Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help with playstation

Default Help with playstation

Can anybody help or do they know anybody that can help.
    My stepson has a Playstation 2 that is 15 months old but it has developed a strange fault.
    Any disk that you put in seems to go round, but a strange vibrating noise comes from it and the machine does not activate the disk. Doesn't matter if it is a game, audio or DVD.

Tried hitting it a few times

At first we thought it was the heat and the fan inside wasn't cooling it enough, because the fault was intermittant, just when the machine had been used quite alot.

Just a bit lost, so if anybody has taken one of these apart before and discovered something simple like a bit of fluff jammed in the mechanism, I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Ta

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

Sounds like the laser is either on its way out or needs recalibrated via the pots on the side of it (little screws) its easy enough to do but when doing it turn the pots a small fraction of a turn at a time because if you turn them to much they break and you will need a new laser then

if not you need a new laser you can get them online from repair sites if you need one search the net for ps2 repairs

God Guest

Default Yeh

I agree its a very common fault for PS2's.

Thanks Guys, great advice, but I'll try a lense cleaner for DVD's first, just incase it is something simple like that.
    What do you think ?

Thanks for the input - much appreciated

aye would give that a go sometimes its something as simple as that

if not your looking at £70 ish for a new laser almost worth buying a new one though

Cheers, will let you know what happens when I recieve the disk for cleaning.
    Only ordered it tonight.

If the laser has failed or any other part and you bought it new, then although technically out of warranty you should have a good case for a warranty repair. The current consumer laws make allowances for items failing after the warranty period has ended as different items have a different life expectancy and consumer electronics would be expected to last longer than 15 months.

true enough although sony wont deal with anything if its out of warrenty i have had a few dealings with them before all they will do is check the serial and the registration date and if its out of warrenty they will kindly offer to repair it for a small fee

A Small fee of £80 with a 6 - 8 week wait
    They also offered me a re-conditioned machine for £60

Got the cleaning disk today so I will try that later, and hope it is only that.

Many thanks to you guys for your advice and I will let you know tomorrow if that disk works.

Disk cleaner didn't work, back to drawing board.
    Will try the warranty angle first as I have had dealings with this type of work before.

Many thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by The Angel Of Death
    true enough although sony wont deal with anything if its out of warrenty i have had a few dealings with them before all they will do is check the serial and the registration date and if its out of warrenty they will kindly offer to repair it for a small fee
    You would need to remind them of their legal responsibility in the matter and if they refused speak to Trading Standards who will provide more weight.