 'Line in' setting. Why is this?

At the moment I have them set for 'Line in' as everything is coming from a mixer. Is it safe, for my equipment, to set the monitors to Mic?

If anyone could answer this and expand on any comments I would be much obliged.

Cheers,

Richard

If you leave them on mic then they will be louder but, at high levels it will overdrive the input preamp on the monitor and probably it.

the line input is indeed the one you should be using, the loudest it will go when plugged into this input is the loudest the monitor will be designed to go.

simples . . .

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

Ah - another convert to Thomann.....

What Kev is saying is correct. Imagine the mic/line switch as the 110/240v switch on the back of your PC, apart from mics give out 100mV and line gives out 775mV.

Imagine what would happen to your PC if you switched the switch to 110, and kept your UK mains supply going into it......... you'll get an interesting bang, a nice puff of smoke, but your PC won't be much use no more.

Let me know how you get on with youe BOX speakers as I'm looking to get some myself

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Sounds View Post
    Let me know how you get on with youe BOX speakers as I'm looking to get some myself
    Cheers for the advice Kev & Graham, you both confirmed my suspicions about what would happen had I used the Mic inputs.

I've had the PA108A & PA110A for about 6 months, used them in the bedroom and at live gigs as monitors with no probs at all. Small annoyance is despite the fact that the 108 is obviously smaller & lighter, its more of a pain to carry as theres no carry handle, unlike the 110A which does have a handle.

I've not had a chance to give the MA120MKII a proper test drive yet but if theres any major issue I will update this.

Deemac has the same brand of monitors, hopefully he will be able to provide a more techy review than I would be able to.

moncur, didn't 'we' help you build a speaker cabinet about a year ago. How is it doing?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    moncur, didn't 'we' help you build a speaker cabinet about a year ago. How is it doing?
    Its doing grand thanks very much. I've used it at loud volume twice I think (It moves across the floor like an old washing machine when played very loud!). I used it at a couple of acoustic gigs along with a Crate 150w powerblock and I currently have it sitting at the side of my couch with the telecaster for when I want to churn a couple of chords oot o me when Im watching TV.