Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kawooshhhhhh....

The second one is fantastc dan.
    Raven and Nort Light now I know how all the rocks got over the wall, great shots,hope you had your hard hats on.

Thanks Liz, not sure about needing a hard hat that end of the pier, but the other end of the esplanade in a good gale might be more fun. Only just finished cleaning a camera that got pretty wet though, mixture of rain and sea water spray.

Dan,
    Oh, that looks a bit lively.

Quote Originally Posted by North Light View Post
    but the other end of the esplanade in a good gale might be more fun.
    I've experienced that myself on a stormy day. Walking innocently along the esplanade, never realized how far in the tide was and suddenly a wave hit the wall and the spray shot about 12 foot in the air, right over the metal fence and I just jumped sideways in time. It gave me the fright of my life!! Then I stood at a distance and watched the waves rolling in, bouncing off the wall and coming back to hit the next wave coming in and BOOM! they collided and spray went into the air - 12 foot or more. It was incredible. Wish I'd had my camera with me. Tried to take a video on my mobile but it didn't work!

LIZZ,

I owe you an apology, hard hat is definitely a good idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/north_light/3195944227/

Also tried the chicken idea! Got under an unexpected lump of seawater, most of which went straight down my neck!
    Very bracing!
    Yet another session of camera washing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/north_light/3196789030/
    Last edited by North Light; 15-Jan-09 at 09:51. Reason: Replace photo

Talking

He he north light sounds like a combination hard hat and souwester might be in order.
    Well at least that's your neck had a good wash for this year.

Where's the water gone, did you pull the plug ???

nirofo.

LIZZ,

I owe you an apology, hard hat is definitely a good idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/north_light/3195944227/

Also tried the chicken idea! Got under an unexpected lump of seawater, most of which went straight down my neck!
    Very bracing!
    Yet another session of camera washing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/north_light/3196789030/

@dan67, great shots of Golspie!

@NL like your last shot! The stones on the promenade look really scary, especially as I parked the car only inches away on Monday

Lizz,
    Thanks, but I will take that as the annual bath.

Raven,
    Yes I was a bit surprised to see the stones there.

nirofo,
    It's only polite to empty the water out of the bath after one has finished.

North Light...

I`d have thought sea water to be amongst the worst things for a camera.

How on earth do you "clean" it after that?

tjc,
    You're quite correct, definitely not recommended, the D300 has good sealing around switches and buttons, and the camera was splashed rather than immersed, most of the water had gone down my neck! I seem to cope with salt water immersion better than electronics!

All the water was wiped off, the camera then wiped over with a damp cloth using fresh water, compressed air used very gently to blow water out of nooks and cranneys. All rubber flaps and doors opened, pop-up flash etc opened, the sealing on all of these worked and there were no signs of water ingress, batteries and lens removed, caps put on and then everything sat on a clean towel on the bathroom floor, our bathroom has low level electric under-floor heating, just warm to touch, left there for twelve hours to dry out. Camera then cleaned again and put back together, all seems to work ok.

Not to be recommended!

Oh, I forgot, the most important part, Fingers, Toes and anything else I could find crossed!

Great shots everyone - thanks for taking the time to share them.

dan67..No2 Brill!

When I grow up I want to be a big Kawooshhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by wicker05 View Post
    When I grow up I want to be a big Kawooshhhhhh

Haha, little kawooshhhh would have needed a little more kawooomph. Very nice lighting wicker05

A couple I took at Wick harbour today

wicker05,
    Well caught, reckon the first definitely deserves a WHOSHHHH

tjc,
    You're quite correct, definitely not recommended, the D300 has good sealing around switches and buttons, and the camera was splashed rather than immersed, most of the water had gone down my neck! I seem to cope with salt water immersion better than electronics!

All the water was wiped off, the camera then wiped over with a damp cloth using fresh water, compressed air used very gently to blow water out of nooks and cranneys. All rubber flaps and doors opened, pop-up flash etc opened, the sealing on all of these worked and there were no signs of water ingress, batteries and lens removed, caps put on and then everything sat on a clean towel on the bathroom floor, our bathroom has low level electric under-floor heating, just warm to touch, left there for twelve hours to dry out. Camera then cleaned again and put back together, all seems to work ok.

Not to be recommended!
    Oh, I forgot, the most important part, Fingers, Toes and anything else I could find crossed!

Cheers for the rundown North Light. Sounds like something to be avoided but good to know that todays cameras can handle a little bit of water.

Not wanting to get sea water on the camera/lens has probably stopped me trying shots that I think are gonna be risky for a bit of splashing etc...

But they do make for great shots.

Impressive pics everyone.

tjc,
    Salt Water and cameras are not a good idea, but there are some simple protection methods, plastic bag with a hole cut for the lens, elastic band around the bag to seal on say the lens hood. Clear or uv filter to protect the front element of the lens.
    Needles to say I wasn't using much of this, I usually have a protective filter on if I'm near salt water though.

tjc,
    Salt Water and cameras are not a good idea, but there are some simple protection methods, plastic bag with a hole cut for the lens, elastic band around the bag to seal on say the lens hood. Clear or uv filter to protect the front element of the lens.
    Needles to say I wasn't using much of this, I usually have a protective filter on if I'm near salt water though.
    North Light,

Thanks for the info. I plan on being very careful with my new toys.

Will maybe look into getting some kind of protective filter though.

20. Default

North Light.....tis a very mobile creel me thinks.This was taken on 30th Dec,that freezing fog morning i think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast