Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Food processor/mixer recomendation needed

Default Food processor/mixer recomendation needed

I am doing a lot more baking now I have retired and could really do with a gadget to help but I don't know what to buy, I tried one but it emitted smoke when I tried to mix a pound of pastry so it went back, I don't understand the difference between a mixer and a processor but really need something which could manage a pound of pastry mix easily and do cakes and scones.

Thumbs up

Without a doubt it has to be the old faithful Kenwood Chef. It'll never let you down and will deal with the smallest amount (1 egg white) or the biggest batch bake for a charity sale. Highly recommend it.

Many thanks Buttercup, there are a lot of offers right now on Amazon so I will look there first for one.

I bought my kenwood chef on ebay ( its not the prettiest or newest model ) it was the same vintage as my mums one at approx 30years old but the newer accessories still fit it so it can grow as you add on things like the liquidiser etc...

the one thing I would reccomend getting for it is the splashcover for the bowl when using it as it saves a lot of mess if it is turned up too high the clouds of flour seem to be contained!
    They are good workhorses in the kitchen and can cope with lots and lots of baking (I make pastry with 20oz flour and 2 packs of butter in one go and it does it effortlessly)

Default Re food mixer

Quote Originally Posted by muffin View Post
    I am doing a lot more baking now I have retired and could really do with a gadget to help but I don't know what to buy, I tried one but it emitted smoke when I tried to mix a pound of pastry so it went back, I don't understand the difference between a mixer and a processor but really need something which could manage a pound of pastry mix easily and do cakes and scones.
    I would go along with the previous posts, Kenwood is by far the better mixer for small scale baking,
    I recently paid £500+ for a Kitchenaid, professional mixer, and I am most disappointed with it, not only did it not cope with bulk catering, it broke down after only a few weeks, it cost almost as much to repair as it did to buy, definately don't go for one of these.

the kenwood suits a busy kitchen with lots of baking as it works hard and makes decent sized batches of mix up not just 6 fairy cakes (which seam to be the only capability of some cheap proccessors) and they are built to last a lifetime of use and abuse!

Thanks to all of you who replied, so it is obviously a Kenwood Chef, they are pretty expensive even with all the latest sales reductions so I'll give ebay a chance first.

Default Re food mixers

Thanks to all of you who replied, so it is obviously a Kenwood Chef, they are pretty expensive even with all the latest sales reductions so I'll give ebay a chance first.
    Try comet auctions first, I have had all sorts from these people,
    and there is nothing wrong with them, perhaps ex-showroom with a slight scratch,
    you might be lucky and get a real bargain.

www.cometauctions.co.uk

Default Re food mixers

oops! re-comet auctions;
    http://www.clearance-comet.co.uk/

Boss, no joy at Comet clearance and on ebay old models are going for £60 plus £20 postage but Amazon have reduced the basic Chef by £85 and you get a fee liquidiser so that is going to be my Christmas present this year, happy baking in the New Year coming up.

Boss, no joy at Comet clearance and on ebay old models are going for £60 plus £20 postage but Amazon have reduced the basic Chef by £85 and you get a fee liquidiser so that is going to be my Christmas present this year, happy baking in the New Year coming up.
    Good, happy baking
    I love baking but have to be in the mood.

Can we all sample the results from your shiny new kenwood in the new year

Hope you find it as good as I do (even though mine is an old one and yours will be new)

Good decision muffin, you won't regret it. Good luck with the baking.

Thanks to all of you again, if you live anywhere near Lybster Dadie you are welcome to come and sample my baking.