Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Glasgow Link

Default The Glasgow Link

I have pondered for a while why the majority of persons in Caithness are either Rangers or Celtic fans. Is there a reason that people do not support Wick Academy (barr the woeful performances in previous seasons) or even teams such as Ross County, Inverness CT or Aberdeen are more relevant than the two Glasgow teams.

I can only suggest that It is down to a lot of Glaswegian Immigrants to the area.

There are a lot of glory hunters

Their religious persuasion has formed the team they support

Fashion followers in the area are partial to the hoops

Can anyone explain the dominance of the Glasgow clubs in Caithness? If all these persons followed their local team such as Wick Academy the support would be huge. In turn this would lead to Wick having a chance to break into the Scottish Football league. Which in turn would lead to a good sports stadium, training facilities and community based projects through the club. Moreover it would lead to a pride in the town and a common goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
    I have pondered for a while why the majority of persons in Caithness are either Rangers or Celtic fans. Is there a reason that people do not support Wick Academy (barr the woeful performances in previous seasons) or even teams such as Ross County, Inverness CT or Aberdeen are more relevant than the two Glasgow teams.

I can only suggest that It is down to a lot of Glaswegian Immigrants to the area.

Can anyone explain the dominance of the Glasgow clubs in Caithness? If all these persons followed their local team such as Wick Academy the support would be huge. In turn this would lead to Wick having a chance to break into the Scottish Football league. Which in turn would lead to a good sports stadium, training facilities and community based projects through the club. Moreover it would lead to a pride in the town and a common goal.
    I quite agree. It worked well for Inverness.

Quote Originally Posted by dook View Post
    I quite agree. It worked well for Inverness.

Dook, I am just being specific to Caithness due to this being a Caithness forum. I realise this is a nationwide problem, where small towns/cities throughout the country have people who would rather travel to Glasgow to watch the 'tic or the 'gers than save money and time and support the team on their doorstep.

Dook, I am just being specific to Caithness due to this being a Caithness forum. I realise this is a nationwide problem, where small towns/cities throughout the country have people who would rather travel to Glasgow to watch the 'tic or the 'gers than save money and time and support the team on their doorstep.
    I think it's down to the standard of the football. I watched a Wick Academy match the other day and stared in disbelief as this big guy in goals actually caught the football in his hands before throwing it out to a team mate. Everyone knows you can only kick the ball. That boy thought he was pretty special. Didn't even wear the right colour of top and had trackie bottoms on. The big jessie.

I think it's seen to be uncool to support your local team in this day and age?
    WeeBurd.

lol wick academey ,FOLLOW FOLLOW im born and bread here

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't break down into needless slagging of those horrible bluenose bin rakin Gers. It could so easily happen and I'd like to think everyone was able to rise above it.

when i first seen 'iss thread i thot it said glesgow tink...

thot it wis a follow on fie aniter thread
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    lol wick academey ,FOLLOW FOLLOW im born and bread here

I could tell by the spelling of "bread".

I could tell by the spelling of "bread".
    Dough knead to make a wholemeal out of it Salad!

Dough knead to make a wholemeal out of it Salad!
    you're not going to get a RISE out of me

you're not going to get a RISE out of me
    With wit like that your bound to have been your mothers pride

With wit like that your bound to have been your mothers pride

aye, I wasn't born Yeasterday

aye, I wasn't born Yeasterday
    Bet you were BAP-tised though. Man, I'm on a ROLL.

Bet you were BAP-tised though. Man, I'm on a ROLL.

This has now gone off topic and I want NANN more of these terrible puns. I am begining to PITTA you and your humour.

stop stop guys....ye's are killin me
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    stop stop guys....ye's are killin me
    Sorry Flour, will dough.
    Last edited by dook; 11-Jan-09 at 01:55. Reason: mispell

Sorry Flour, will dough.
    foccacia off Dook

i take a SLICE of the action dook

I dont think its all "Glory Hunters" or religous based. I support Glasgow Rangers as When I lived in Ayrshire ma dad used to take me to Ibroxand my Family has supported Rangers for Generations.I have supported Rangers through thick and thin and would never support Inverness, Aberdeen etc. Man Utd, Real Madrid etc are a global brand and have followers well outwith the catchment areas.For the Record I also support Mancester City but dont come from Manchester!!
    Whatever team you support is up to YOU and shouldnt be dictated by where you live.If thats the case then you should only buy local goods from Local shops served by a Local person!!!,we'll have no trouble here (league of gentlemen anyone!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast