Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Masses of birds

Smile Masses of birds

I was driving from Castletown to Wick at sunset when I saw an amazing flock of thousands of birds flying in unison ( Just afterBower,but before the O'Groats turn off). From far away the looked like a cloud under the influence of a demon wind. Close up, to see them fly together, twisting, turning dipping...it was amazing. Then they divided into smaller groups and bunched up so closely it looked like a solid black mass just hanging in the middle of the sky. It would be worth keeping your eye out the next few days to see this: it was a show and I wasn't the only person pulled over to watch it.
    I couldn't make out what they were.... they were very agile fliers and bigger than sparrows, but just could make them out.I was thinking maybe starlings?? Does anyone know? ( Sorry, but I'm ignorant of local bird life and behaviour).
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

They were probably starlings.

Sorry, but I'm ignorant of local bird life and behaviour
    You can join a beginners birdwatching class at Thurso college on Thursday nights. It starts in February.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 26-Jan-06 at 19:11.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

sounds amazin ju...will keep an eye out for them

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    They were probably starlings.

You can join a beginners birdwatching class at Thurso college on Thursday nights. It starts in February.

I'd love to, but I got me a lil guy, just three going on four and not patient enough to go to birdwatching classses....buuuuaaaaaaaa
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

unicorn Guest

Starlings look amazing at dusk.

Default birds wedding

We used to call it a birds wedding when we were young. I agree and it was probably starlings. Amazing sight.

We saw them a few times last year from Bower - they appeared to be near Dunnet and I didn't know what it was first time. Thought it was some weird cloud and then realised it must be birds. It is an amazing sight.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Default lotts of birds

hi i live in casletown by the baech and every night about 7 o clock they swom in there hundreds the hole sky is just coverd with them it makes me think of that tv program called the crow
    c jones