Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music @ Dunnet Head Lighthouse

Default Music @ Dunnet Head Lighthouse

A positive piece in today's Scotsman about said topic.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/ente...icleid=4781813

From the Scotsman Newspaper - The first time I saw the insides of the Dunnet Head Lighthouse complex I was 15 years old. That was December 1992 – three years after all British lighthouses had been automated
    This report by Barry Gordon is not entirely accurate. It would have been simple to check on the NLB Web Page. He says he visited Dunnet Head Lighthouse in 1992 which was three years after all Lighthouses were Automated. This would mean that all Lighthouses were Automated by 1989.

WRONG !! In 1989 I was working on Stroma as a Lighthouse Keeper and it was not until 1990 it was decided to speed up the Automation Policy. I was made redundant in 1991 due to Automation but Lighthouses were still manned for some years after this.

The Last few Lighthouses were made Automatic on the 31 March 1998 some 9 years after what this Reporter claims. One of the Last Lights to go automatic was "Cape Wrath Lighthouse" where I was stationed for four and a half years in the 70's & 80's.

http://www.nlb.org.uk/ourlights/history/capewrath.htm

K

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    This report by Barry Gordon is not entirely accurate. It would have been simple to check on the NLB Web Page. He says he visited Dunnet Head Lighthouse in 1992 which was three years after all Lighthouses were Automated. This would mean that all Lighthouses were Automated by 1989.

WRONG !! In 1989 I was working on Stroma as a Lighthouse Keeper and it was not until 1990 it was decided to speed up the Automation Policy. I was made redundant in 1991 due to Automation but Lighthouses were still manned for some years after this.

The Last few Lighthouses were made Automatic on the 31 March 1998 some 9 years after what this Reporter claims. One of the Last Lights to go automatic was "Cape Wrath Lighthouse" where I was stationed for four and a half years in the 70's & 80's.

K
    was the shore station in golspie at that time??? tony

Yes it was in Golspie, I lived in Ross Street, but all the other Keepers lived in Tower Street.

We used to get a Taxi out to the Kyle of Durness and then we took the Small Ferry Launch across the Kyle, John Muir was the Boatman. There waiting for us on the other side was the Lighthouse Land Rover and we would drive the eleven and half miles up to the lighthouse. It was in about 1981 that we had the helicopter put on for the relief and we thne drove up to Dounreay and met the Helicopter there and we flown out to the Lighthouse.

K
    Last edited by Kodiak; 11-Dec-08 at 19:26.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

It was in about 1081 that we had the helicopter
    Amazing even before Leonardo da Vinci created a design for a machine, Groundbreaking crowd that lighthouse board

Thumbs down

hi kodiak
    was the principal keeper donald something at that time???its surprising the facts they get wrong now
    its says on that other site that pladda got a boat twice on sunday for the kirk
    we spent 14 months on it and was only off once for holidays. the boatman came once a week weather permitting from kildonan
    i did north rorthronaldsay. pladda and ushenish and in our time in oban had relieved on dubheartic more than enough only did 6 years and gave it up[no shore stations] regards tony

When I first arrived at Cape Wrath it was Johhny Pearson and Ewen Stewart who were the Principal Keepers. In about 1982 Donald McLeod replaced Ewen Stewart and a Better man you could not have met.

When I was a Supernumerary I was at Girdle Ness, Pladda, Neist Point, Cantick Head, Rattray Head and Ailsa Craig.

As a Keeper I was at Cape Wrath, Stroma and Muckle Flugga.

Then as an Attendant Observer at Holburn Head.

In all I lasted out a total of 25 Years for the Lighthouse Board, 9 Years with the Coast Guard and 5 Years with the Met Office. This was all during the same time period and while I worked as a Keeper.

My wife was also one of the very few Female Keepers and we were the only Lighthouse Keepers who were not only Married but worked at two different Lighthouses. There were a few married Lightkeepers but all, except us, worked at the same Lighthouse.

K
    Last edited by Kodiak; 11-Dec-08 at 21:59.

Edgar Allen Poe

Wow what an amazing article! It sounds like they're doing something really great out there.

Thumbs down

i did my supernumery all at north ronaldsay and was posted as assissant keeper to pladda right away
    i go to golspie quite a lot and it was there that i met donald
    the wife and bairns were delighted in oban. the house was new built when we went there .of course i only had 4 months a year there regards tony
    Last edited by Tighsonas4; 11-Dec-08 at 20:34. Reason: change

Default Splitin hairs.

K
    GONIE NO DO THAT,JUST GONIE NO?

Yuv taken that too far
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    GONIE NO DO THAT,JUST GONIE NO?

Yuv taken that too far

It might be splitting hairs to you that someone reporting that 70 Odd Lighthouses were closed in 1989 when they were not, also that he was 9 years out in time scale.

This to me is a bit more than splitting hairs and I believe that a writer for a Newspaper such as "The Scotsman" should research all details before he writes on a subject and not just write what he thinks he remembers from when he was 15 Years old.

Edgar Allen Poe

Wow what an amazing article! It sounds like they're doing something really great out there.

A little bit of an understatement I think..
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post

A little bit of an understatement I think..
    absolutely!!!
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Thanks to those with the kind words.

As for those complaining about lighthouses and when they were automated - I got my information from two (supposedly) good resources. Sorry for the upset, it clearly struck a very, very bad nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Thanks to those with the kind words.

As for those complaining about lighthouses and when they were automated - I got my information from two (supposedly) good resources. Sorry for the upset, it clearly struck a very, very bad nerve.

but it was in the paper???? it must be true

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article, Pepsi! Very interesting and well written.

Excellent article TPC!

Aye, TPC, a good article which can only help the cause of quality live music in Caithness. Dunnet was automated in 1989 but our resident Org pedants are right about the rest.
    Another point, Roddy frame has never played here. Roddy Hart has, however.
    Thanks again for the publicity.
    BTW, Did the piece get into the Record?

Default Jimmy Page

Who was playing at the gig Jimmy Page attended at Dunnet Hall. I'm sure he met some local lads in the Mey pub too.

Quote Originally Posted by stansmith View Post
    Who was playing at the gig Jimmy Page attended at Dunnet Hall. I'm sure he met some local lads in the Mey pub too.
    It was Wick band High Society who were playing in Mey Hall, not Dunnet. He was entertained by myself in The Mey pub.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast