Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Curry base(restaurant style)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,352

    Default Curry base(restaurant style)

    Here is my recipe for the Curry base that they use in Restaurants.
    I worked in In an Indian and learnt this. Have reduced the quantity to make it easier for everyone!.
    Once you've made this base it will do approx 4 portions of sauce that can feed 2 or 3 each time genorously. Its ideal for freezing.
    Once you've made this you can make ANY curry you want.(I will post some here!)

    heres the base:
    Curry Base


    Serves 8


    5 Onions (roughly cut)
    2 Carrots (sliced)
    2 Poatatoes (sliced)
    5/6 Cloves of Garlic (sliced)
    1 Red Pepper (rough cut)
    3 Chiilis


    1x 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes


    Curry mix:
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp ground Coriander
    1tsp Turmeric
    1 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Curry Powder
    tsp Garam Masala


    1 pint of stock or (1 pint of water and 2 Chichken stock cubes)

    Method:
    Put 2 tbsp on Groundnut oil in large pan.
    Fry all the veg for 5 mins approx.
    Add your curry mix and fry for a further 5 mins.
    Add Tin of tomatoes and stock.
    Stir,Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour approx.
    Allow to cool and then Liquidise into 4 x 600ml Containers.


    I make this regularly and thought I'd share it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    414

    Talking Yummy!

    Sounds lovely Hotrod but i prefer a curry as a carry out so next time ur makin a batch ma address is........................Lol

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjr014 View Post
    Sounds lovely Hotrod but i prefer a curry as a carry out so next time ur makin a batch ma address is........................Lol
    I can send it Digitally to you, may be abit messy by the time it comes down your line though!!

  4. #4

    Default curry base

    whatever u got for ur curry recipes, don't forget the cream, it makes ur curry smoothy n creamy

  5. #5

    Thumbs up Curries

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Once you've made this you can make ANY curry you want.(I will post some here!)
    I have tried your Dhansak using your Base sauce & it was excellento. What other curry recipes do you have then?

    Cheers,
    Kcb.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    dark side of the moon
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    I would like to see more of your curry recipes too
    A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Just made a batch of your curry base and planning to make a dhansak with some of it tomorrow, The base itself is very tasty. Any chance of some more recipes



    Thinking I am going to get fat(ter)!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A9RUNNER View Post
    Just made a batch of your curry base and planning to make a dhansak with some of it tomorrow, The base itself is very tasty. Any chance of some more recipes



    Thinking I am going to get fat(ter)!!
    Have posted another 2 for you to try.
    You can experiment with the base and add bits and bobs to it to make different curries.
    As long as you stick to the base plus garlic & tom puree, you can add whatever ingredients you like to make your own style.( i.e 2 onions to make dopiaza etc).
    If you want hot curry then always add chilli if not then leave it out. (fresh is better as it has a more pungent taste)
    Glad you like the base!. Its so much fun making your own and the aroma makes you hungry!!
    Last edited by hotrod4; 30-Jan-09 at 07:39.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    147

    Default

    The Dhansak was fantastic!! Blew the door out of any takeaway I have had before. I can see my take-away spend reducing. Will go for a Bhuna next then start experimenting myself.

    Dont suppose you can tell me how to make a nana bread as shop bought ones are rubbish!
    Last edited by A9RUNNER; 01-Feb-09 at 21:59.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A9RUNNER View Post
    The Dhansak was fantastic!! Blew the door out of any takeaway I have had before. I can see my take-away spend reducing. Will go for a Bhuna next then start experimenting myself.

    Dont suppose you can tell me how to make a nana bread as shop bought ones are rubbish!
    Will post it shortlY for you!!!!!

  11. #11

    Default

    Hi i have just cone across your curry base that im going to make but could you give a recipe for a madras to go with the base please?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Longside
    Posts
    5,906

    Default

    You will find it here http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...ghlight=madras

    Its really quite nice.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

  13. #13

    Default

    Hi, love the look of this base recipe - I can never get a curry to work for me but this looks really promising so I will try again today. What would I have to add to make something not too strong like a rogan Josh please? And thank you again for sharing.... also what about a recipe for nan bread and chapati's? Getting very adventurous now...lol X

  14. #14

    Default more recipes please hotrod

    i need more of your recipes hotrod....made your curry base and have got the dhansak and bhuna recipes but need more, more, more....they're GREAT.....many thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Here is my recipe for the Curry base that they use in Restaurants.
    I worked in In an Indian and learnt this. Have reduced the quantity to make it easier for everyone!.
    Once you've made this base it will do approx 4 portions of sauce that can feed 2 or 3 each time genorously. Its ideal for freezing.
    Once you've made this you can make ANY curry you want.(I will post some here!)

    heres the base:
    Curry Base


    Serves 8


    5 Onions (roughly cut)
    2 Carrots (sliced)
    2 Poatatoes (sliced)
    5/6 Cloves of Garlic (sliced)
    1 Red Pepper (rough cut)
    3 Chiilis


    1x 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes


    Curry mix:
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp ground Coriander
    1tsp Turmeric
    1 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Curry Powder
    tsp Garam Masala


    1 pint of stock or (1 pint of water and 2 Chichken stock cubes)

    Method:
    Put 2 tbsp on Groundnut oil in large pan.
    Fry all the veg for 5 mins approx.
    Add your curry mix and fry for a further 5 mins.
    Add Tin of tomatoes and stock.
    Stir,Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour approx.
    Allow to cool and then Liquidise into 4 x 600ml Containers.


    I make this regularly and thought I'd share it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Where can I find the dhansak recipe? Can't seem to find it on here? And the bhuna would be good too if anyone can find it? Thanks.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Longside
    Posts
    5,906

    Default

    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Tried this myself, The base is fantastic so made the Bhuna and although better than off the shelf jars it just wasnt as good as the likes of the Spice Tandoori.

    There is so many spices its hard to pinpoint what to tweak to give it the edge apart from trial and error

    Any good Jalfrezi recipes to go with the base I could try ?


    Also If your needing spices/herbs go to the Weigh2save scoop shop in Dempster street......I needed Fenugreek leaves and this is where I got them. Great selection of ingredients

    Phone number no longer works after letting her know but she was aware and yet to amend the homepage
    Last edited by octane; 26-Jan-13 at 13:01.

  18. #18

    Default

    hi just made your curry sauce one word SUPERB!!!!!!!!! keep the recipies coming.

  19. #19

    Default

    hi any chance of a dopoiaza and rogan josh recipe please. lovely base curry recipe, thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •