Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Does anyone not hate Phil Collins?

Default Does anyone not hate Phil Collins?

The man is a genius and should be held in esteem by everyone. Genesis are great, he's got a fantastic voice, he blazed a trail for a new type of drum sound in the 80's and he's written some of the greatest easylistening/pop ever and his wife probably deserved to be dumped via fax.

Cazart!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

uhmmmmm NO.

Hate is a very strong emotion for PC. I'm not a genesis fan by any means & what I've heard & thought reasonable turned out to be Chester Thomson & not PC. I can't stand his voice & to me the 80s PC sound is the absolute antichrist of tub sounds.

HOWEVER if one looks to Brand X & an album done by session musos in the 70s called Wilding & Bonus (Pleasure Signals??? is the album I think) then PC is awesome. It just seems that instead of progressing the guy just seems to get worse.

sorry Buddy, you did ask. I have utilised the PC method of leaving snares around the room with the snares on to give that uber rattle sound in recordings.....didn't like it.

I don't hate the dude, just don't like him much.

He certainly gave a good account of himself in the recent Prog programmes as recently discovered on BBC iPlayer.

Phil Collins Is Gabriel

I find that most folk I speak to about Phillip tend to like him, unfortunately Im not one of them. I loathe the guys music & turn it or him off every time hes on tv or radio .
    I have noticed though that in recent times , many are starting to turn on him but I would hate for him to croak it as there wid be endless tribute shows to him & there wid be no escape- a bit like when Freddie Mercury died.
    A great performer was Mr Mercury but I wont say the same for P.C
    Cmey e Scorries

5. Default

I don't particularly like Phil Collins as a person, but I love Genesis, and I think that the first two albums they did after Gabriel left (A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering) are the band's best.

I wasn't a fan of the Brand X stuff or the poppy Genesis stuff, but then again, one man's rubbish is another's treasure!

Lyle

He's truly the Emperor of bland.
    Genesis without Gabriel - never the same.

You shouldnt have told me that Dave. Im going to suggest covering Easy Lover at our next rehearsal.

Phil certainly polarises opinion. Maybe he is indeed too bland for some to inspire either hate or love. I like both versions of Genesis. The prog series of shows on the beeb that pepsichallenge mentioned included the documentary on their comeback tour which was really good.

And who will disagree with me that Buster is the greatest movie to have been produced in 100 years of motion pictures?
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

'Wind and Wuthering' was the "first" album I really got into and bought. (My Aunt introduced me to Genesis at the tender age of 12 or 13!!)

Genesis were also the first band I ever saw live. (At the 'Apollo Theatre' in Glasgow in 1980 - I was 15 at the time. It was the ‘Duke Tour’ – a truly terrible album and period for Genesis!! – I was awe struck by the whole show and experience tho).

I never really dissected Genesis as a group into the member personalities back then and just liked the whole band sound and vibe, especially the double drum parts on the live album ‘Seconds Out’ (my favourite Genesis album – recorded in 1977). This also got me started with music, and I can to this day still remember ‘Air’ drumming in my bedroom all the way through ‘Seconds out’ till I eventually got my first (second hand) drum kit when I was aged 15. (I sold my model railway to help pay for it!!).

As for Mr. Collins, I never really extracted him out of Genesis as a separate entity until he started his solo ‘pop’ career. This was not to my musical taste, though I was very impressed by the drum intro to ‘In the air tonight’ the first few times I heard it at a school disco or youth club dance. (Cadbury’s use it to sell chocolate now!) Mr. Collins drumming contributions with the jazz fusion group ‘Brand X’ also surprised me. I suppose I prefer the parts in his musical career where he isn’t actually singing. (For me, the best bits of Genesis are the instrumental sections anyway).

I did thoroughly enjoy the 2007 reunion tour DVD “When in Rome” (a free concert to 500,000 punters). One of the best stage/live shows I’ve yet seen (I don’t get out much these days) and the 90 minute documentary ‘Come rain or shine’ I still do not tire of watching.

In essence, Mr. Collins was directly responsible for my initial musical career (of course with many other influences as well), so I salute him for all his finer efforts.

PS – Chobbers, you will find Chester Thompson is generally playing Phil’s drum parts (note for note) while Phil is out front on stage singing. (As is Daryl Stuemer playing Mike Rutherfords & Steve Hackett guitar parts – though some of his modern embellishments are superb. ie. ‘Firth of Fife’ solos).
    Last edited by Deemac; 15-Jan-09 at 00:24.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

I liked the early genesis stuff (selling England by the pound etc). PC did sing some good stuff with genesis for example "Home by the sea" is one of their best songs in my opinion. I think alot of people dont like him because its the norm at the mo along the same lines as alot of people liked Chris de Burgh and he was everywhere until it was decided it was "uncool" to like him.
    Theres no doubting he has talent or Genesis would never have been so popular. Have just remebered "Mama" as well, very ahead of its time.

10. Default

Well at least Deemac knows what he's talking about having seen them live.
    PC put everthing into his live performances with Genesis and was every bit as good as Gabriel especially when performing the older songs and the double drums he did with Chester were somewhat better than "reasonable",in fact having seen them live myself they were brilliant.

The last few years of Genesis were a bit sad really,they were every bit as bland as PC's
    solo stuff.That said i think the man deserves a bit of respect for being a tremendous live drummer and when at his and the bands peak,a more than able replacement for Gabriel.

Crap actor though.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 14-Jan-09 at 23:48.

Default Phil Collins

Well hello there. I am the no 1 fan of Phil Collins, I have most of his albums and have seen him twice in concert. He is absolutely brilliant live.

Default Buster

My better half would say that he is magic, but sadlt I think he/they are cack.
    sorry????
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Default Having a moment

SADLY IS THE WORD I'M SEARCHING FOR, HOWEVER I'M BRAMS ANSD LIST, COZ A THAT WORKS OFFSHORE IS JUST HOME AND THINKS ITS STILL NEW YEAR,OOOOOOSORE HEED 2MORRO.
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Goldie Guest

Love him - his music - a true gem!!!

Cool Had Yer Phil?

Phil was a great asset to Genesis when he joined them back in th early '70's.

A lot of the Gabriel vocals on the lead up to his departure in '75 featured Phil on harmonies, that set a destinctive sound for Genesis but also made the transition from Peter a lot easier for the fan base.

When Phil had solo success (I.T.A.T.) he started pulling Banks and Rutherford into his own musical direction and sadly the Rock got to be more middle of the road.

I still buy Genesis material to this day (just yesterday being an example) and have all the studio albums now in glorious 5.1 Surround sound.

I did start kind of going off them in latter years but was totally impress when the 2007 European tour CD/DVD was released - they had come back with a bang!

What I didn't like was the fact that they never crossed the border to Scotland on their last tour.

I'll never Hate Phil but Gabriel is still King (and Ray Wilson who was greatly underrated when he replaced Phil, can stand proud by their sides).
    Last edited by futurelegends; 15-Jan-09 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    The man is a genius and should be held in esteem by everyone. Genesis are great, he's got a fantastic voice, he blazed a trail for a new type of drum sound in the 80's and he's written some of the greatest easylistening/pop ever and his wife probably deserved to be dumped via fax.

Cazart!
    I "love the wee man" bald as he is, his music is quite simply THE BEST.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I've always liked Phil Collins, both when he was with Genesis, and as a solo artist. Way back in the summer of 1978, hubby and I had the pleasure of attending a Genesis concert in New England. It was during their "And Then There Were Three" tour, and it was fantastic! We already had several of their albums, including that one, and the live performance was even better than the studio recording.

He was behind Land of Confusion and of course Another day in paradise, against all odds and the cadbury gorilla advert song, you know the one.

I confess to liking these songs.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore