Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Marshmallow Plant.

Default Marshmallow Plant.

mine is sprouting fresh green shoots but a havent cut it back .Was waiting till spring .Is it going to die on me if i cut it back just now .What should i do?

Default Marshmallow plant

Hi, Cuddlepops.

By Marshmallow plant do you mean the Lavetera? If so you would be best waiting until around March at the earliest - spring is their normal pruning time. Thin out the growth a bit, cutting some main stems out just above the ground. Cut back the remaining branches by about 1/3rd.

Ricco
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop
    mine is sprouting fresh green shoots but a havent cut it back .Was waiting till spring .Is it going to die on me if i cut it back just now .What should i do?
    Think you'll find that with the mild weather we are having, a lot of plants are sprouting new shoots now. I remember years ago when I was a bairn, plants never actually started sprouting until the spring.

Thank you both for your replys.What i'm afraid of is if ther's a cold snap like last year that was in late spring would it kill off the new growth,so would have to cut the plant right back?

Default Marshmallow plant

You will be quite safe to cut it back now.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Thank you,its a gorgeous day here so will spend sometime in the garden.Need to wrap up though as out of the sun its freezing

Hi, Cuddlepops. Hope the shrub is surviving OK. I pruned back my apple and pear trees a week ago, so I am also hoping they survive any severe cold spells but these are not likely now.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

It is still a bit risky cutting back and pruning up here. Yes it was a lovely warm afternoon last Monday, and you get all keen to go out gardening, but now this w/end has gone really cold again! I try to be patient and wait a few more weeks but it can be very difficult!