Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any horsey people on here?

We're in Bower, nothing worrying,some are rescues so have had a lot of trust /physical 'issues' but are chilling and thriving.We have a couple of youngsters in process of bringing on and a teen whos done nothing since 6ish,so starting him again and oldie couple happy in semi retirement...a real mixed bag.
    Jovi

Default cool

I have youngster on go - getting broken in spring - have sat on few times and 14 yo brilliant cobby - who I got in summer....she's amazing hadn't done much for a while- she was advertsied on the org and way absolutely money well spent - she's been an angel :-)

I got my boy as a foal and made great progress but with move up here,finding land,work..etc came to a halt. Started more work last year and he's doing great,bitless too. He's 16.3 Irish DraughtxThoroughbred,can't put pic on as haven't worked that out yet. Goodluck with yours.
    Jovi

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    We have 4 acres here and I'm trying to convince hubby once again that when the land has eventually been ploughed, levelled and seeded that a horse would look much better mushing the ground back up than having a perfectly manicured piece of flat land. He knows I'll win in the end so he's taking his sweet fanny time getting the darn thing ploughed.
    Hmmmm, any of you horsey people know of the best way to plough extremely rough and bumpy land that is covered in Gorse seedlings? We took out all the gorse a couple of years ago with the digger and burnt the lot (took all bloomin year) but they've groen back in double quick time and as the land is not ploughed or relatively level we can't mow it to keep it in check.
    I have Natives that just love to munch gorse / thistles etc perhaps you need a nice native pony to clear up you bit.

Diane

Default hey

Quote Originally Posted by Jovi View Post
    I got my boy as a foal and made great progress but with move up here,finding land,work..etc came to a halt. Started more work last year and he's doing great,bitless too. He's 16.3 Irish DraughtxThoroughbred,can't put pic on as haven't worked that out yet. Goodluck with yours.
    Jovi
    thanks, sounds NICE....... usually ride cobby bitless..... in PNH halter or dr cooks crossover bitless.... what type bitless you using???

Default hey

Quote Originally Posted by divanp75 View Post
    I have Natives that just love to munch gorse / thistles etc perhaps you need a nice native pony to clear up you bit.

Diane
    is that the hard sell Diane??? haha!!! Didn't check out that mud fever link yet - but have you heard of stoppital ?>?????? thinking about trying it ....but its more the mites than the mud fevere i'm concerned about - looking a lot healthier this last couple of days - I bet the frost has got to help - would love to get her to dunnet beach on saturday but want to havea look at working hunter show since we won't be taking her although got indoor school on Friday night and after the hunt probably best not over do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN View Post
    thanks, sounds NICE....... usually ride cobby bitless..... in PNH halter or dr cooks crossover bitless.... what type bitless you using???

Was backed and longlined in Monty Roberts Dually and last year decided to try a Dr.Cook..working well so far. Jovi

Default hey

yeah I like the dr cooks - i think it's the best for pressure distribution - although I find that she's a lot lighter when I then ride in a nathe bit for whatever reason (the bit in the picture) I had borrowed that particular one from a friend for that day - and decided to buy my own - 60 quid but it's well worth it - horses doesn't throw head as much as she did when I first got her and tried to pick up contact - hence why I went dr cooks....

Hello Keep on trucking, are you the one who has started up the retail website?
    If so, how's it going?
    I've been chatting to a lady in Cheltenham recently on another forum, who has started up a tack shop in that area, trying to help her over the many hurdles and closed doors within the Saddlery trade!
    I used to retail and had a high street shop years ago (1995 ish) but too many people doing it now so I stick to manufacturing, repairs,saddle fitting and flocking (although I am giving fitting and flocking up after 21 years to concentrate on designing new products instead), keeps me out of mischief in my workshop I suppose!
    Nice to see so many people interested in horses on here, Oz
    Traditional Working Saddler
    Est 1988
    Designer of the Locata horse ID tag as on www.unicornleather.co.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN View Post
    would love to get her to dunnet beach on saturday
    Would love to go too but the truck is in the shop so still dont have wheels to get there. Glad your water fighting had some success at the weekend.

Diane

Default hey

Yup Oz you got it in one!!!

it's going well ....very busy up to Christmas - bit quieter at the moment....but just working on a few little projects and keeping a few core folk as happy as I can at the moment...... in process of developing a new website..... :-) If you want to do some advertising you should drop me some infor for a write up or link ...... think ive noticed you on New Rider forum too ???? Been hearing some sad stories from Kis Vahar on there too about the money problems and horses for slaughter over there at this tough time sad - I think he's a saddler as well ... :-(

I've got a 27 year old mare who is thinks she is 7, and still being ridden, she has owned me since she was 5. quite a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    she has owned me since she was 5.
    I have often wondered if that is a mare thing, never had that problem when I only had a gelding. The girls are very demanding and moody too.

DIane

Yes I chat to Kis (she is a woman) and her husband Paul is the saddler, we often chat. I chat to Wally too who is anothe rlady saddler up on the Isles above you (Shetland I think).
    I am no nearer to moving to Inverness yet!
    Still saving up!
    Was there over xmas though at my girlfriend Carol's (cssaddlery.co.uk), I have designed some new products for her and she has now registered one at the patent office, so things are looking up.
    Thing she finds that is a real pain is when she buys from the wholesalers they clobber her so much extra on postage to Inverness which is totally unfair, where as I used to pay £3.50 per carton from same wholesaler she is paying over £8 yet she is still on mainland UK, totally unfair and it effects your profits doesn't it?
    Oz
    Est 1988

Default hey

ABSOLUTELY AND its worse up here and it will be even worse for Wally in Shetland....

Are you going to BETA in feb ???? I notice Abbey Saddlery are the major sponsor - what like are they ???

PS had checked out Carols site before but hadn't amde the connection - mainly came across it as several folk asked me if I could get the Emergency SOS - but I see it's unique to her - is that a collaboartion with yourself?? I take it the patent is on the 4 in 1 bridle ? Nice one.
    Last edited by KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN; 06-Jan-09 at 00:20. Reason: added extra

I might go to beta if I can be bothered, I usually get free tickets every year but only go every other year.
    Abbey are ok, they used to make SO many mistakes in my orders but over the years they have got better!
    They can be expensive but most of their stuff is English made, the bit range is very good but expensive and you will be competing against bits coming in from China from wholesalers and of course, you can't beat the Chinese on prices!
    Funnily enough I have just ordered some more leather and nylon from them tonight!
    Do you have an account with them?
    Oz
    Est 1988

Default hey

I have their catalogues and prices etc - but I am more about the products - try a lot to be a little bit different and not just the everyday stuff you can get from the agricuppliers locally!! etc..........finding a niche.....

Quote Originally Posted by divanp75 View Post
    I have often wondered if that is a mare thing, never had that problem when I only had a gelding. The girls are very demanding and moody too.

DIane
    She is not so much moody, or mare like, just very fussy who she speaks to sometimes. OH gets upset when he cannot catch her, and I just call her in

They do a good range on Fiebings horse, rugs and leathercare products which you might find useful.
    Their main customers are saddlers and leather goods people, we get all our raw materials from them as it is so much easier having everything we need in one catalogue than having to source it elsewhere!
    Laziness really!
    The other items like over reach boots etc will be cheaper from wholesalers to be honest.
    If you ever want any advice and I can answer your questions just PM me, I am here to help if I can and point new retailers etc in the right direction! Oz
    Est 1988

Default hey

Cheers mannie it's good to know :-)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast