Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sad Fisherman needs HELP

Default Sad Fisherman needs HELP

Does anyone know of where we can get some common-old-garden worms locally?

Have tried both fishing tackle shops, own garden worms to sick looking to entice anything due to soil content, and other worms just won't do.

Any replies will be gratefully received as will humorous anecdotes etc.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

jjc Guest

Always used to use the lugworms (I think that's what they're called) that we dug up along Dunnet Beach.

When you see those little piles of sand that look like worms all along the shore, you will also be able to see indented funnels near each one (like little tiny craters). Find the spot half-way between the two and dig straight down - hey presto! Worms that fish like!

Alternatively, I remember there being and abundance of fields in Caithness... Grab a spade

Anonymous Guest

Default Worms

Forget using worms. Take a leaf out of the Afghani mujahadeen's book. When they were at war with Russia in the early 80's the CIA supplied them with surface to air missiles to shoot down helicopter gunships. Unfortunately when they went back later to see how they were doing they discovered all they had done was fire them into the local lakes. The explosion killed the fish which then floated to the surface. Effective but hardly sustainable!

All u need is a bucket of soapy water and pour it on 2 some grass and u will b amazed how many worms will appear!!

My kids go 2 the local swing park 4 them and they come back with jars of the things

Give it a try

Good luck!!

Default Re: The Wormies

Yo Paddy, you “barbarian” or should that be “philistine”? you can’t go doing things like that to the poor fishies, them there greenies have abolished fox hunting with dogs, and now turning their attention to us poor fisherman, by saying the practice is cruel.

We used to use “Thunder-Flashes” or the good old Mills Grenade (CDM – “Cadburys Dairy Milk” it was segmented like a bar of chocolate, so when it went bang, every body got a bit “). Oooh nasty

Also most of the weapons that where on loan from the CIA, where never found and in some cases where used against the coalition. Talk about all your chickens coming home to roost, mind you, they go scratting for worms as well don't they!

I’ve tried the soapy water bit Linzy, but what quantities to use? I tried half a bottle of the best (Fairy Lemon), and it rained over night. Unfortunately I woke up in the morning and thought we’d had a sudden snowstorm in the county. But joking apart, I think the soil content has a lot to do with it. So I’ve decided to bury all my waste veg in the garden. One it’s ecological and efficient (can be quite pongy though), and two I will have my own bunch of wormies for next year…

Some of the locals reckon its because the weather has been so dry of late, not that I’m complaining mind you, but Caithness in all her glory on an exceptional summers day, is just “breathtaking”.

Catch you later, Ciao,

Dave the Rave

Ps… how do you stop a fish smelling???

Chop its nose off!

Hey Dave the Rave

Why not start your own groovy worm farm - you remember - everyone did them at school.

Two bits of class and soil and it would be much quicker than your whole garden!!!

I am sure if you google it - i havent time hon sorry - you will find instructions

good luck

aberdon Guest

Default Fish

Two budgies on a perch.
    One says "Can you smell fish?"
    Sorry
    Paddy? A barbarian, never. A philistine possibly but never a barbarian.
    Anyway the philistine bit rules him out of squidges "Two bits of class and soil...".

Default Re: The Worm Saga

Nice budgie joke, and alright, Philistine he will be as regards to "google" I can only presume you mean the the search engine? Also I don't want to get too technical about this worm operation jobby. As being a slight perfectionist (you're not kidding mate! ), I don't want to go down that road of Worm Breeder. Imagine trying to tell someone what you do when ypor've had a few too many drams ( .

Come to think of it though, I could set up a web-site on wormies, how abou;

Wot Wopping Worms.com

Nah,

So I'll have to be patient and not get to broody whilst I'm waiting for my compost to rot.

Does it pong, as I do have neighbours? but then again!

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

Ps... Catch this fishy joke then -

Name 4 fish beginning with K

Default Re: The Worm Saga

Quote Originally Posted by dpw39
    Also I don't want to get too technical about this worm operation jobby. As being a slight perfectionist (you're not kidding mate! ), I don't want to go down that road of Worm Breeder. Imagine trying to tell someone what you do when ypor've had a few too many drams ( .
    A friend is doing this just now. Not at the retail stage yet but getting there.