Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unwanted snails in my aquarium

router Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A9RUNNER View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas, I like the sound of using Assasin Snails to clear up the problem, Anyone know wgere I could get some. i have googled a bit and found loads of fish forums discussing using them but nowhere that sells any.
    You could go to pets at home in wick and ask the manageress to order you some in, they are good when it comes to ordering for customers.

They really are the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by router View Post
    the fish shows no sign of stress, gets plenty to eat and infact loves to swim with the other small fish in the tank.
    a community tank with all peaceful fish, if it showed any signs that something was up with it, then the oh would remove it.
    The temp of the tank is set to 1 degree higher than what you would or should have for certain types of goldfish, researching this before she put it in the tank helped.
    Most of " What we call tropical fish" are only named Tropical because of the temperature of the waters they live. cold water fish are normaly what we would put in a pond outside that can tolerate colder temps. Fancy goldfish are bred in tanks kept at temps of 22-28 degrees, so infact this does not do this fish any harm.

But back to the snails, the best thing to do is either use a net to scoop them out, as putting your hands in the water all the time to crush them is no good for the fish, or get a weather loach, which is a cold water fish aswell but highly recommended for a warm water tank, and they are very good at removing snails.The one loach that does eat snails.
    Or as stated in earlier post ASSASSIN SNAILS.
    Well i for one dont agree with keeping a cold water fish in warm water,It's just not right.I cant find the web site i seen it on but they put a good case forward that warm water speeds up their metabolism, which makes sence to me as they ARE classed as coldwater fish.

Now the snails. why would you want to put a snail into a tank to rid it of other snails? Sure they do eat other snails but they dont eat their own kind, So what are you left with,Snails that breed,they lay between 2 and 15 eggs a day and they take 3 to 4 weeks to hatch,What are you left with then?

Heres some more info from someone who keeps them.

http://arizonainverts.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=204

router Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    Well i for one dont agree with keeping a cold water fish in warm water,It's just not right.I cant find the web site i seen it on but they put a good case forward that warm water speeds up their metabolism, which makes sence to me as they ARE classed as coldwater fish.

Now the snails. why would you want to put a snail into a tank to rid it of other snails? Sure they do eat other snails but they dont eat their own kind, So what are you left with,Snails that breed,they lay between 2 and 15 eggs a day and they take 3 to 4 weeks to hatch,What are you left with then?
    No pest snails
    Sails that sell (assassin)
    and healthy fish, which is better than any chemical solution money can buy.
    Anyway one is bowing from this,will we have to agree to disagree. its down to A9RUNNER to decide what they choose to do with the problems.

See you removed your link sharpish there router, In my eyes it makes no sence to put snails into a tank to rid it of snails when the snail your putting in breed's quite fast themself's.
    I myself have used eSHa GASTROPEX with good results, that combined with a yoyo loach, snails no more, And i can tell you that it had no affect on my fish and my water quality is second to none.

router Guest

Only because i realised you had posted a link and wanted time to read it.
    But nothing was gained by that and to be honest could not be bothered to do it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by router View Post
    Only because i realised you had posted a link and wanted time to read it.
    But nothing was gained by that and to be honest could not be bothered to do it all again.

Aw well,we will leave it at that then

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12