Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any horsey people on here?

You are most welcome!
    Oz
    Traditional Working Saddler
    Est 1988
    Designer of the Locata horse ID tag as on www.unicornleather.co.uk

Just read a bit more of one of your posts, yes the SOS, I invented it and make it, sick of the sight of them sometimes!
    That is what she has registered, the other items (banana bag and 4 in 1 bridle) which I also invented are going to be registered as well soon.
    You have to these days or someone will copy it and start making it abroad for pence!
    I am making up new sos's tomorrow for stock and am going to make some leather ones as well as the nylon ones, that is why I ordered more leather from Abbey.
    I do get asked for leather ones from the tradtionalists now and again, Carol is looking for distributors of the sos's so if you or any other retailers you know are interested e mail her via her website for details, she doesn't bite!
    She deals with the money and business side of things, I am merely the man who designs and makes things, I know my place!!
    Oz
    Est 1988

I love a clydesdale, so i am a horsey person too.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I like the heavy horses too, made up a show ploughing bridle for a heavy horse with all the brass on it, looks quite good it is sitting in my workshop. Took a lot of hand stitching through up to 5 thicknesses of bridle butt leather!
    I also made up a heavy horse riding bridle as an experiment really, it's huge and got a 2 " wide noseband!
    Someone had me make up a cavesson noseband for a really heavy cob once and when she put it on her off the peg bridle it didn't look right as it was so big compared to the rest of it, so I decided to make a complete bridle up to match just to see what it looked like!
    I think there's a picture on my website unicornleather.co.uk
    I have yet to see anything in the country that is as wide and as large!
    If I had a horse I would like a Irish Draught or a ID x TB, they make excellent riding horses with nice temperments, (usually)!
    Maybe that's why I like the heavy horses, they are on the whole more placid although saying that, I met a nasty gelding at a heavy horse centre once I was doing some saddlery repairs for!
    And riding a heavy horse is easier than riding a jumpy Arab for instance especially if you ride as badly as I do and need every assistance to actually stay on board!
    Oz
    Est 1988

i have a clydesdale x and arab they seem the same sort of ride although one is finer they are both responsive

Must be my bad riding then!
    Oz
    Est 1988

sorry i was not say that your riding was bad i ment that they are both forward going but easy to stop

hi Im horsey , but from Fife does that count.
    Free Spirit

Yes it all counts!
    Majic, it's ok I am a rubbish rider!!
    Much better Saddler though!
    Oz
    Est 1988

i take you it you come up here then i might need you

Default hey

UNicorn - I didn't think you were a saddler fitter ???? or are you ? mainly a maker?

Majic - if you need a saddle fitter I organise for Clare Molyneux to come up - she's very good from Nairn.

Also for all the horsey people reading this - as of saturday there is a new Caithness Equestrian newsletter available monthly (and it's FREE)...........it will be going out at the Working Hunter Show at the indoor on Saturday then hopefully through CLB - Geddes - the vets etc....

Alternatively you can have it posted to you for £15 a year to cover the costs.
    Last edited by KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN; 07-Jan-09 at 08:25. Reason: typing errors

Joining in a bit late here - ever since we moved up, my neighbour has been asking me when the pony's arriving

One of my new year's resolutions is to start riding again after a 5-year gap, so I'll be taking myself off to Torrisdale when the weather gets a bit better to see if they've got a nice quiet pony I can get my confidence back on

Well, I'm determined to get back into it.

Do any of you mothers out there not find that you see the danger in every aspect of it now though? I used to love the speed, jumping as high as was possible, drag hunting etc and loved exercising race horses on the gallops. Just the thought of what I used to do leaves me quaking now though. Both my daughters are almost 18 so I'm hoping I'll have the guts to get back into it properly - just the thought of any road riding has me making myself believe that I actually just want a mare to breed from and not actually have to ride. lol.
    Does it get easier the more you get back into it? Or do you find back protectors, shin protectors, every other protector plus hat and face cage just seem to creep in????
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

its funny, im a complete novice again, and i dont have any problem with confidence with riding, and im encouraging sam to ride. i know the dangers but we both love horses so much! sam wanted to jump barrels his first lesson! and took to it like a duck to water! i cant wait for his lessons to start again, as i just love watching him ride! and i plan on taking him to events soon, so we can start watching together and learning more!
    http://itqueries.com/

Default hey

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Well, I'm determined to get back into it.

Does it get easier the more you get back into it? Or do you find back protectors, shin protectors, every other protector plus hat and face cage just seem to creep in????
    Hey body protectors will have come on A a LOT since you were probably riding - they are all round the rib cage protection and some with shoulders and neck too .......

You'll probably find its the anticipation that makes you more nervous than the actual getting on a riding - and no one says you need to get on and do all the things you used to - get up to Bettyhill and go for a great hack out on the beach - im sure it'll all cme flooding back!!!

Hello again Keep_on_truckin I think I need to explain what a Saddler actually is!
    I was trained in Cordwainers College in Hackney in 1987-88 that gave me saddle, bridle and all related saddlery making skills, I have an in depth knowledge of material sciences (ie leather construction and breaking strains etc) as well as a Lorinery Certificate.
    As a saddler I know how to design, make and fit ALL saddlery (including rugs and material items other than leather items) and why certain leathers, fittings and styles are used. I can fit and flock saddles on site although after 21 years I do very little flocking only when my arm is twisted by friends!
    I am trained the old school way, I can make a saddle as it was made one hundred years ago, using hand made threads and no modern materials, unfortunately I am in a minority and the trade has moved on and there is not much call for old fashioned saddlery!
    Much of todays saddlery is bought in from abroad, even the "english" leather items, the leather is english but the item is made in India!
    I have more or less gone into design and manufacture these days, I have designed and made a few new items for the saddlery trade and want to design saddles for high withered horses and flat cobs eventually.
    A Society of Master Saddler "saddle fitter", like so many of the people I see out there now have had 6 days training to fit saddles, they do not always have the skills to flock them.
    They have not had the experience to know how the saddle is constructed and what could go wrong with it and how to fix it, what is safe and what is not safe.
    A "saddle fitter" qualification looks good on paper!
    If I seem anti "saddle fitters" then I am sorry, I have met some bad ones but on the other hand I have met some good ones and realise they are not all bad.
    What people need to know is, a saddle fitter is not the same as a Saddler!
    Oz
    Last edited by unicornleather; 07-Jan-09 at 19:56.
    Est 1988

Default hey

Thanks that was interesting - the saddle fitter I use - whom I trust a LOT - changed 2 horses in my care over the past 12 months............. also works with a SADDLER.... who comes with her.....seems a good partnership - again it's the saddler who does all my rug repairs and leather maintenance :-)

What I meant is that I did not perceive from your posts on various forums that you travelled around providing a "saddle fitting service" that you were more in my eyes as someone who actually "made things" .......................sore for loose laymans terms.

No worries, not a problem, when a newly qualified saddle fitter goes out on site fitting saddles with a proper saddler that is a good idea in my books, we can help them on their way but all too often I see what I would class as novices out on their own and I feel for them as they need back up sometimes.
    2 heads are better than one!
    Taking out saddlery apprentices on site and having one in the workshop is a good idea too as they are straight out of college and often have new skills we haven't been taught and are aware of all the new up to date products and materials coming on to the market, they can often teach us more than we can teach them!
    Oz
    Est 1988

heres a question that ive wondered about... american western saddles and brittish.. which to go for, and why? ive noticed in my very inexperianced views.. that american horses and british horses have very dif. gates! *G* its been years but i remember basically just sitting on the horse to ride when i was younger.. and not putting a lot of the weight in my legs. obviously, an english saddle dosent have a sadle horn, which the first couple times i was on a horse over here was to say the least weird.. kept on looking for something to grab onto! *Laughs*
    was just randomly thinking about tack today, and was wondering what kind of saddle i would end up with once i had my own horse. and what kind of reigns ect... i know without a doubt i will never ever use rubber reigns again if i can avoid it.. ouch.. those blisters hurt!
    ahhh so much to learn!!!
    im really really enjoying reading all these posts! and looking to learn all i can!
    anyone want help with their horses in exchange for learning day to day care?
    http://itqueries.com/

Im a horsey person! Rode at Achalone for about 12 years! had a horse too but had to sell due to lack of time because i started college and working and things! I miss him!

I was meant to go back horse riding last year but fell pregnant! Might go back to it this year but will see how the pennies are!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast