Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houstons In Wick

Default Houstons In Wick

We were in wick today and decided for a change to go to Houstons as we would normally go to weatherspoons.

It took a while to get someone to take our order, then gave us food not ment for us then forgot our drinks.

But beware Houstons has certainly gone down hill, my hubby, son and I all had fish and chips, the chips were fine, but the fish was yuk, it had a funny taste to it the batter was soggy and grainy. I left 3/4 of mine and that was enough to make me boke and feel sick.

It want worth the £23 we ended up paying.

The lady next to us had a breakfast and the sausages were pale and under cooked looking, she left them.

Wont be going there ever again. Thats a local family run place but yrt a place like spoons with a nation wide menu can get things better.

Sounds awful, why pay for it though if it was so bad, did they not even offer a discount?
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Probably tasted rank as its frozen block fish that hey use the fresh fish got to expensive to use. That came from a staff member hence the reason i dont go there for my fish and chips now.

I have been a few times and think its gone down hill too. I had fish and chips and the fish wasn't very nice. Also had the chicken maryland couldn't eat it for all the fat it was swimming in. The cafe bit is expensive and the food isn't as good at it used to be.
    A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time.

The last time myself and the missus went there for food it was shocking, the all day breakfast i had was overcooked and dry and the lasagne that Mrs Giz had was nothing but tasteless stodge...we won't be going there again.

Haven't been over the door for at least ten years probably, it's too expensive. Better off going to Wicker's World, top class service every time.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Used to be a favourite for a fish tea, but sadly it got too expensive and the service was poor too. Getting older the stairs became an issue when going to the loo, so Wickers World is the stopping choice now I am afraid.

Did try a take-away fish supper about two years ago, but that was quite awful, but the seagulls fair enjoyed it.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Haven't been over the door for at least ten years probably, it's too expensive. Better off going to Wicker's World, top class service every time.

Im with you Julia and there cakes especially the banoffee pie are to die for.

Default Fish and chips

I thought I had tried all the local fish shops/cafe's, but I have not heared of Houstans before.

Where is it?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I thought I had tried all the local fish shops/cafe's, but I have not heared of Houstans before.

Where is it?
    Its right up beside the 99p shop across the road from the Post office. They have a sit in cafe and a takeaway shop.

Default Houstans we have contact

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    Its right up beside the 99p shop across the road from the Post office. They have a sit in cafe and a takeaway shop.
    I have had fish and chips there before from the take away.

I didn't notice the cafe area though or the name of the place.

Something I found a bit off putting about the place is the smell of used chip oil coming out of the extraction unit outside.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

houstins have gone down hill somewhat but the harbour chip shop is even worse,the chips there are cold and look like they have been refried a few times.wont be going back thats for sure.if you can take a trip to henrietta chip shop it well worth it

Default chips

Have had chips from houstons and yep they were yuck but had chips at harbour and they were yummy and piping hot that was just a few weeks ago after kids went swimming, as were the ones we ate after the swimming gala from hennrietta st chippy....not that we eat chips often but just thought I would add my experiences of local chip providers to the chip debate! have also had excellent service in the harbour cafe went with kid when he had been ill as I knew he would eat something in there even if it was a great big slab of cake!!!

Thumbs down

we went there for chips last week and they were not very hot so we went back in and told him and he gave us more but they were hard and looked as though they have been reheated too much.the service was poor.i can think of better chip shops that deserve my hard earned money.i will not be going back there .

far aboots is wickers world?
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

try the pit stop

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    far aboots is wickers world?

Its what the harbour cafe is called now i think
    A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time.

cheers floyed - fone ye wi details later
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    try the pit stop
    thats ok if you ever find it open

Quote Originally Posted by chamb View Post
    thats ok if you ever find it open
    aye, i wis shocked til see it shut on christmas eve...they wid o' made a fortune!!
    Blessed Be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast