Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you go on your Mountain Bike

Im pretty sure Borgie forest out past Bettyhill has a marked cycle track, definatly a good few miles of quite forest road if your into peaceful/in-the-middle of nowhere cycling!

(I see it has also been mentioned).. Golspie I highly recommend! Very well built .... It caters for beginner cyclist - right through to high speed-white knuckle thrill seekers like me! http://www.scottishmountainbike.com/...at/wildcat.php

If you are into trials like Golspie where there is a mixture of everything, then there are plenty other tracks, closer by to home you have Kyle of Sutherland trails (very good! cross country with the odd bit of faster downhill!) .... Learnie in the Black Isle .... slightly further away, Moray trails (not been to yet!), Laggan - (excellent!), and loads of trails in the Aviemore and Fort William areas!
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6MQD2A

g
    www.pearlofage.com - Timelapse & Cinematography

Dont know if its open yet but Fort William have a red grade downhill track starting from the gondola where the world cup DH track starts.

Default Dark nights

I just love going mountain biking in the winter months after tea and going off road in the pitch black darkness with only my cateye stadium HID light to lead the way, you see some amazing things when night time mountain biking like foxes, other creatures plus you can get some weird experiences as well especially when passing the old hotel at lochdhu near Altnabreac and witnessing our local occult worshipers dancing around a fire in late October bringing in the winter, I think they were more shocked than I was with my 80watt hid mountain bike light shinning down the track just nuking everything with light looking like something from close encounter.

Default Dark nights

I just love going mountain biking in the winter months after tea and going off road in the pitch black darkness with only my cateye stadium HID light to lead the way, you see some amazing things when night time mountain biking like foxes, other creatures plus you can get some weird experiences as well especially when passing the old hotel at lochdhu near Altnabreac and witnessing our local occult worshipers dancing around a fire in late October bringing in the winter, I think they were more shocked than I was with my 80watt hid mountain bike light shinning down the track just nuking everything with light looking like something from close encounter.

Two very good routes that has not had a mention are John O Grote’s and Bettyhill

John O Grote’s 10 miles (ish)
    Park at John O Grote’s car park. Head for the light house along the shore through the campsite. When you get to the road climb the hill to the trig point then down the path to the stacks and up the big climb by the fence. Turn back when ever you want heading straight for the road and back along the shore to the car.

The trail is about 75% off road (100% of down hill is off road) the down hills have plenty to excite even the flat by the shore has a good run down to a wee burn. The second climb is a really good challenge. I can do it all in the dry but always fail in the wet. The first descent can be done at speed if you wish. Even if you to fall most of the off trail ground is soft and wet thus reducing the chance of hurting yourself. Depending on your chosen rout the second down hill needs loads of control and concentration, mainly due to the fact that you cannot tell what's in the grass.

Bettyhill 5 miles (ish)
    Drive through Bettyhill past the Naver Bridge but don't cross it. Park on the grass below the house at the end of the path coming off the hill. Ride back to Bettyhill and out the other side. At the top of the hill you will see the old tip road on the right. Follow this to the end (about 4.5km) at Achamore. The road starts as tarmac and rougher and rougher ending shortly after going through a burn and a great off road climb. At the top of the climb you have run out of path. It’s now a short slog (but do able) to the top of the return path. To find the path look out for a loch and then keep to the left of it. You will soon find a path that gets better the further you go. The path is about 2.5km down hill well rough in places and takes you straight to the car. This run is about the best I have found in Caithness and Sutherland (Not including Golspie). I run a good full suspension bike and it makes the suspension work for its living. There are two sections where you ride through water (if you’re brave enough). The first is a long deep peaty section; just don't stop and you’ll be fine. The second much easier is through a shallow moving burn. Please don’t shoot me for the mileages of the routes I have just taken a rough guess.

I hope I have given these to runs a good description and you’ll try them out if you have not already. I would love to hear what you think of them.

Bit of an old thread, but i would highly recommenced golspie! If you want to do the black trails i would suggest a full suspension bike, my hardbacks back tire exploded the run was too much for it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12